Oil for a BMW F800 ST

Hi All,

I started riding a motorbike recently and would welcome your honest and valuable opinion on the oil.

I have changed the oil with the Ravenol Motobike 4-T Ester SAE 10W-40, however do you know how it compares with very similar synthetic oils in their range, for example the Racing 4-T Motobike 10W-40?
There are also two versions of 10W-50 synthetic oils (Ester and Racing).
Ravenol provides a wide range of good lubricants to suit, so I am debating on the next oil change which I may do after covering about 5 - 6k km.

Best Regards.

What are the oil requirements listed in the Owner's Manual?

Mobil1 Racing 4T is an excellent motorcycle oil. I have used it many times.

The M1 motorcycle oils are commonly available (10W-40 and the V-Twin 20W-50), totally robust and exceptionally shear resistant. There are exactly zero commonly available oils that are more robust. Boutique oils can be higher quality containing differing levels of various base oils or additives, but may or may not provide better results.

Just a side note, the M1 motorcycle oils are superb for turbocharged race car use. They are that robust.

Another very acceptable and affordable choice is M1, 15W-50. It holds up well in MC use, and can be found at any WalMart.

What are the oil requirements listed in the Owner's Manual?

The requirements are 10W-40 or 15W-40 in the manual, that's all. There was a 15W-50 grade added later I believe, as BMW unified their motorbike oils to cover all models.

Back