Blown Head Gasket 02 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by AC1DD
@David1

I always consider cars like this as "part of the family" when they go as inanimate as they are, it's like a death in the family.
frown.gif

As weird as it sounds I know what ya mean....

yea its a real bummer... I have been bummed out for a week.... I have a new car but I really miss my Honda... I was proud of that car.... even customers at work as me....... They ask where is your HONDA???
Then I tell them and they say.. OH NO... Im sorry.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by David1
Im sure it was scrapped out for parts to one of the mechanics there b/c when I had to get some stuff outta the trunk there were 5 people that were mechanics looking at the struts and engine and I could hear them say I have dibs on this and I have dibs on that...

Dealer mechanics make good money, what would they be doing with an 18 year old car or that they couldn't buy parts at cost from the parts department?

Maybe they were the minimum-wage lube techs.

They were young guys...... not master mechanics... and like i said Im not sure you ever saw pictures I posted of my engine and all the upgrades I did to it.... Many of them were in the last year....

Originally Posted by carviewsonic
A couple of years ago a coworker had the head gasket blow on the identical car to yours, same year, same engine, and about the same mileage.

He had a salesman from the Honda dealer pick him up where the car left him stranded and take him back to the dealer. He bought another used Accord at the dealer, a few years newer and with low miles that afternoon, and had them tow in his old car for a trade.

I told him it would be hard to negotiate a good deal like that, but he said he did well. He keeps his cars many years until they die anyway, so was more concerned about condition than price.

I know.. I dont understand how they all go out like that.... My step fathers Honda Odyssey did the same thing at 250K miles also.... Matter of fact he was here when I was messing with it and he said right away that is a blow head gasket.... Now mine was a 2002 Honda Accord and his was a 2000 Odyssey but they were basically the same engine.... He traded his in on a 2016 Honda Odyssey.... We are Honda / Acura people.. Even my Mother drives a 2019
Honda CRV Turbo....

Im the only one with a Acura..... Ohh This Acura must have Premium Unleaded fuel Only.... I cant understand why a 2.0 4 banger engine would need as it says in the manual minimum 91 Octane fuel...

Last edited:
You're lucky you made it home and it didn't hydrolock on ya.

Not worth the cost of repair..RIP '02 Accord.

Not only make it home.. I drove to the dealer also....but I had to pull over a few times on the way... Plus at stop lights turn the car off.... It sucked even the Drive Light started to blink on the way.... and check engine light came on.
When I got to dealer I would unhook the battery and clean up the coolant... However Im sure the appraiser knew.. People at work told that I should of taken the new RED TOP battery out... It was only a 5 months old ....I think I got it in June..

Originally Posted by David1
You're lucky you made it home and it didn't hydrolock on ya.

Not worth the cost of repair..RIP '02 Accord.

Not only make it home.. I drove to the dealer also....but I had to pull over a few times on the way... Plus at stop lights turn the car off.... It sucked even the Drive Light started to blink on the way.... and check engine light came on.
When I got to dealer I would unhook the battery and clean up the coolant... However Im sure the appraiser knew.. People at work told that I should of taken the new RED TOP battery out... It was only a 5 months old ....I think I got it in June..

Wow what a journey.. and the whole time your probably just waiting for it to stop, especially having to restart it at the stop lights. That's one of those days where you get home and pour yourself a stiff drink!...‚

Originally Posted by madRiver
At 200k+ my expectation of any vehicle is major failure, I have Lyft and Uber loaded and $100 in cash in case my 07 MDX 200k rolls to side of road. No plans for maintenance besides oil changes.

There was an Asia based website that had a sort of design review of various Honda/Acura engines. It quoted manufacturers designed life expectancy for the different engines. B16, D17 and others of that time frame had a design life expectancy of 250,000 km (150,000 mi.). Later engines like R, K,J series had a design life expectancy of 300,000 km (180,000 mi.). So yeah...anything beyond 200k miles is entering the great unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back