Bolt action .223, best bang for the $ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tired of being held hostage on .22mag ammo and the cost doesn't justify it over the .223. I want an accurate low cost bolt .223 for range fun and a varmint here & there.

Ruger Americans get good reviews, what's your pick ?

BTW, my 22mag is an older CZ but I don't want to spend that much on this .223.

My Ruger 10-22 is well made, but built 25 years ago. I'd like a carbine which shoots .45ACP of which I have, well, plenty. Ruger has made one in 9 and in .357 as I recall. Man, when I think of the way the 16 would chew up .223 with a 30 round mag. Boys, BOYS....fire discipline!!!!

BTW I kinda like that .22 mag, too bad production runs are so low.

Last edited:
I know that, I have my $$$ long run guns. At my age the "long run" would be a younger persons short run.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What's the difference in ammo cost?

Last I checked 22mag was 7-10 cents a round more than 223

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
My Ruger 10-22 is well made, but built 25 years ago. I'd like a carbine which shoots .45ACP of which I have, well, plenty.

Yeah me and my buddies love Ruger. We have all had great firearms by them. From 1911's and 22's to the Blackhawk and Vaquero. But have you ever looked into the the Hi-Point 45acp carbine? It looks decent. I have heard it's reliable and is accurate. For the price, it's a good deal and a better product than their handguns.

Howa 1500 is a great 223

Can't go wrong with the savage either. I think they made a bare bones version under the Stevens name also. Just did not have the accu-trigger.

Originally Posted By: HighMileCummins
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
My Ruger 10-22 is well made, but built 25 years ago. I'd like a carbine which shoots .45ACP of which I have, well, plenty.

Yeah me and my buddies love Ruger. We have all had great firearms by them. From 1911's and 22's to the Blackhawk and Vaquero. But have you ever looked into the the Hi-Point 45acp carbine? It looks decent. I have heard it's reliable and is accurate. For the price, it's a good deal and a better product than their handguns.
I'll take a look at that High Point.

CZ does make a nice .223 rifle with old world craftsmanship.

I always thought they were not cheap but, instead, a great value.

Nice writeup in American Rifleman on the Savage package rifle, the Axis XP. They tested it in .308, but it comes in .223. very accurate as well as inexpensive, scope is included for $400.

When you say low cost what are you looking for? My .223 is a Savage 10 PC which has a heavy barrel, Accustock and Accutrigger. I recently got my wife a Savage Axis .223 which still has the Accutrigger and comes with a cheap Bushnell scope for a few hundred, thread here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3513960/1

Those Axis guns are what I would call a great deal and very good bang for the buck
thumbsup2.gif

Very hard to beat a Savage for accuracy and cost. They sure have perfected the button rifling process.

It's been mentioned above, but I'll chime in: If I was looking for a new .223 bolt action, a Savage with the Accu-Trigger would be at the top of the list.

I've got a CZ527 in .223, and it's extremely accurate for a light weight sporter, getting under 1" at 100 consistently (some detached clover leafs), with everything from 53gr Sierra match to 60gr V-Max. American Eagles were around 1"

I use 4198 and 3031 equivalent (Oz made, by the people who make Varget).

I've shot it out to 600 yards with the full bore guys, and can hit a small dinner plate sized target every time at 600.

It's got a detachable mag, which is very very handy, but the mag is scratchy to load, which is annoying if in a hurry.

The single set trigger is pretty good used normally, and exceptional on set.

And it's chambered for the military rounds, so has a long throat and will swallow surplus happily out to a couple hundred yards before the 1:12 twist lets the long 63 gr projectiles keyhole....I like the flexibility post zombie apocalypse not to have a .223 match chamber.

I'm pretty sure the Savage mod 12 varmint with thumb hole stock will be my next gun
smile.gif

Thanks to all of you.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
I'm pretty sure the Savage mod 12 varmint with thumb hole stock will be my next gun
smile.gif

Thanks to all of you.

Hard to go wrong with the Savage. The accutrigger is excellent and easily adjusted. I have the Model 10 Precision Carbine and it's phenomenal. Shoots as good or better than any Remington 700 I have ever owned.

Another option is the the Howa. This has become my favorite rifle. They are widely used by Japanese snipers. They are incredibly accurate and reliable, based on the tried and true weatherby vangard.

I already have the Howa (Whitworth Express .375 H&H) so I know they are very good guns. You have one thing reversed, the Weatherby Vangard is based on the tried and true M1500. S&W, Mossberg, Interarms also put their names on the M1500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back