BMW emergency top off - non LL oil. How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: chefwong
OP, Double_J
That 63 is known to burn some oil. With that said, mileage aside, any smoking, aka, the VSS issue.

It is N63TU, it should have new steams. N63 was the one with steam issue. But who knows....

Valve stems... And starters, and injectors, and batteries, and timing chains, and VANOS units, and turbochargers...

Google "BMW N63 customer care package." Maybe the N63TU is better. I hope so. So far at least, it seems to be.

I was talking strictly about VSS, but yes, numerous issues on that engine that they tried to address with CCP.
However, batteries are consequence of good ole grocery getting driving style (and that driving style causes some other issues).

The battery issue is a common BMW trait. BMWs charging system will only charge the battery during braking and deceleration, using the alternator as sort of a pseudo hybrid system. It will only charge during idle or constant speed if the battery gets below 80% charge. This is to save fuel and emissions at start up.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
The battery issue is a common BMW trait. BMWs charging system will only charge the battery during braking and deceleration, using the alternator as sort of a pseudo hybrid system. It will only charge during idle or constant speed if the battery gets below 80% charge. This is to save fuel and emissions at start up.

I don't know if this is common to all BMW 'Efficient Dynamics' vehicles, but the N63 only charges the battery when coasting. This causes a problem because many US drivers (especially the ones in the target market for the X5) are not coasters, they tend to believe in 'accelerating to a stop' in the city.

The N63's main problem is that the cooling system allows the engine fans to run for up to 11 minutes after shut off in order to cool down the turbos. This drains the batteries really quickly and since people aren't coasting enough to gain a sufficient charge during their drive, the batteries go belly up in a really short period of time.

I shouldn't have battery issues since I do coast to decelerate (and I drive a lot on the highway where coasting happens as a matter of course). The people who do see the issue tend to use their X5s mostly for short local trips or city driving.

re: efficient dynamics...

Not that I've put alot of thought into this, as just the nature of all these computer modules and all, we're on a 3 year lease turnover.

Me wonders if one was to trickle charge the battery whenever not in use *aka, parked in garage*, how ~detrimental~ is it relative to IBS/DME and what the built in profile is the charge rate/battery life profile .

Not that I've put alot of thought into this, as just the nature of all these computer modules and all, we're on a 3 year lease turnover.

Me wonders if one was to trickle charge the battery whenever not in use *aka, parked in garage*, how ~detrimental~ is it relative to IBS/DME and what the built in profile is the charge rate/battery life profile .

BMW actually recommends it. They installed one in my sisters 3er, and I have one on my 1er.

I have a solar powered one that plugs into the OBD2 port. Provides enough charge, even in our parking garage.

Last edited:
Not sure how that makes sense to a degree...MightyMouse

Granted, any battery likes to be in a full SOC

But if we take apart the masses that will never hook up a trickle charger, there has to be a profile that is built in for their batteries that never really reach a full SOC due to ED.

Sorta how if you don't register a new battery in when you change it, the life of the battery will go kaputz due to whatever the charge profile that is being applied...

Last edited:
Not sure how that makes sense to a degree...MightyMouse

Granted, any battery likes to be in a full SOC

But if we take apart the masses that will never hook up a trickle charger, there has to be a profile that is built in for their batteries that never really reach a full SOC due to ED.

Sorta how if you don't register a new battery in when you change it, the life of the battery will go kaputz due to whatever the charge profile that is being applied...

Like I said, the alternator will just do its thing if the battery is below 80% charge. Just using more fuel, which means increased emissions. And if the battery is never above 80%, it will probably shorten the life of the battery due to sulphation.

Last edited:

BMW actually recommends it. They installed one in my sisters 3er, and I have one on my 1er.

I have a solar powered one that plugs into the OBD2 port. Provides enough charge, even in our parking garage.

Problems with N63 (and N62) were before efficient dynamic and when efficient dynamic came, "grocery getting" issue became even more of an issue.
More of HWY driving (and BMW's are made for that) and things will be fine. And batteries are actually not expensive at all if you buy thru battery plus and some other stores, and then you can register thru Carly on your own.

Problems with N63 (and N62) were before efficient dynamic and when efficient dynamic came, "grocery getting" issue became even more of an issue.
More of HWY driving (and BMW's are made for that) and things will be fine. And batteries are actually not expensive at all if you buy thru battery plus and some other stores, and then you can register thru Carly on your own.

BMW charging systems have been this way for over a decade. It started on the 2006 E90. Basically any vehicle that requires battery registration. Steady speed highway driving it is actually not charging, letting it drain down to 80%, only during deceleration.

Last edited:

BMW charging systems have been this way for over a decade. It started on the 2006 E90. Basically any vehicle that requires battery registration. Steady speed highway driving it is actually not charging, letting it drain down to 80%, only during deceleration.

And more then enough evidence that HWY driving style does not cause ANY problems on E models.
Efficient dynamics will kick in charging if system thinks there is too much of a discharge. System will charge if seat heaters are on, defrosting etc.
Topic that is discussed to the death and why people who stick in city have always CTEK in garage. Efficient dynamics will also charge on HWY depending on the various factors.
What I referred to is that V8 BMW engines were an issue in E53 too, not only E70.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: Timo325
IF you want piece of mind

Which piece of mind should he have?

Hard to say for him. For you, I'd recommend the frontal lobes.

It's been awhile since I laughed that hard!

He's a toolbag, and getting more ignores by the day..

(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tool bag)

Timing Guides or VSS. Pick your poison
Any of the 6' are better than their 8 counterparts

Ha ha, just had timing chains and guides (along with vanos rebuild) done on my 2001 540 M-Sport...they let go last winter at 260,300 miles. Just about to roll over 266,000 miles shortly.

Last edited:
One Clean E39 F355. Did you go all in - down to the VP while you were in there

Valley Pan was done 40k ago (during a cooling system overhaul)...my technician said it was fine to leave as is. What I have been doing for maintenance is every 100k, I replace everything related to the cooling system and belt drive system. Radiator, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, all cooling hoses (13 or 14), all pulleys, belts, tensioners, valve cover gaskets, valley pan, etc. I've done this twice, and it definitely saves me a ton of money over the typical "break then fix" method most use. I'd get killed running to the shop when each item failed. One reason these cars get kicked to the side far too soon...

I've been using Mike Miller's (Roundel technical advisor) "lifetime service recommendations" since the car was new in 2001.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: f355spider
One Clean E39 F355. Did you go all in - down to the VP while you were in there

Valley Pan was done 40k ago (during a cooling system overhaul)...my technician said it was fine to leave as is. What I have been doing for maintenance is every 100k, I replace everything related to the cooling system and belt drive system. Radiator, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, all cooling hoses (13 or 14), all pulleys, belts, tensioners, valve cover gaskets, valley pan, etc. I've done this twice, and it definitely saves me a ton of money over the typical "break then fix" method most use. I'd get killed running to the shop when each item failed. One reason these cars get kicked to the side far too soon...

I've been using Mike Miller's (Roundel technical advisor) "lifetime service recommendations" since the car was new in 2001.

Yep, that is the way to go.
I made 480k km with E34 520i inline six M50 engine. sold the car, and it was still in great condition. But, I did do these big overhauls, and never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back