LC20 or Auto-RX in a E39 BMW 530i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think would be better for a '01 530i?
LC20 or Auto-RX?

Engine has 80k miles on it and probably had some dino oil changes that stayed in for a little too long. Now it's running GC and seems to like it. But the last batch of GC brought out some valvetrain tick similar to running M1 0W40.
I think she's past due for a cleaning...

I know if I use ARX with GC that I should extend the OCI for the cleaning phase.
But do I have to run a dino oil for the rinse phase?
Or again, if I use synthetic just run a longer OCI as compared to a dino oil?

Would it be better to use BMW 5W30 oil?
I've read that it's Grp III, but I'm not certain.

I'd prefer to use a xW40 since it's summer.
Has anyone run 10W40 dino oil in a newer BMW engine?
I suppose something with a low sulfated ash % would work well?

How does LC20 compare to Auto-RX?
Does using synthetic oil affect it's cleaning ability?
Cleans better or worse than ARX?
Does it condition the seals like ARX?

TIA

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
What do you guys think would be better for a '01 530i?
LC20 or Auto-RX?

Engine has 80k miles on it and probably had some dino oil changes that stayed in for a little too long. Now it's running GC and seems to like it. But the last batch of GC brought out some valvetrain tick similar to running M1 0W40.
I think she's past due for a cleaning...

How does LC20 compare to Auto-RX?
Does using synthetic oil affect it's cleaning ability?
Cleans better or worse than ARX?
Does it condition the seals like ARX?

TIA

I had the same questions as you stated. I had used Lc20 and now using AutoRX. About 500 miles in the cleaning process.

I can't say withone is better yet; they are both good products and both have pros/cons. From reading here, AutoRX should clean deeper then Lc20. Both help the seals from reading here.

Thanks, Frank, I didn't notice the forum on your site.
So far the only info I've found ther is that ARX doesn't work well with ester based oils (Grp V).

But what about Grp III and IV?
And how does a synthetic affect the rinse phase? Do you just leave it in for longer?

Nevermind, digging a bit deeper I think I found the info I wanted.
I guess it would have taken too long to actually answer my questions?

http://www.auto-rx.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=277&SearchTerms=pao
ester = bad
pao = sorta ok
grp3 = fine

And I'm guessing you guys don't know how to vary the OCI with different synthetics? Because I think I'm getting conflicting info on your forum.
http://www.auto-rx.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=522&SearchTerms=pao

AND the thread about what oil to use in a newer M5, xW40 doesn't sound like good advice.

Esters (natural all good ) Esters (synthetic good in most cases -if you have no seal leak and realize there function is to hold oil to metal (not what you want during rinse cycle-use non synthetic so contaminants can wash off metal and go to filter) now use any oil you want.

Until you run ARX you may not know how well the engine can run.

I use LC-20 and FP-60, but it is much better after the ARX clean and rinse phase.

Short version: ARX is by far the best thing I've done to my cars.

Sorry there is a big difference Auto-Rx is a metal and seal cleaner and does nothing to the chemistry of the oil.
If you go to Auto-Rx Forum you will find why we use non synthetic oil in rinse phase

LC 20 is an oil additive.

So how is oil additive defined here since I am confused?

I am not saying Lc20,AutoRx etc are bad by any means. I use them both and like both; and would only use these two in my oils; but, anything that is added to the based engine oil (after the fact) is an oil additive IMO.

Oil Additive Chemistry changes base chemistry of oil that it is added to.

Auto-Rx changes no oil chemistry, in fact routine oil analysis will not detect Auto-Rx

GTX510,

Run the rinse phase with whatever oil you wish. The rinse phase is only 2000 miles. A group III will be fine. I am sure that a suitable dino can be found, that would perform fine under this short change senario.

Auto-Rx is the way to go, especially if past oil change intervals are questionable.

Have a BMW 99 528iT E-39, M52 engine w/28M miles,
running Delo 400 15w-40 w/Auto RX in clean phase,will c/o with same oil/filter for rinse then GC.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
Oil Additive Chemistry changes base chemistry of oil that it is added to.

Auto-Rx changes no oil chemistry, in fact routine oil analysis will not detect Auto-Rx

Frank, thanks for the info…good to know.

I'll throw this one in here because I didn't hear anyone say it: If you use AutoRX and decide to use LC20 later, do it after the rinse of AutoRX. Some say to do 2 oil changes between the two. It appears the two don't make good roommates in your oil sump.

Nnothing catostrophic will happen from what I understand, but they will weaken each others ability to do their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back