BMW synthetic 5w-30 vs German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JAG
No pics but I do have some good descriptions of the deposits in my mother's BMW 328i here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post812589

My coworker's BMW was totaled recently while parked along a road at a car service station and it was there for a rapid oil leak. I can't get pics of it now. It was a little more filthy looking inside the oil fill cap area than my mother's BMW.

Thanks Jag. I was going to keep track if you had pics. I was hoping someone did valve cover gaskets or something.

thanks

Originally Posted By: Jett Rink

Stay tuned for Auto Rx results.

I will!

I purchased an 04 325Ci 5mt with ~32k mi a couple weeks ago, and was able to find out through the servicing dealer that the oil had been changed 3 (known) times: ~7k at one calender year, ~12k at SI light, and ~27k at SI light with Inspection 1 performed at the same time.

So, it's seen one 15k OCI as far as I can tell, and now I'm about 5k miles into the current interval with ~10k miles indicated until oil time...thinking of dumping the BMW oil and going with GC.

Any filter suggestions? (OEM?)

Brandon

Originally Posted By: Brandon26pdx
Originally Posted By: Jett Rink

Stay tuned for Auto Rx results.

I will!

I purchased an 04 325Ci 5mt with ~32k mi a couple weeks ago, and was able to find out through the servicing dealer that the oil had been changed 3 (known) times: ~7k at one calender year, ~12k at SI light, and ~27k at SI light with Inspection 1 performed at the same time.

So, it's seen one 15k OCI as far as I can tell, and now I'm about 5k miles into the current interval with ~10k miles indicated until oil time...thinking of dumping the BMW oil and going with GC.

Any filter suggestions? (OEM?)

Brandon

GC was on sale until today. Hope you was able to pick some up for the cheap price!

I sure wouldn't put 5W30 in my BMW. Needs HTHS 3.5 at least. Do either of the oils mentioned have a HTHS of 3.5? 500kms into RX clean phase with Helix Ultra 5W40 and smoother alreasdy. Will run it 4-5,000kms

If you want to compare GC to the BMW 5w-30, I posted a VOA of the BMW oil about 2 years ago. There are several GC VOAs.

If you look for my last OUA post on my BMW, it shows two runs of BMW 5w-30 at about 5000 miles (the two with >100ppm of moly) the others are all GC, 26100 mile UOA is 5 quarts of gold/ 2 quarts of green GC, 31400 is all gold GC, 41879 and 47226 are both green GC. There will be another gold GC UOA later this week.

2003 BMW 330Ci UOAs

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I sure wouldn't put 5W30 in my BMW. Needs HTHS 3.5 at least. Do either of the oils mentioned have a HTHS of 3.5? 500kms into RX clean phase with Helix Ultra 5W40 and smoother alreasdy. Will run it 4-5,000kms

They both meet BMW LL specs.

Originally Posted By: sprintman

I don't have a reference offhand, but I'm pretty sure an oil that is ACEA A3/B3 rated, as are the BMW 5w-30 and the CG 0w-30, has to have a min HTHS vis of 3.5.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: docvb
Am I the only that does not like the BMW synth oil? Although everyone says the same thing, " this is good, this is a sleeper, the stuff is robust...."

Have you ever seen the stuff?

It has a red-like tint (yes, it stains) that is obviously cosmetic (and therefore distrusted) and is very jell-like, most unlike any other synthetic oil I've ever had experience with. It is certainly unlike any 5W-30 oil and quite unlike GC.

And then there's the sludge issue. You figure that most of the sludged cars were running the synthetic bmw lube.

And then there's the cost issue. The stuff is cheaper at a BMW DEALERSHIP than real synthetics at WALMART. This suggests to me that the actual product value is 40 cents a quart to the BMW stealership. No way this is a quality product.

Anyone else with these same suspicions?
\

Have I ever seen it? Sure...seen it, used it, UOA'd it, had UOA results analysed by a well respected professional. You... "it looks very gel-like".

Apart from that observation, I'm not sure what you're basing your suspicions upon, but that's the problem with suspicions. My statements are based upon reviews of UOA's on this site (using the search function, you can too), my UOA's, and Terry Dyson's comments on my UOAs.

BMW Synthetic is known to be Castrol Softec TXT 5w-30, which is not a cheap oil. It is not marketed outside BMW dealerships in North America. If you were going to buy it in Europe, you'd likely pay well over $20/L.

Also, I'm not sure why it would be suggested that BMW would recommend and bottle its own oil if it didn't meet its own LL-01 spec. However, if you have any doubt, here is the product specification on Softec TXT:

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...1_B1567_02.pdf.

Finally, the sludged bmw's I'm aware of missed a few oil changes. Missing a few oil changes in this context means they went close to 50k miles on one fill of oil.

I choose GC because its about the same price as BMW dealership oil, and its cold properties are better. I don't think you'd see much difference in UOA's even at 10k miles between the two. I would say the same thing between GC and RTS 5w-40....again, based on UOA's.

http://www.performingimports.com/maint.htm

Take a look at the pictures to the right. I'm familiar with that shop personally, The owner is an automotive engineer, came here from Germany, and was formerly an employee of Mercedes Benz in Germany. The majority of these engines sludge with the BMW oil taken to the SI light recommendation. Unfortunately, it's not very consistent, some engines do, some simply don't. I think it also has to do with the way the vehicle is driven as well. These engines like being driven hard, it's what they were designed for.

Very true about the driving characteristic. I have a feeling a good deal of the sludged up engines that aren't very high in miles are simply from people putting around town never going over 3k rpms!

There will be a new sale at Pep Boys next week. I saw the early sign for a Castrol Syntec + PureOne filter combo 24.99 (5.99 max filter price i think), (or was it mobil filter?) Anyways try next week. My friend and I bought 5w-30 Castrol Syntec marked down because of the mistake and the manager took the sign down.

Autozone is having the same sale, I don't know until when. It's 25.99 for 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec and a Bosch Premium oil filter. I'm going to try to return the filter since they didn't have mine and I bought some Tercel filter.

Hello,
After reading about oils on Ferrari forum from AEHaas, got me more questions. So I signed up here, and read more (I had and have BMW), so this thread got me wonder as well, as somebody says BMW A3/B3 cert oil have HTHS around 3.5, which should be same as CG. Now I have datasheet from Castrol website where it said 0W-30 (BMW LL01) has HTHS 2.9, so is something wrong with this numbers?

Castrol USA

Castrol datasheets are terrible. Notice the label in the left column. 2.9 is minimum allowable 30wt viscosity, not their 0W-30's.

Oh, That's right, Thanks I did not read right.
So did you read about oil on Ferrari forum, so would you fill your car with 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil as this guy said. The biggest problem I have it's may not work on BMW engines due to Vanos required specific oil pressure to valve train in right position.
AEHaas

i really dont see what the big deal is here...

BMW 5w30 is nothing more than relabeled Castrol 5w30 SLX (previously known as TXT Longtec) and not much different from the stuff you refer to as GC which is Castrol 0w30 SLX around the world.

My brother owns a 2007 Z4 M Coupe with many miles on it from new and has used the 5w30 since new with no issues which includes lots of track time.

Originally Posted By: Fuzz1
i really dont see what the big deal is here...

BMW 5w30 is nothing more than relabeled Castrol 5w30 SLX (previously known as TXT Longtec) and not much different from the stuff you refer to as GC which is Castrol 0w30 SLX around the world.

My brother owns a 2007 Z4 M Coupe with many miles on it from new and has used the 5w30 since new with no issues which includes lots of track time.

People fawn over the 0w30 because unlike the BMW brand it's PAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back