BMW Dealer used LL01FE instead of LL01??

Took advantage of the 3 yr oil change deal for $199 at my local BMW dealership for my '08 550i with the N62TU; told them I wanted LL01 oil in it which I believe is a 5W30 oil. Just looked at the invoice and it looks like they filled it with their 0W30 LL01FE oil. These engines are technically back specced for that oil, but I'm wondering if I should have them replace it with the 5W30 oil. I don't track it, mostly daily driving duty, and the temps have been mild here in the coastal bend of texas. I'm running 6k mile intervals.

I pick up the car tomorrow.

For reference, here is the 5W30 LL01 oil that shows to be available: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6428/BMW-TWINPOWER-TURBO-5W-30-ENGINE-OIL---1-LITER

Most of the dealers only carry the LL-01FE since that is what most of the BMWs made in the last 5+ years spec, and the engines a little older have been back spec'd. They usually have that and a thicker oil for M cars.
My local dealership is having both. But considering this debacle with N55 I just can’t get over this back specifications.

My local dealership is having both. But considering this debacle with N55 I just can’t get over this back specifications.
Unfortunately most automakers really just care about warranty claims.

Example:

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee had an AW4 automatic transmission. It's original fluid spec was Dex/Merc II/III. All of the other Chrysler vehicles required ATF+4. As soon as all of the Jeep vehicles with the AW4 were out of warranty Chrysler switched the spec for this transmission to ATF+4 so they could stock one fluid. ATF+4 didn't cause documented wear or issues in the AW4, so it was fine as far as they are concerned.

Unfortunately most automakers really just care about warranty claims.

Example:

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee had an AW4 automatic transmission. It's original fluid spec was Dex/Merc II/III. All of the other Chrysler vehicles required ATF+4. As soon as all of the Jeep vehicles with the AW4 were out of warranty Chrysler switched the spec for this transmission to ATF+4 so they could stock one fluid. ATF+4 didn't cause documented wear or issues in the AW4, so it was fine as far as they are concerned.
I know. But, on forums people really should know all options. BMW back specd N63 to 0W20 this year! And engine that eats oil, and still has all kind of oil cooling issues. Just bcs. they do, doesn’t mean it is right.
All this N55 debacle started with 0W30. I yet to see failing N55 on track. But people there run heavy stuff. Unless, track tires and too much G. Than engine can get destroyed.

I know. But, on forums people really should know all options. BMW back specd N63 to 0W20 this year! And engine that eats oil, and still has all kind of oil cooling issues. Just bcs. they do, doesn’t mean it is right.
All this N55 debacle started with 0W30. I yet to see failing N55 on track. But people there run heavy stuff. Unless, track tires and too much G. Than engine can get destroyed.
With technologies advances, variable compression, variable displacement oil pump, dry sump systems, just to name a few. Unless your a World Class Race Car Driver.; Any concerns over half a point(or even less)difference in HTHS is just chasing your own tail.

With technologies advances, variable compression, variable displacement oil pump, dry sump systems, just to name a few. Unless your a World Class Race Car Driver.; Any concerns over half a point(or even less)difference in HTHS is just chasing your own tail.
Variable compression, variable displacement, and dry-sump systems don't have anything to do with rod bearings issue on N55 or excessive oil consumption on N63.

And here is the funny part: rod bearings on N55 don't fail in BMWs I see on the track. They fail in BMW's usually serviced at the dealer, driven by an unsuspected soccer mom.

Variable compression, variable displacement, and dry-sump systems don't have anything to do with rod bearings issue on N55 or excessive oil consumption on N63.

And here is the funny part: rod bearings on N55 don't fail in BMWs I see on the track. They fail in BMW's usually serviced at the dealer, driven by an unsuspected soccer mom.
If they don't fail at the track, than obviously the HTHS is sufficient; Even in severe use. Plz excuse my ignorance. Is N55 & N63 the particular engines?

Makes sense. Oil burners need observation. Something a soccer mom is probably not gonna be too worried about. Ultimately leading to pre mature failures.

If they don't fail at the track, than obviously the HTHS is sufficient; Even in severe use. Plz excuse my ignorance. Is N55 & N63 the particular engines?
On track people use heavy oils, XW40 being minimum grade and HTHS definitely above 3.5. I yet to see anyone being a bit of an enthusiast running XW30 let alone XW20.
And this is not point drop. We are talking % drop in case of N63 (yes, engine code) of 30% between what was initially required and what is now required.

We digested this subject numerous times, it is all about CAFE. Also, variable pumps etc. were used in BMW’s long before 0W20 oils.

Makes sense. Oil burners need observation. Something a soccer mom is probably not gonna be too worried about. Ultimately leading to pre mature failures.
It is not that either. All BMW’s have electronic oil measurements and warning systems. In N55 it is directly related to HTHS and in N63 heavier oils can mitigate inherent consumption a bit.

Back