BOLD 9870 -> iPhone -> BOLD 9900

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, had an "upgrade" on one of our lines, and due to a project for work, I decided to grab an iPhone (with all its made-in-China goodness) to try on our Cisco VPN and with Exchange. We have a PILE of BlackBerry devices as we have been using RIM since the 950 but there have been grumblings by a few staff members about wanting Apple products. This has now reached the upper echelons of the company and I was asked to ensure that it was going to work.

So I figured I'd grab an iPhone and see what all the fuss was about. I've played with them before, but that was just to setup something for somebody.... I've never owned one.

So I had the thing for about a week. The device it "replaced" (which I still had) was a Blackberry BOLD 9780. Not my favourite RIM device, which had been my old BOLD 9000. It (the 9000) had the largest screen and best keyboard IMHO. Anyway, this was a chance for me to "check our the commotion" so to speak.

And how.

The interface was pretty. I upgraded the phone to IOS 5 right out of the box. Activated it on Exchange but had some issues with PUSH not working correctly. We've never used Windows Mobile devices (which is what the iPhone uses to communicate with Exchange) so with a little troubleshooting, things appeared to be working correctly and everything including Calendar, Tasks, Mail, Contacts...etc was accessible.

I use WiFi a LOT. We have it at the house, I have it at work. And since Canadian data plans are pretty suck-tacular, it makes sense to use it. Apparently not with the iPhone if you want the battery to last more than a day. Something I'd apparently taken for granted..... I was quite surprised to see the battery almost in the red after being at the office all day and only using it for a few phone calls and e-mail. It was a pretty light day considering....

Then I added an appointment to my calendar. By default, the BB flags a 15 minute reminder. Apparently, again, this isn't the case with the iPhone. I didn't forget my appointment, but was curious as to why I wasn't notified. Checked the appointment in the calendar... Yup, it was there. But there was no notifier set.... OK. There was going to have to be some adaption made I see.

Then I went to look up a person in my address book. My address book is HUGE. That proved to be a pain in the rear trying to navigate using the letters on the side, then scrolling through to find who I was looking for.

The phone defaults to whatever you were last using in it. So recent calls? That's what comes up. Contacts? That's what comes up. I found that annoying. The BB always had my calls list shown.

The browser was WAAAAAAYYYYYY faster on the iPhone. Not even comparable.

I discovered Angry Birds wasn't free. And the free version was ad-city
frown.gif

Day two and battery life sucked equally bad.

The device felt "quality" however, with the aluminum and glass. "Classy" even?

Sound quality through my bluetooth tether in the M5 was no better than the BB.

You can't just hit "DEL" on the keyboard to remove an e-mail from your mailbox (a caveat of having no keyboard). That is annoying. I can get up to 100 e-mails a day, and due to the font size, not only is the list of e-mails shown quite small, but having to select and delete to remove multiple messages proved to be a more difficult endeavour on this device as well.

I didn't have BBM. This drove me nuts. Texting just doesn't cut it for me, and anybody who says iMessage is a viable competitor for BBM needs to lay off the copious amount of barbiturates required to come to that conclusion. BBM destroys it in every possible way. Apple needs to try harder here IMHO.

And, quite predictably, I missed the physical keyboard.... I REALLY missed the physical keyboard.

So, after a week, I took advantage of Rogers 15-day return policy and got a BOLD 9900. It is just as fast as the iPhone in browsing (finally!) but does all the other things I need a business device to do properly. It also brings back the best keyboard RIM ever offered, which was that on the BOLD 9000. It is also aluminum like the iPhone and feels a lot "classier" than the 9780. With a touchscreen, I find it offers everything I liked about using the iPhone (except for Angry Birds) and everything I missed about not having my BlackBerry.

I think if I was using this as a personal device, I wouldn't have been as bothered by what I consider the shortcomings of the iPhone. But the amount of typing I do, and the reliance on PIM stuff, the Blackberry is still just a much better fit IMO.

Very similar story here: went back to my old Nokia E71 for now. Physical keyboard is irreplaceable, and it fits my palm ideally - I can use just one hand to quickly reply to a message. Thank you on the 9990 heads-up. Shall look into this option soon.

Totally agree with OVERK1LL's statement.

Some of my cowokers came from RIM and said the CEO is VERY focused on 2 things: battery life and data minimization.

This was from the origin before carriers massively upgrade their infrastructure for the iPhone and businesses really were paying for the bytes on the pager type devices. BB is a pickup truck vs iPhone is a mini cooper; they are very very different.

You are not going to reach the same battery life or the speed of email typing / responding with iPhone. The whole architecture from the ground up is very different.

Last edited:
I get >>100 messages a day at work and are very good at keeping up with them. The BB will let me type a message faster/better.

The iphone is better for viewing/reading emails, and for long strings of data, for as much as I like the BB trackball, swiping on the screen of the iphone is more efficient.

Set up the right way, I can see plenty of info on messages on either one. Pushes work fine for both.

There are pros and cons to both. With my use, the BB battery life edges out the iphone by about a day. On average, I think I get 3 days with the BB and 2 with the iphone. I use both fairly heavily. I do not use wifi ot bluetooth on either.

