BMW coolant in a Mazda FL22 application?

Please forgive the potentially ignorant question.

I have a BMW and just bought a Mazda. The Mazda specs FL-22, though it came to me with who-knows-what coolant. Can I safely use BMW coolant in the Mazda? If I have to shorten my change intervals, that's fine. Just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid.

If neither car is under warranty you are probably ok to use whatever coolant you want to that most closely meets the specifications of the manufacturer.

I have two makes of vehicles.....Chrysler's and GMs. I use the same coolant in each of these vehicles. 3 of them have aluminum engines with aluminum heads and steel sleeved bores. One is traditional cast iron block and head. Modern day coolant specs have been written and formulated to protect modern aluminum and mixed alloy based engines.

Note; different coolant specs can be mixed, but in the case of mixing a long life coolant with one that is not of the same chemical additive make up (read conventional glycol based coolant), then it is recommended to then default the coolant change schedule to the same as the coolant that is mixed that is not of the long life variety. In other words; if you mix or add conventional glycol coolant to a long life coolant (say one with a IAT additive package) then you should change the coolant service interval to that of one represented if you used a 100% of glycol in that particular system.

Here is good short article that summarizes this detail. https://www.underhoodservice.com/long-life-coolants-explained/

Use BMW coolant in a Mazda at your own risk
As in "it's a bad idea" or just "you're in uncharted territory"?

I'm reading that BMW coolant has silicates whereas Mazda prohibits them, but I don't know enough to evaluate the sources I'm reading.

use mazda premix fl22 or ford motorcraft fl22 concentrate. i prefer to do things my own way, so i use the ford concentrate.

Ford says Motorcraft Yellow(Prestone Cor-Guard) can replace/top-off Speciality Green. Mazda of course wants their stuff but I think better to spend a few bucks and get the Prestone.

As in "it's a bad idea" or just "you're in uncharted territory"?

I'm reading that BMW coolant has silicates whereas Mazda prohibits them, but I don't know enough to evaluate the sources I'm reading.

It's not uncharted territory, you're adding an Euro Si-OAT coolant to an Asian P-OAT coolant. The latest and greatest coolant (recently adopted by BMW and Volvo) from Glysatin is G64/G65 which is an PSi-OAT coolant, which essentially is what you get when you mix BMW blue coolant with Mazda FL-22.

Back