BMW Is and I8 opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is an oil forum However what does the forum members think of the new BMW i series currently the i3 and i8?

I am particularly fascinated with the i3 and the range extender concept. The i8 has the drive train concept that may be more main-steam that we may see versions of in larger i series sedans and related. Opinion. BTW, I do not like the two-tone look on any of the i cars.

So, I'm a HUGE fan of the Tesla Model S. I honestly think that 99% of people would have no real reason to buy anything else in that class at that price.

As I understand, the BMW i3 is slower, has much less range, and has less interior room -- BUT also costs a LOT less, uses less electricity per mile at low speeds, and has a smaller footprint. In other words, if I lived in a packed urban environment and/or never took long drives, it'd be a slam-dunk in favor of the i3.

I share your opinion that the i3 and i8 are ugly. That said, I usually don't care how a car looks if I like how it works.

Realistically, none of them would be my first choice, even if I had the money. I just can't bring myself to want a car without a legit old-school three-pedal manual transmission. However, if I absolutely had to have a runabout with seating for four, and if it didn't have to be my daily driver, the Model S and the i3 would be at or near the top of my list.

I like the idea of the i3, especially with the ranger extender bike engine fitted.

As we now live much closer to my wifes work and her annual mileage has gone from 18k to less than 10k an electric vehicle is looking more and more likely.

It would also be cheap to run through the business due to all the tax incentives that are available apparently, but would need to look into it.

Seems fairly quick for a runaround vehicle. I believe the published 0-60 is in the low 7secs. With very quick acceleration in the more relevant 0-30 but i don't have the figures to hand.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Isn't the I3 pretty much just BMW's version of the Volt?

No. it is far greener than the Volt. Possibly the most "sustainable" car in the world regaring impact on natural resources. The technology of the i3 is much more advanced than the volt. Google a bit and you will find a great deal of info about BMW's i cars.

With an approximate 180 mile trip each way between the WA Coast and the old home in the PDX area an I3 with the extended range option is right on the border, range-wise.

I realize we could always stop enroute and top off the gas tank (or even carry a spare gallon GASP!) and have plenty of extra miles, but...

How long will it be before a realistic electric/hybrid range is available? I'm talking 250 miles, which is about the limit most can actually drive without having to stop at the "used coffee shop"?

p.s. Do like the concept that you'll be able to stop at the dealership and pick up a 3-Series occasionally (and those details are still unknown, at least to YHS) for a longer mileage (as in VACATION) trip.

If you option the 85 kWh battery on the Model S (which realistically everyone should), it'll make 250 with plenty to spare.

My wife and I recently did a round trip between PA and MA. There was at least one rest stop with a Tesla Supercharger. Stopping to charge vs. stopping for gas and food would have made no difference for us in terms of time.

I'd say we're already at the point where the range of electric cars is workable for the majority of people. The real question is how many people can afford the initial price. As of now... not too many.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
How long will it be before a realistic electric/hybrid range is available? I'm talking 250 miles, which is about the limit most can actually drive without having to stop at the "used coffee shop"?

The i8 has an estimated combined range of over 300 miles, doesn't it?

The latest Tesla +85 or whatever they call it seems to be able to do 300 miles, and their are super charging stations popping up everywhere.

Next year on the east coast at least you could run your Tesla from Boston to DC without any trouble. I have a feeling after that you could even do FL if you were so inclined.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
If you option the 85 kWh battery on the Model S (which realistically everyone should), it'll make 250 with plenty to spare.

My wife and I recently did a round trip between PA and MA. There was at least one rest stop with a Tesla Supercharger. Stopping to charge vs. stopping for gas and food would have made no difference for us in terms of time.

I'd say we're already at the point where the range of electric cars is workable for the majority of people. The real question is how many people can afford the initial price. As of now... not too many.

If Tesla could put the drive train of the model S into a $40k vehicle electric cars would grab a large market segment.

