BMW emergency top off - non LL oil. How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
You need to check the level more often. How long did it take to consume 2 qts.?

According to a Scotty Kilmer video on YouTube, there's no dipstick.

BMW does not use dipsticks anymore, have not had them in a long time. But, you are able to check the oil level from the MID while you are driving. Simple to check every time you drive if you want.

To OP, the oil level gauge may not be accurate when the vehicle is cold, or if there is a lot of moisture in the oil. Get the oil up to full operating temp on the highway and check the level again.

FYI - you can no longer check the oil level in BMWs while driving (at least in this model). You've got to be stationary with the engine up to operating temp and in Park or Neutral on a level surface before it will run the diagnostic (and it takes about 120 seconds to measure which means that you can't really just rip off a check at a stop light). There is no way to physically check the oil any more. Everything has to be checked electronically.

The BMW system doesn't even show fill level any more except for immediately after you run the oil check diagnostic. Most of the time, it only shows you a color coded picture of the engine (green for acceptable, yellow for warning, red for below minimum) so it's impossible to see where the levels are trending or how close you are to a warning unless you're in the habit of running the diagnostic pretty frequently.

Originally Posted By: Double_j
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
You need to check the level more often. How long did it take to consume 2 qts.?

According to a Scotty Kilmer video on YouTube, there's no dipstick.

BMW does not use dipsticks anymore, have not had them in a long time. But, you are able to check the oil level from the MID while you are driving. Simple to check every time you drive if you want.

To OP, the oil level gauge may not be accurate when the vehicle is cold, or if there is a lot of moisture in the oil. Get the oil up to full operating temp on the highway and check the level again.

FYI - you can no longer check the oil level in BMWs while driving (at least in this model). You've got to be stationary with the engine up to operating temp and in Park or Neutral on a level surface before it will run the diagnostic (and it takes about 120 seconds to measure which means that you can't really just rip off a check at a stop light). There is no way to physically check the oil any more. Everything has to be checked electronically.

The BMW system doesn't even show fill level any more except for immediately after you run the oil check diagnostic. Most of the time, it only shows you a color coded picture of the engine (green for acceptable, yellow for warning, red for below minimum) so it's impossible to see where the levels are trending or how close you are to a warning unless you're in the habit of running the diagnostic pretty frequently.

Interesting, I can check my 2013 while driving, both in the gauge display and the iDrive.

This sounds like one of those new BMWs with no dipstick. Not a good idea in my book but that's just my opinion. He could have caught this early on with regular checking. 2 quarts down is a bit disturbing before the system tells you that you are low. I would verify that with the service advisor as well.

Just so we're clear:

It was two quarts low, out of a ten quart system. This is the same as being 0.8 quarts low in a 4 quart sump Honda. Still in the safe zone, but time to add.

Consider the fact that LL01 oil is higher quality than your run of the mill SN, A3/B4 oil, and you'll realize that there is a bunch of nail biting going on for nothing.

I would have taken the bottles to a store and exchanged them for something that meets the spec. You didnt hurt anything, but if the engine is consuming, you do want to be sure to keep some stock of the right oil for it...

Interesting, I can check my 2013 while driving, both in the gauge display and the iDrive.

I could do it on my 2008 M3 (E90), too. The X5 was redesigned in 2014 so I wonder if they changed things then.

"It was two quarts low, out of a ten quart system. This is the same as being 0.8 quarts low in a 4 quart sump Honda. Still in the safe zone, but time to add. "

Thanks Roofless for that info. I was not aware of the capacity of that sump.

I'm old fashioned so I still prefer the dipstick but this is the future for now.

The level monitor system is actually very good. The gasoline BMW engines are very tolerant of oil chemistry. Edge 5w30 will be fine. Diesels must use low SAPS oil. Top it off with what you have available and then get a few bottles of the correct stuff for future use.

My Fathers 2012 BMW 320d apparently didn't have a dipstick but low and behold while I was prodding around the engine bay earlier I found a dipstick tucked right into the corner of the engine with a black handle!

What I am annoyed about is the ZF 8 speed Auto doesn't have a sump plug. You have to replace the sump!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just so we're clear:

It was two quarts low, out of a ten quart system. This is the same as being 0.8 quarts low in a 4 quart sump Honda. Still in the safe zone, but time to add.

Consider the fact that LL01 oil is higher quality than your run of the mill SN, A3/B4 oil, and you'll realize that there is a bunch of nail biting going on for nothing.

I believe the N63TU requires an LL01FE rated oil, this has a lower HTHS rating than LL01, among other properties.

Originally Posted By: f355spider
I believe the N63TU requires an LL01FE rated oil, this has a lower HTHS rating than LL01, among other properties.

Requires? No.

"Suitable for" according to BMW? Sure. BMW says you can use LL01FE in everything now but you would be a [censored] fool to try, especially in the engines that are known to burn oil, such as the N63...

If the primary specification was LL01FE the manual wouldn't list "SM or higher synthetic 5W-30" as a top up oil.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: Timo325
IF you want piece of mind

Which piece of mind should he have?

Hard to say for him. For you, I'd recommend the frontal lobes.

Originally Posted By: f355spider

Requires? No.

"Suitable for" according to BMW? Sure. BMW says you can use LL01FE in everything now but you would be a [censored] fool to try, especially in the engines that are known to burn oil, such as the N63...

If the primary specification was LL01FE the manual wouldn't list "SM or higher synthetic 5W-30" as a top up oil.

In N63 the heavier the better.
I would not even bother to go below W40 LL-01 in that engine.

OP, Double_J

That 63 is known to burn some oil. With that said, mileage aside, any smoking, aka, the VSS issue.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
OP, Double_J

That 63 is known to burn some oil. With that said, mileage aside, any smoking, aka, the VSS issue.

It is N63TU, it should have new steams. N63 was the one with steam issue. But who knows....

Originally Posted By: Double_j
I know that I technically should just get a couple quarts of compliant oil

You know what's right, so why don't you just do it?
smile.gif
You can grab a jug of LL-01 compliant oil at Walmart or most auto part stores just about anywhere. If the engine is consuming sizable amount of oil, then you're going to need it for top offs later anyway.

Quote:
but the car is due for service in 3000 miles at which point it will undergo a full oil change.

3,000 miles is quite a bit. If I had a new (almost) vehicle under warranty, I'd be using an approved lubricant.

With that said, i doubt you'll have any issues topping off with Edge 5w-30 on a one-time basis.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
OP, Double_J

It is N63TU, it should have new steams. N63 was the one with steam issue. But who knows....

Valve stems... And starters, and injectors, and batteries, and timing chains, and VANOS units, and turbochargers...

Google "BMW N63 customer care package." Maybe the N63TU is better. I hope so. So far at least, it seems to be.

OP, Double_J

No smoking issues at all thus far. Hopefully this situation is an isolated case of a slight underfill at the last service and a normal level of consumption.

BMW supposedly fixed the seal issue with the N63tu but I'm not holding my breath that everything is solved. This engine has way too much stigma attached to it for me to ever keep it past the warranty period. It'll likely be gone in 3-4 years when the warranty is over with less than 100K miles on the clock. (Hence another reason why I wanted to use the Castrol for the top off...longevity is not my primary concern).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
OP, Double_J

Valve stems... And starters, and injectors, and batteries, and timing chains, and VANOS units, and turbochargers...

Google "BMW N63 customer care package." Maybe the N63TU is better. I hope so. So far at least, it seems to be.

I was talking strictly about VSS, but yes, numerous issues on that engine that they tried to address with CCP.
However, batteries are consequence of good ole grocery getting driving style (and that driving style causes some other issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back