BMW 330xi rear springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
The rear springs in the 330xi are broken (apparently a common issue). In looking around I found that aftermarket springs all lower the ride height of the car, but are significantly cheaper than OEM. I don't have any strong desire to drop the car but if it saves me a few bucks I am fine with it. The question is that I have also read that lowering the awd model causes wear on some of the driveline components - that I would be willing to pay OEM to avoid. Does anybody here know if there are real downsides to putting the most moderate of aftermarket springs on an awd (eibach prokit)? The web says a drop of about 1" but I'm not sure if that is from the non-awd height or the xi, which rides higher.

There are some issues to consider.
The shock ratio will change. OEM is generally close to 50/50 Jounce and rebound, this will change when you drop the car and may have some undesirable ride or control issues, shocks for lowered springs are available.

Because of the decrease in jounce and height the braking and suspension geometry can be effected.
This is all very simplified, there can also be issues with the shocks internal valving causing the car to look like its bouncing up the road.
This very common on some usually Japanese cars lowered on the cheap by certain ethnic groups.

IMO pay the extra for the OEM springs unless you really want to lower the car properly.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This very common on some usually Japanese cars lowered on the cheap by certain ethnic groups.

Nice ignorant comment.

You can see these junks every day with their black primer paint jobs and 12" stove pipe exhaust bouncing up the road.
I didn't point to any group specifically you are making assumptions.

I didn't point to any group specifically you are making assumptions.

Which was exactly your intention.

No need to bring up ethnicity here at all.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Nice ignorant comment.

He's not a racist, sometimes he has a hard time describing things considering the fact that English is not his primary language. I know him, and that's what he's about.

Perspective is important when it comes to wearing on suspension components.

For example with all OEM parts, if you drove around with 4 people in your car, the suspension would wear faster than if you drove alone.

The best after-market parts are made to work in conjunction with OEM parts, not just on their own to achieve a purpose. Since we are talking springs here, there are after-market springs that are geared solely for looks and most other side effects are not considered (dress master type) others for performance and handling (H&R, Eibach etc). While it is clear that anything other than OEM height will reduce the life of other components, note again that having 4 people in the car increases weight and lowers the cars OEM suspension range and life as well.

That being said, the best spring choices are those that lower your car a small amount while compensating with slightly adjusted spring rates. Look at the Eibach site for example, watch the videos, see how they approach handling performance. H&R will be the same. These will be the best compromise between working with OEM parts and increasing performance.

Interestingly enough companies like Eibach actually make the performance sport level spring packages for TRD and others that are available for install from the dealer and backed by warranty. These are the type that are worth looking into.

If you don't want to go with a respected aftermarket supplier like Dinan, TC Kline, or Turner then I would go OEM.

Do you know if they improved the OEM part? If not- i would hem and haw with the dealer to see if they will goodwill the part as it is a known problem. Otherwise you will be replacing it again down the road

The shocks will continue to be 50/50 [or whatever they are - usually less on compression, and a more on spring rebound].
Because no internal valving will be changed.

Can you get springs that are not 1" drop? Up to 1/2 is great.
Sometimes spring seats can be obtained in different sizes, like Mercedes used. That would get the height up a bit.

Check with some of the repair shops in town and find out who they use for spring repairs, most area's have a spring shop in the area who can repair/re-arch leaf springs.

Yes exactly they will always be a 50/50 or 30/70 or whatever they were only lowered they will have more rebound than jounce as you say.
When i put lowering springs in the GTP Bilstein offered stock and lowered struts for it.
The internal valving also will not change thats true but it wont function as it did with the piston in the stock position.

Seems we are on the same page just putting it a different way

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Dinan doesn't make their own springs. H&R, Eibach do. From what I have read Dinan springs are made by Eibach.

That's true, but they are produced to Dinan's specs- they aren't re-badged OTS springs.

From what I am hearing BMW did address the part so it shouldn't happen again, but there is of course no support from them for the replacement.

I'm basically decided on the eibach springs now. I would have rather stayed at stock height but with what I save vs oem I can throw new shocks on as well. It is starting to be less likely we will keep the car for a real long time now - just feels like many more little but expensive things are wearing out than what I am used to at this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back