BMW 335i N54 engine and Auto RX??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been searching on the forums here and not found this specific topic discussed. I would like to do an Auto RX regimen on my 2007 335i with 23,000 miles.

I have successfully done this regimen on my old 330CiC with Castrol GTX 10W-40 which is very close in hot viscosity to Mobil 1 0W-40, just thicker when cold which is not a major concern here in the South. Excellent results and clean engine.

Now, reading all teh horror stories here about DI engines creating deposits and the BWM N54 bi-turbo in my car cooking and trashing even the best synthetic oils with as little as 1,000 miles I am wondering what oil I could use to run an ARX regimen on my twin turbo. Remember it has to be dino oil and cannot be synthetic.
- SO withhow hard these engines are on oil should I even risk an ARX regimen with dino oil??
- Also, is maybe ARX itself a risk in these engines for any amount of time since they run so hot?
- Are there any BMW twin turbo owners here who have done an ARX regimen successfully and what oil did you use?

Maybe Terry Dyson can also chime in and give his opinion?

Thank you !!

I'd look into a regimen of LC20 to support antioxidant characteristics from time at temperature. I havent seen (though they may exist) pics of sludged up N54 engines that have had proper service intervals. We know protection is impacted due to the effects of fuel dilution, but is this a deposit issue, an oxidation propensity issue or something else?

Originally Posted By: Alex D
Remember it has to be dino oil and cannot be synthetic.

As far as I know, that is not true. It cannot be Group IV/V synthetic, but it can be Group III. I used Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 for the ARX rinse cycle in my 530i. This was recommended by Terry Dyson.

With that said, I'm not sure that your car even needs ARX with so few miles on it.

Quote:

Maybe Terry Dyson can also chime in and give his opinion?

Terry Dyson has left this board a long time ago. That's about the same time when he stopped dispensing free advice.

Use a 15W-40 HDEO for your ARX process - they are built to survive turbo diesel truck engines, they'll be up to a TT BMW....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm not sure that your car even needs ARX with so few miles on it.

I agree, no ARX is needed for such few miles. Just reduce OCI to around 7-8k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I'm not sure that your car even needs ARX with so few miles on it.

I agree, no ARX is needed for such few miles. Just reduce OCI to around 7-8k miles.

+1. Just keep your OCI relatively short and use good quality synthetic oil and you should not have major issues.

In that particular car I would not do anything to risk warranty coverage. Shorter OCI's with BMW approved oil would be good.

I also appreciate your fleet. I have debated replacing my G35 with a new G37 or a low mileage 335i, but I just can't justify it yet. I have a house I have to sell first . . . it could be a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back