blower motor brand to buy?

Looking for blower motor brand suggestions.

Blower Motor fan went out on one of my Nissan's. This happened to my other Nissan a couple years ago - same motor. Guess 10 years is lifetme. OEM is Siemens - made in Mexico.

On the other rig I bought a continental / VDO - which is the best motor RA sold. It was squealing again in 6 months and never blew as much air as the original. Replaced it with a used OEM I found.

OEM is over $200. I already ordered an OEM online but it showed up damaged because the Nissan packaging sucks and I presume all Nissan online dealers are just going to ship it in the box it comes - so not doing that again.

Suggestions on brand to buy? This seems like a part I should not have to buy from the dealer, but maybe it is?

The factory blower motor in my Camry started to squeak after 3 years. Only squeaked in the winter. I replaced with some cheapo one and it's been fine. I'd get an off brand for $50 instead of a $200 OEM assuming it's pretty easy to replace. It was pretty easy to replace on my Camry.

Is anything oem Nissan still Hitachi? Of the 3 Nissan Zs I’ve had, none of the Hitachi components ever had a single issue.
Coils and cam position sensors are Hitachi. A few other Denso parts - ECU, o2 sensors, starter, alternator. But the blower motor is Siemens. My google fu has indicated they sold that division to Brose - whoever they are. But its a good idea, I am going to see if Hitachi or Denso makes one that might fit.

I swear I watched a vid from SMA where he went through two NAPA blower motors on a Nissan and finally gave up and ordered OEM. I tried to find the video but no luck

Ive had to open my VDO twice, to free the stuck brushes
The second time i reduced their dimensions slightly, on some 220 grit sandpaper.
They got stuck one more time, but a light tap of blower body with a hammer kicked it back to life and no issues in 18 months since.

I think the bent tangs holding it shut, would not handle a 3rd opening. ok

For Anything electrical your best bet is OEM. I've used VDO blowers on several vehicles and have already had to warranty one of them.

If you can still get OEM parts. Nissan has discontinued the blower motor for my '98 Frontier, and I have found NO "new old stock" ones. (The motor works, but has a vibration. I just run it in low for now. Hopefully it's just something stuck in the fan blades).

Surprised about the VDO/Continental comments on here. Guess it depends where it's made.

Replaced the blower on my HRV.

The VDO was made in Japan and blows harder than the original.

Original was a Denso, made in Mexico.

Surprised about the VDO/Continental comments on here. Guess it depends where it's made.

Replaced the blower on my HRV.

The VDO was made in Japan and blows harder than the original.

Original was a Denso, made in Mexico.
Every VDO blower motor I've received recently was Chinese. Sad to see a name like VDO sell out, I remember their gauges were always well-respected....long ago

Every VDO blower motor I've received recently was Chinese. Sad to see a name like VDO sell out, I remember their gauges were always well-respected....long ago

So the 2011 Frontier and 2008 Xterra use the same model VDO blower motor - made in China.

Last edited:
Just looked up the part number for the Frontier VDO blower motor - it's made in China.

Here's a photo of the OEM

Brose is the brand. Doesn't look like they make aftermarket so buying from a dealer might be best.

27226EA010-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Interestingly, NAPA clearly states their manufacturer as Four Seasons (typically junk) and the photo on the website seems to indicate Canada as a COO (I'm skeptical!)
20221123_175812.jpg

Also their fitment guide is kinda handy
20221123_175837.jpg

So the 2011 Frontier and 2008 Xterra use the same model VDO blower motor - made in China.
All Xterra's from 2005 to 2015 use the same blower. Most Frontiers from 2004 to 2019 also use that same motor, the exception is apparently the lowest trim Frontier had a different manual AC control with different motor or some such thing. But yes, in my case there the same part number.

Dealer wants $225.00 + tax for the motor. I had ordered one from an online dealer for a fraction of that but it arrived with the squirrel cage damaged. I considered just swapping my squirrel cage but decided to send it back. After reading a bunch of reviews I guess I am going to try to stay with OEM, I just haven't decided if I am going to give the local dealer more money or try to order from a different online dealer and hope it arrives intact.

We need to know how hard it is to change out on this vehicle to better advise.
Its a 5 minute job. Honestly when I started this thread I figured this would be one part that should be easily available aftermarket - how hard is it to wind a motor. Apparently hard.

I think I may have found a decent source for a OEM one at a decent price as Nissan themselves hosts a parts site where i can buy online and pick up at a local dealer. Its $175 that way, or I can have a dealer in VA ship it to me for $125 and hope it arrives intact. I'll be doing one of those two I think after the holiday.

Back