BMW E90 Ceramic Brake pads?

I am not sure who carries them. Their official name is ePad. Check usual web sites. They are ceramic.
I do not know how they perform. Usual suspect is Akebono. You know you will not have any dust, but you also know that bite will suffer.
Hmm, okay. I found the pads, but when I put in info, they did not come up. I will do some research on them tomorrow.

Did you get the valve cover situated?

Hmm, okay. I found the pads, but when I put in info, they did not come up. I will do some research on them tomorrow.

Did you get the valve cover situated?
Nah. No time then we had 80mph winds last couple of days. Don’t want to end up with dust in the engine

Any new thoughts? I for sure now want something dust free.
I want to restore wheels, and I don't want to be cleaning brake dust again.
Yes, less bite, but I am willing to accept it as a trade off, but they still need to brake powerfully.

My current options (based off what I have seen people use online):

Akebono (Ceramic) from RockAuto or Amazon w/ shipping: $74.78
Akebono (Ceramic) from FCP w/ shipping: $81.00

TRW Ultra (Ceramic) form FCP w/ shipping: $64.95

ATE (Ceramic) from FCP w/ shipping: $77.99

Bosh (Ceramic) from RockAuto w/shipping: $47.78

Akebono Euro pads are good stuff. They are the gold standard for low-dust pads :)

Would you consider EBC pads? The Ultimax2 Blackstuff is a great daily driver pad. If you're willing to spend the money, check out EBC Redstuff ceramic.

Pair whatever pads you get with Geomet coated rotors. Rock Auto carries Powerstop Geomet coated rotors, and FCP probably carries Geomet rotors too.

Akebono Euro pads are good stuff. They are the gold standard for low-dust pads :)

Would you consider EBC pads? The Ultimax2 Blackstuff is a great daily driver pad. If you're willing to spend the money, check out EBC Redstuff ceramic.

Pair whatever pads you get with Geomet coated rotors. Rock Auto carries Powerstop Geomet coated rotors, and FCP probably carries Geomet rotors too.
None EBC will be upgrade. Actually, OE and OEM pads for E90 will outperform any EBC pad for street, performance or not. The yellow and Blue stuff are track pads and on street won't perform as well as regular BMW pads.

If no dust is required, Akebono is tested product. There is significant drop in performance.
If performance is a priority, OE (made by Jurid) or ATE, Textar, Jurid, Pagid.

I don't know what en E pad is. I did here something about that on one of the BMW forums, but I can't remember what it was about.
Could you send the name or link of the product when time permits?
Thanks
There’s two definitions of E - the first definition is ECE 90, a EU regulation that all brake pads sold in the EU must meet. The “Euro” lines from the mainstream brake manufacturers will claim ECE 90 compliance - take it with a grain of salt but only a few actually do, Wagner gets their European pads from brand mates Ferodo and Jurid, MAT Holdings who supplies AZ/OR/AAP owns Roulunds Braking Denmark/India which is a long-time Volvo, JLR and Saab supplier. ATE, Textar, Pagid, Mintex and Galfer all are ECE 90 approved - they’re all made in Europe, not India like Roulunds Dan-Blok is(the DB AMECA edge codes on chain parts store brake pads stands for Dan-Blok, Roulunds India).

The second definition is a brake pad specific for hybrids and EVs, which don’t need as aggressive of a pad since electricity is slowing you down. The compound will be different and the bond between the friction puck and backing plate will be different to prevent rust jacking.

The Textar ePad has been superceded by the ePad+.

My older original set is from NAPA, but FCP seems to be one of the more prominent stockists.

I suspect the new iteration doesn't have as much coverage as the older one, especially for older vehicles, and what's left out there of the original is NOS, here and there.

If dust reduction is the priority, no doubt ceramics are miles ahead in that respect. The rear wheels on my ePad-shod car get dirtier than the fronts. And they are much gentler and wear much more evenly on the rotors than the previous street performance pad. LIke they're being finished sanded, not rough sanded.

But the compromise is performance. It's acceptable for a daily driver, and they don't feel inadequate, but there was an adjustment period going from a more aggressive pad to the ceramics. How acceptable that is, also taking into account the other factors, is up to you.

The big brands will likely be E90 compliant, and for Euro applications, they have to be. But I can't tell how much of a practical difference that makes, since as with all such specs, including friction ratings, they're tested under specific criteria that doesn't necessarily correlate to real world performance, or encomapss all characteristics.

There are a lot of performance pads that don't have the GG rating some think is some sort of holy grail.

Is there any importance of friction rating?
The ATE ceramic is GF
The Akebono and TRW ulta are GG
The cheap Bosch seem to be FE

I have been reading lost of forum posts and reviews, and it's crazy how there could be so many different opinions on the same product

The ATE ceramic is GF
The Akebono and TRW ulta are GG
The cheap Bosch seem to be FE

I have been reading lost of forum posts and reviews, and it's crazy how there could be so many different opinions on the same product
oops. looks like I made an error on the ATE pads. The photo on FCP is old, and they are acutually GH.

LD7238-Other.jpg

Generally speaking, yes. Friction ratings give you an idea of what the μ is when the pad is at 200-400F and then 300-650F. IMO it's an easy chart to understand versus trying to understand the μ graph of a pad. If you're trying to find pads for a specific application (like pads for a race car) you'll want to find a real dyno chart of the pads which will show you the real characteristics (like an increase of friction at a given temp) of a pad over a large heat range.

I want to go ATE or TRW, but there aren’t many reviews

Should I play it safe with Akebono?

The safest bet is to buy a set from the dealer and disregard most of the commentary in this thread. The aftermarket formulas sold by vendors can be different than what is sold to the OE's. In fact, at least for Asian vehicles, it always is.

Aside from price, OE pads have always provided the most consistent performance and the least amount of customer complaints.

I will sell you a brand new set of Akebono Euro pads that are BNIB. I bought them a few months ago but decided to go with Jurid instead. I was too lazy to return them. I may still have the receipt.

Scott

IMG_7650.jpeg
IMG_7651.jpeg

Last edited:
The safest bet is to buy a set from the dealer and disregard most of the commentary in this thread. The aftermarket formulas sold by vendors can be different than what is sold to the OE's. In fact, at least for Asian vehicles, it always is.

Aside from price, OE pads have always provided the most consistent performance and the least amount of customer complaints.
Its the same with BMW pads. The dealer Textar and Jurid pads are quite different from the aftermarket. I got 100k miles out of the last OE front pads on E90.

However, in this case, he wants lower dust. The regular aftermarket Jurid pads dust far less than the OE BMW pads.

Downside to the dealer pads is they have the most dust. It doesn’t bother me as I wash car often, but it can be annoying.

No. New pads never include wear sensors. Use your old ones so long as the old pads didn't wear so far as to activate the sensors.

Scott
I'm still deciding on which pad I want.

If I decide on Akebono, how would you want your payment, and how would we go about shipping?

Sorry I forgot to reply earlier, was at work

Back