Blimp hanger burns in Tustin

Oh, man! That is sad to hear. I'm not familiar with this particular hangar, but I've been to their sister hangar outside Tillamook, OR. These hangars are super impressive to see, and even more impressive when you know how quickly they were built after being commissioned.

Moffett Field has 3 big hangers.

Those are easily visible from US-101. However, these hangars in Tustin are wooden.

I've been in several of the hangars at then and former NAS Alameda, and those all had wooden roofs. It certainly seemed like there was a huge potential for the roof to go poof.

There used to be 2 hangars in Tillamook. Sadly, the other also burned back in '92. Last I knew, the concrete supports for its doors were still standing.

The tin foil hat in me says the land in Tustin was too valuable to keep on the National Historic Register. When I drove past them daily in the 70's they were surrounded by miles and miles of orange groves and strawberry fields. Housing developments have crept up on all sides of it. I wonder what will be the fate of the second hanger.

Back