BMW: Big grill, "Very positive feedback"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Agree. SOME important growth markets like big grills. The US market is not one of them.

They keep pushing them though. Look at the latest pickup trucks from the Big 2 and Peugeot. Huge grills.

I used to squirm at the Lexus grills but they have redefined them lately with some different shaping that actually makes them more presentable. It's all personal opinion though.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
[Linked Image]

+1

Maybe they wanted the values of the BMWs they already own to not drop so fast?

I feel like everyone who has given the okay to styling of most cars from the last 5 years is on acid or something.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Don't write off BMW's polarizing design language. It's worked very well for them in the past.

People ridiculed BMW about Chris Bangle's "flame surfacing" designs.

That was the design era when BMW overtook Mercedes Benz as the largest premium car manufacturer.

It's not because of Bangle's butt, it's just because they started aggressively leasing, and they still had some decent driving dynamics across the model line up.

The Bangle Butt was roundly ridiculed among the car enthusiast community for years. NOBODY (for the most part) ever truly liked it.

+1

The only reason some may like it now is because it's not as hideous as many of the current offerings.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Don't write off BMW's polarizing design language. It's worked very well for them in the past.

People ridiculed BMW about Chris Bangle's "flame surfacing" designs.

That was the design era when BMW overtook Mercedes Benz as the largest premium car manufacturer.

It's not because of Bangle's butt, it's just because they started aggressively leasing, and they still had some decent driving dynamics across the model line up.

The Bangle Butt was roundly ridiculed among the car enthusiast community for years. NOBODY (for the most part) ever truly liked it.

Yet it was copied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Audios
Not a fan, that red one in the OP looks like a face lifted Pontiac Solstice.

Haha I knew that car looked familiar! A Pontiac Solstice!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Huge grilles and emblems look downright comedic.

Agreed, the basketball sized Mercedes emblem on the grill of their entry level cars is just ridiculous. Clearly trying to snag "I can barely afford this car even if I lease it" types of customers with the "status". To me it just says "poser".

Originally Posted by KCJeep

Agreed, the basketball sized Mercedes emblem on the grill of their entry level cars is just ridiculous. Clearly trying to snag "I can barely afford this car even if I lease it" types of customers with the "status". To me it just says "poser".

A lot of this stems from BMW and MB hiring US educated MBAs and using US based consulting agencies, with all their "diversity", it's really not surprising you get this outcome.

A lot of this stems from BMW and MB hiring US educated MBAs and using US based consulting agencies, with all their "diversity", it's really not surprising you get this outcome.

Is this the case?
Or is it simply "me too" marketing teams following others lead here.
Id be interested to read up on any articles describing the marketing teams hiring and makeup.

As for the look - As a former BMW owner and purchaser (for the wife) I don't like the big grill look on them or anyones vehicles.

I thought the wife's Z3 had a bulbous nose - and it did. It reminded me of Ace and Garys car on SNL.

The whole big this and that fad needs to die. For that matter I dont like the big watches, big phones, rappers with the big clock necklaces - or the highly accentuated Derrier look todays pop stars sport.

UD

Oh I dunno...I kinda like those big clock necklaces. That way I don't have to put my reading glasses on to see what time it is!

I get accused of being resistant to change, but I dunno. I think the new Corvette is a thing of beauty, but as for this BMW styling, it makes me appreciate even more the look of my E39.

Hint: China not the US is currently the most important market for the Germans. So try again.

Large emblems have been on Mercedes for a while. Like the190SL from the 50-s.

Originally Posted by Touring5
I get accused of being resistant to change, but I dunno. I think the new Corvette is a thing of beauty, but as for this BMW styling, it makes me appreciate even more the look of my E39.

It's because you have the best looking BMW ever. I miss mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back