Boeing 767 crash near Houston, TX

Just read the Feb 24 NTSB briefing from Aviation Herald. During the arrival they were offered vectors around rain/precip. They have video from a camera at a nearby jail showing a nose dive consistent with eyewitness reports. They referenced the sheriff's observation that they found little if any fuel at the crash site.

It was confirmed that the crash site was only 100x200 yds. So it went down intact.

How much fuel would a 763 expect to have at that time given 30nm is from the airport?

Originally Posted by clarkflower
You are wrong. The 7000 rate was at 3000. It was going up and down. If the witness saw it at 1500 feet or 800 feet you have no idea what the rate of descent was.
When the nose goes over it does not instantly go to 25,000 fps down. 7000 fps down is not normal.

I'm going by what you said. You put up all the numbers, not me. If you don't know, then don't say. None of it changes the fact a 7,000 FPM rate of descent translates to a vertical speed of just under 80 MPH.

Originally Posted by billt460
You are wrong. The 7000 rate was at 3000. It was going up and down. If the witness saw it at 1500 feet or 800 feet you have no idea what the rate of descent was.
When the nose goes over it does not instantly go to 25,000 fps down. 7000 fps down is not normal.

I'm going by what you said. You put up all the numbers, not me. If you don't know, then don't say. None of it changes the fact a 7,000 FPM rate of descent translates to a vertical speed of just under 80 MPH.

If you watch the video from Juan Browne, the data that's available shows a descent of nearly 30,000 FPM in the last few seconds of flight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KD0AXS
If you watch the video from Juan Browne, the data that's available shows a descent of nearly 30,000 FPM in the last few seconds of flight.

I'll buy that. 30,000 FPM translates to a 340 MPH vertical rate of descent. Especially if it's true that the crash site was only 100x200 yds. (As was posted above).

If you're close to landing, a 763 would have at least 8,000# of fuel. Typically more like 12,000# at that point.

Update on the jumpseater: his family was a young wife, young daughter and baby boy.

The go fund me from fellow pilots just crossed $100,000.

What you missed is acceleration

No, it would appear you did.

When the nose goes over it does not instantly go to 25,000 fps down.

We all know Amazon treats their warehouse workers and drivers like disposable goods, I wonder if they are overworking the staff at Atlas Air? Sure, the plane might be carrying Li-based batteries but was there any clue of a fire or it could be have been other things?

Too early to tell causes.

However, the freight dogs, like Atlas, work a lot of back side of the clock flights and don't have the rest/fatigue regulations that allly to passenger airlines.

No. Not certainly. It's hard to tell anything from that video with a grainy blur in one corner. You can't tell attitude, or speed, or descent angle.

What good does idle speculation do at this point?

The good thing is they will recover most all the pieces. The flight voice recorder is recovered. The main recorder will be also. They will get to the bottom of this, the bad part is the amount of time it takes.

Rod

Originally Posted by Astro14
No. Not certainly. It's hard to tell anything from that video with a grainy blur in one corner. You can't tell attitude, or speed, or descent angle.

What good does idle speculation do at this point?

Right!
The accident happened.
The questions involve why and how it happened and what can be done to prevent it happening again.
What it looked like from a comfortable chair means nothing.
This crew wasn't sitting in their 767 waiting to die.

Juan Browne's video update.

Throttles were advanced to maximum, and nose was pushed over in a 49° dive, resulting in impact within 20 seconds.

Question is, did one of the pilots make these control inputs, or was it the autopilot?

Where is this data (dive angle, throttle position) coming from?

Is this NTSB?

Last edited:
Back