Bore Solvents/Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the gun. For my Glock, hot water.

For most other things, I've been using the aerosol cans of Super Lube lately. I spray it down the barrel and pull a bore snake or knotted cord through it.

Since I've been doing that the barrel in my Remington 870 doesn't get near as dirty as it used to.

Depends on the fouling. High power rifle,black powder, reloads.......it just depends.

I use brake cleaner and breakfree on most of my carry guns.

Hey guys,

So far you all use a wide variety of solvents to clean your smoke poles but more people seem to use just Hoppe's No. 9.

I think Hoppe's is good and pretty inexpensive compared to others but I find a little too mild unless you can spare allot of time to soak in the solvent.

Thank you all for your imput. I was just curious.

Durango

Last edited:
Kroil cleans lead and powder fouling better than anything else on the market.
Wipeout removes copper fouling like nothing else.
Both products are a vast improvement over Hoppes.

MPRO-7 hands down. It desolves carbon and is non toxix. You dont get the fumes of the harsh solvents and it will not damage any finish. You can even clean polymer parts. It speaks for itself. It is used by special forces members, many law enforcement agencies and competitive shooters. Check it out.

AzFireGuy79,

You have a good product as I too use MP Pro-7 on mu pistols and rifle barrels. It's pretty expensive but it's worth every dime and it doesn't smell up the house.

Another product one might consider is PROLIX. I use this item for my frames and other parts and use MP Pro-7 for my barrels only.

Durango

For rifles and handguns with a lot of copper fouling, Shooters Choice works the best for me. Shotgun chokes with powder and plastic fouling, Shooters Choice dissolves it quickly. It's expensive, but worth it IMHO.

Big fan of the premium Hoppes stuff. As always, YMMV.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
grin2.gif

firemachine,

If it's what I think you describ then it's the same as the MP-Pro7. Good stuff with out the ugly smell.

Durango

I've always used Hoppes #9. Probably not the best available, but the smell brings back a lot of memories of going shooting with my Dad.

95% of my cleaning is done with Weapons shield gun oil.

After a few thousand rounds down range I'll use butches bore shine or gunslick foaming bore cleaner.

Mpro is good, but it removes all rust protection, make sure to try and reoil after use.

2 drops Dawn and water works just as good as mro7

I agree with AzFireGuy79 about MPro7 gun cleaner. I think that Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner is actually the same product. No smell (you can use it inside) and it cleans a gun barrel really good.

I like to use Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner if I need to clean my gun inside. If I can clean the gun outside Hoppe's No. 9 works pretty good, and the smell brings back memories.

I don't think there is too much copper buildup in a normal handgun but in a rifle you can get more copper buildup. I think it is a good idea to use a copper remover once a year on handgun barrels-something like Hoppe's Bench Rest or Shooter's Choice will work pretty good. Don't use brass cleaning rods ir you use a powerful copper remover!

I am still trying to make up my mind about a gun oil. Maybe WeaponShield or else Hoppe's Elite gun oil with some grease in a few critical places.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
grin2.gif

firemachine,

If it's what I think you describ then it's the same as the MP-Pro7. Good stuff with out the ugly smell.

Durango

I actually don't mind the smell... It's pretty pleasant, for both Hoppe's #9 and Hoppe's Elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back