I bet in 5 years they do just that. Musk is building the future, hate to say it but BMW is late to the game this time. Which doesn't surprise me because the Germans hate hybrids, they beleive in diesels, fuel cells and all electric.

That's their next major step.

The first step was to prove the concept and develop the relevant competencies in a sports car (the Roadster). That way it could be sold to people who don't care about money and want something unique.

Second was to implement it in luxury cars more like the offerings from MB, BMW, Audi, etc. Still upmarket, but not exotic. That's what we're seeing now (the Model S, the upcoming Model X, etc.).

The third step is a car that many more people have a shot at affording. Should happen in a few years, once the tech is mature and can be sold at a lower price.

As for BMW... Yes they're late to the game, but there are a lot of markets where the i3 makes a heck of a lot more sense than the Model S. There are a lot of urban centers in the world where the Model S's range and speed advantages are meaningless, its footprint is just too big, and its price is an even bigger barrier than it is in the US.

Great discussion. I think the transportaion, especially automotive,world is going to change more in the next 10 years than the past 60 years. partially because I sort of expect to see some sort of nexus of a practical application of electical storage technolgy with solar technolocy that is going to make a huge impact on our lives.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
That's their next major step.

The first step was to prove the concept and develop the relevant competencies in a sports car (the Roadster). That way it could be sold to people who don't care about money and want something unique.

Second was to implement it in luxury cars more like the offerings from MB, BMW, Audi, etc. Still upmarket, but not exotic. That's what we're seeing now (the Model S, the upcoming Model X, etc.).

The third step is a car that many more people have a shot at affording. Should happen in a few years, once the tech is mature and can be sold at a lower price.

As for BMW... Yes they're late to the game, but there are a lot of markets where the i3 makes a heck of a lot more sense than the Model S. There are a lot of urban centers in the world where the Model S's range and speed advantages are meaningless, its footprint is just too big, and its price is an even bigger barrier than it is in the US.

Yes, I also think the i3 is really for large european and asian cities. an i5 4 door vehicle (or similar) may be next for the US.

Last edited:
Well if parking is an issue you have the electric Smart of Leaf.

Quite frankly something the size of a Tesla is not a problem in any US city. I have drive an S class in most of them, Philly which is the tightest, even tighter than Boston and never had an issue. Parallel parking could be a minor challenge, but if you do it enough its fine.

IMHO I could not imagine a more perfect city car than a Tesla.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Great discussion. I think the transportaion, especially automotive,world is going to change more in the next 10 years than the past 60 years. partially because I sort of expect to see some sort of nexus of a practical application of electical storage technolgy with solar technolocy that is going to make a huge impact on our lives.

I find this a very interesting time to be around in. Because as much as I love gas and diesel powered vehicles I know that we cannot continue to rely on them.

All electric and fuel cells are the future, of this their is no doubt. I just find the transition to be messy and interesting!

I also find Musk to be interesting to watch. I was not around when Henry Ford, and the great industrialists were alive and making their mark on history. But I think at the time people must have viewed them like we do Musk. Guys like him are game changers, and its fascinating to see history get written before my eyes. Musk much like Ford knows where he is going, and he is going to drag us kicking and screaming towards his vision.

Last edited:
When I mentioned urban environments, I was thinking more about Asian and European cities. Many of those could tolerate a Model S easily, but the smaller size of an i3 would still be an advantage.

In Europe yes, everywhere else is very modern. Asia doesn't have very old and tight cities anymore, they rebuilt them.

In China I can't imagine a cooler or more high class car to arrive in than a Model S. I imagine you wouldn't get a better parking spot out front if you showed up in a Rolls Royce.

The Model S is like Apple, very modern, very American, and very cool.

Last edited:
Barring an accident, I won't be in the market for a car for about 5 years. I drive about 40 miles a week for work. I hope electric technology becomes more affordable. I'm married, so I have 2 cars. I would give serious consideration to owning one if the price is right. I might even consider a used Volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back