My BB tour is far LESS efficient when using the phone than the iphone. The battery drains far faster on the BB.

What kind of iPhone are we talking about? A regular iPhone 4 I am guessing?

Battery life on my 4S is better than my new Blackberry Torch 9810. I have always found that a smartphone needs a good 7-10 days of charging to normalize the battery. I can get two full days out of my iPhone with medium use.

As far as call quality, I wouldn't expect the iPhone to be better than the BB. The iPhone is pretty good but this is one of the key features BB strives on: call quality and antenna strength.

I love a blackberry keyboard and something about a BB's keyboard click is oddly satisfying. But I can also type pretty fast on an iPhone in landscape mode. It has the best virtual keyboard. And the auto correct is good enough that I can kinda mash something close to the letter and ios will fix it.

With all that being said I can still see why people always stick with a BB. Hopefully the new BBX operating system puts RIM back on the map.

I can't believe that iphones don't have "ringer/sound profiles" !!! BBs do that so much better. WTH? either everything (email/text/FB notification) rings or everything silent!
frown.gif

with my BB i can have different profiles where I can choose for example: to make a sound when a call or text comes in but not for FB messages OR make a sound only for calls but not texts etc etc...can customize everything.

and the iphone 4s still can't do that? that's really annoying

You either love the physical keyboard or it doesn't matter to you at all. I've found people that are accustomed to physical kb's on their phone have the hardest time migrating to an iPhone or Android touch phone. Many return to BB or a device with that physical kb attached. It's a complete deal breaker for them.

As for iPhone battery life, I found and have many people buy one of the $0.99 memory free-er programs. Back in the iOS 3.x days they were called "FreeMemory" or "MemoryInfo". Since then, Apple made them change the name of the program, but they're still in the AppStore though. No single thing increased battery life like either of these.

Time & time again, people bring their new iPhone to my office to setup Exchange, they'd mention the battery can run down quick at times. They would buy the app, come back to my office in a day or two and say how much longer the battery life is, happy campers indeed. I tell them to 1-2x per day, just run the program, it will clear out the memory to keep processes from going rogue. That's it.

Seems even more important with iOS5 on my 3GS than it did with v4.x on this device.

Once a BB always a BB user? That's what I've found overall...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I get >>100 messages a day at work and are very good at keeping up with them. The BB will let me type a message faster/better.

The iphone is better for viewing/reading emails, and for long strings of data, for as much as I like the BB trackball, swiping on the screen of the iphone is more efficient.

Set up the right way, I can see plenty of info on messages on either one. Pushes work fine for both.

There are pros and cons to both. With my use, the BB battery life edges out the iphone by about a day. On average, I think I get 3 days with the BB and 2 with the iphone. I use both fairly heavily. I do not use wifi ot bluetooth on either.

My BB tour is far LESS efficient when using the phone than the iphone. The battery drains far faster on the BB.

Coming from an old Tour (with the ball instead of the newer optical track pad), you may get a better idea as to what I'm describing if you check out the 9900. You can swipe the screen and all that stuff now. Pinch-zoom....etc. But you retain the full physical keyboard.

To answer the other question asked by another poster, yes it was just a regular iPhone 4. Not a 4S.

I think the main difference between BB and IPhone is the usage profile, BB is mainly for business use with little personal/consumer use, and iPhone is personal/consumer device that can be used for light-medium work.
For heavier business usage, iPad is more suitable than iPhone.
So it is not really easy to compare between them as each having their niche.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
I think the main difference between BB and IPhone is the usage profile, BB is mainly for business use with little personal/consumer use, and iPhone is personal/consumer device that can be used for light-medium work.

But they DO get cross-shopped even in business, which is why I decided to try it out.

For heavy emailing, BB is best. But even doing simple stuff like looking at documents, BB falls short. BB phonecall life is a big issue too.

That said, if work gave me an option between BB and iphone for work ue, Id stick with the BB... For as much as I love and prefer my iphone for most everything.

For heavy emailing, BB is best. But even doing simple stuff like looking at documents, BB falls short. BB phonecall life is a big issue too.

That said, if work gave me an option between BB and iphone for work ue, Id stick with the BB... For as much as I love and prefer my iphone for most everything.

I must add that again that you are comparing using an older phone. Documents to Go on even the older 9780 made working with Excel sheets a decent experience. On the 9900, it is as it should be.

I have documents to go. It works fine. Doesnt mean that it works as well as I would like. It still doesnt change that the screen size is vastly different.

I have documents to go. It works fine. Doesnt mean that it works as well as I would like. It still doesnt change that the screen size is vastly different.

Definitely screen size is factor. Though the 9900 again has a larger screen
wink.gif
Pinch-zoom is a big plus as well. Something I liked about the iPhone and is nice to have on the Blackberry finally.

not as large as the iphone in landscape mode...

No, but having used both back-to-back, the difference doesn't bother me. It isn't huge. I've used phones with larger screens than the iPhone too. But at that point, they are REALLY big "devices" and IMHO, get cumbersome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back