BMW 5w40 LL04 Oil Conundrum - S55 Motor

What are you looking to note? Oxidation resistance? Wear resistance? Fuel economy? Deposit formation? Valve deposit control?

One notable (and informed) difference is the Motul product has actual Longlife-04 approval which demonstrates the oil's performance in all those areas.
The ability to hold upto degradation against the higher temps from track abuse and keep the engine well protected againt wear.

If LL04 is the all important standard would I just be best off buying any 5w40 approved oil off the shelf? I can get 20litres of 5w40 Rock Oil “fully synthetic” for £44GBP from my local auto parts store but I was under the impression not all oils were born equal hence my question.

This stuff

Attachments

• 514400AC-D849-4E6F-8034-34FBD1727A35.jpeg
    514400AC-D849-4E6F-8034-34FBD1727A35.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 72
I don't think those are real approvals, because I could be wrong but I don't think one oil can be A40 and 502 (based on ACEA A3/B4) and also be LL04 and 229.51 (based on C3)

The ability to hold upto degradation against the higher temps from track abuse and keep the engine well protected againt wear.

If LL04 is the all important standard would I just be best off buying any 5w40 approved oil off the shelf? I can get 20litres of 5w40 Rock Oil “fully synthetic” for £44GBP from my local auto parts store but I was under the impression not all oils were born equal hence my question.
They're not all born equal. Some carry much more demanding approvals and specifications than do other oils. Longlife-04 oils do well in the criteria you list.

Pennzoil Euro 5W-40...

Also bottled as Mag 1, Motormaster Euro, Quaker State Euro, and Shell Helix...

Also comes in 0W-40 version, same additive package, but no LL04....
That is high saps LL-01, not good for his particulate filter, hence why he wants LL-04.

OP, I would go with the Motul, it is good stuff.

I personally would be using Fuchs Titan Race Pro S C3 5w30, it's not LL04 approved but it's an oil from a major manafacturer and I doubt you'd ever have any warranty issues. It's ester based like Redline but far cheaper!

I personally would be using Fuchs Titan Race Pro S C3 5w30, it's not LL04 approved but it's an oil from a major manafacturer and I doubt you'd ever have any warranty issues. It's ester based like Redline but far cheaper!

The whole point is approval. If he doesn’t have to use approved oils, there are much better choices than Motul Gen2 and that Fuchs.

The whole point is approval. If he doesn’t have to use approved oils, there are much better choices than Motul Gen2 and that Fuchs.

This car is being used on track, and cost of the Redline seems to be an issue. If it was a daily driver then Motul XClean Gen2 is where I would be going.

This car is being used on track, and cost of the Redline seems to be an issue. If it was a daily driver then Motul XClean Gen2 is where I would be going.
BMW keeps on certain markets warranty regardless of track use. Just bcs. he used redline once doesn’t mean his warranty is out of window. Motul 5W40 X-Clean has Porsche C40, and it is track capable with HTHS of 3.9.

BMW keeps on certain markets warranty regardless of track use. Just bcs. he used redline once doesn’t mean his warranty is out of window. Motul 5W40 X-Clean has Porsche C40, and it is track capable with HTHS of 3.9.
When my F22 M235i was under warranty my Service Advisor knew I had a 3 day HPDE coming up so he pulled ahead an oil service so I would be running the event on fresh oil.

I have a 2020 BMW M2 Competition with the 3L 6 cylinder twin turbo engine (called the S55).
In the UK due to emissions regulations the car is fitted with an OPF filter and as such the oil needs to be mid/low SAPs oil and be LL04 compliant to ensure it stays within warranty.
BMW recommend the following oils - 0w30, 5w30, 5w40 LL04 - naively on my part I'm assuming given the track days I've been opting for 5w40.

If BMW LL-04 and 5W-40 I'd try Ravenol RUP 5W-40. I ran it on my GTI once before going back to 5W-30. Similar to Redline in base oil quality but includes formal approvals.

Pro S 5w-40 hths is 4.07.

Back