Book Time Repair Costs

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've heard many shops mention the "book time" of a job: "Well, the book says this job is XX hours ..."

What book? Is there one book for all the cars (hard to imagine) or are there books for each car? Maybe a service manual for each make of car? Maybe the book is on a computer server somewhere, and a shop would log in and describe the job and the make, year, model of car ...

Anyway, I'd really like to understand the system behind this book time thing. Thanks?

Multiple agencies write labor time standards, including manufacturers. Mitchell, Motor, and Chilton are the 3 aftermarket outfits that I know of. And yes, the 3 aftermarket companies write time standards for all makes and models. Partially from their own in-house studies, and partially with help from manufacturers.

Mitchell and Alldata are the main ones. Dealers sometimes do 1.5x warranty time for customer-pay repairs. Some shops also add a labor multiplier for larger jobs or older vehicles.

Ultimately, it is a guide. Shops are welcome to charge what they see fit for customer pay repairs.

The book time is often able to be beat allowing the mechanic to make a little extra money on the job.

Originally......There were giant Labor Guide books, Then you had Floppy/CD-ROM.....Now everything is Web based subscriptions. Same with repair information.

The one thing the older systems had going was You Own the information, I still have 100's of "bound" Repair/Service Manuals along with several Alldata & GM CD-ROM's.

Originally......There were giant Labor Guide books, Then you had Floppy/CD-ROM.....Now everything is Web based subscriptions. Same with repair information.

The one thing the older systems had going was You Own the information, I still have 100's of "bound" Repair/Service Manuals along with several Alldata & GM CD-ROM's.
I just came online to ask about that very situation. Thanks for the anticipatory pre-sponce.

"Book" is really there for the mechanics to tell the customers this is where I get the idea of how to charge you. The customers are still free to get another quote from another mechanic who is 1) more experienced so he can beat the book or 2) is desperate for work so he will do it for less or 3) he can save money by using "modules" and charge less on labor and more on parts (replace the whole thing with a reman unit instead of rebuilding it following the book). 4) You are a good customer who spend a lot there regularly so he will want to keep you with a slight discount.

Back