Black Yaris...first wax suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing to wax my 2008 Yaris for the first time. As I've never owned a black car before, I'm a little concerned about what to use. For years I've used NuFinish (I know, Iknow...) and have actually had good results with it (magic erasers remove it from vinyl trim just fine). I don't want to use it on this car because it's new and should just need a good cleaning and a sealant.

I live in extreme northern Michigan and my opportunity to rewax is essentially nil from September through April each year...tons of snow and salt. I've always appreciated the durability of the NuFinish...my 2003 PT Cruiser still looks great and NuFinish is all it's ever seen (2 applications per year) but want to know if there's an alternative that will give me the durability without the abrasive cleaners...any suggestions?

I had great results with Rejex, do a search on this site and read up on it. A good wash, clay bar and Rejex and you'll be GTG. Good luck with your new wheels!

Frank D

For those that like NuFinish, it may be a hard sell to use something else. If you have an open mind to try something new, consider other products first.

If you have poor washing techniques or go anywhere near a car wash, then black will show them sooner with marring and swirls.

Is it that black metallic? Those look awesome. I think Rejex would be a good option for you. Your car is so small too it wouldn't take long to do!

The thing I like about Rejex is it has NO cleaners in it. On a new car I wouldn't want anything but good soap, clay and a good finish w/o cleaners. There's going to come a time that a cleaner wax, or other chemical cleaner will be needed, but not now.

JMO,
Frank D

Nice color for that car! A bit OT maybe but I would suggest the first thing you buy is a california duster. I own two black cars and found that if you dust then once per day they look great for about 2 weeks before you have to wash it again. A clean black car is one of the best looking IMO. A dirty black car is one of the worst looking. And it can look dirty in only a couple days if not dusted. The duster keeps it looking great and means you have to wash less often.

Back on topic, you will get tons of strong opinions of what wax to use. I use meguire's next 2.0 and build up lots of coats, say 8-10 right away (within the first couple weeks allowing a day in between coats). Then I just do a "maintenance" coat maybe 2-3 times per year. I have found this gives a "wet" look. But there are other great products out there, not saying this method is better, it just gives awesome results for me. Even on a 8 year old boxster I get compliments all the time and when I take it to the dealer for service people looking at new cars always come over to admire it just because it is so shiny.

Collinite 476s
thumbsup2.gif

california duster + black car + improper use = high possibility of swirling

I recommend washing your car at the minimum of twice a month and waxing with a good carnauba once a month. I like Meg's #26. Looks great on my white car so it should look spectacular on your black one. When swirls develop you can go over the car with Meg's Scratch-X or something meant for use with a machine.

Several other OTC products that I like are Meg's Color-X, NXT Tech Wax, Collinite Insulator Wax, and Mother's Synwax. Can't comment on durability though since I wax often.

Thanks guys...I've done some research and decided to give Rejex a try although I appreciate all the recommendations. The car is indeed the black metallic and the paint looks expensive for a car that cost a little over $14,000 (that's with the "power package" which includes power locks, windows and mirrors, the winter package which includes rear heat ducts and high-output heater and the reclining, split folding and sliding rear seat option). I had Rostra cruise control added (which works perfectly) along with keyless entry and remote start. Truth be told I didn't want the black but it was the only hatchback they had (was hoping for the silver but no luck). Other dealers in the area had NONE of these cars available (got it in April). So far I really like the car. I traded a 1997 Town & Country van (got the van from a friend for $1,500...they were the original owners and took great care of it...put 30,000 miles on it and had no problems...they had just put new tires and brakes on the van before they sold it to me...I changed out the trans fluid and did a tune-up...that was it...nothing but oil changes and several tire rotations until I traded it for the Toyota). The dealer gave me $2,000 on a trade-in. I consistently get 38-42 mpg with the Yaris. The car handles well and seems to have plenty of zip (got an automatic). I disassembled the interior after I got it and installed sound deadener behind the panels, inside the doors and under the carpet...the little bugger is as quiet as a Buick. I'm going to add the TRD rear sway bar and better tires to bump the handling a little...other wise I'm happy with the little puddle-jumper. I drive over 2,000 miles per month as a field rep. and the car just about pays for itself in gas savings. Thanks again for the help...

Quote:
I'm going to add the TRD rear sway bar and better tires to bump the handling a little...other wise I'm happy with the little puddle-jumper. I drive over 2,000 miles per month as a field rep. and the car just about pays for itself in gas savings. Thanks again for the help...

Those are great car for the times we live in.

The TRD rear sway bar will make your car feel better in everyday driving and I would probably install a bar if the under steer really bothered me. BUT, something to consider about adding a stiff rear sway bar to the rear of a FWD car, is that if you are cornering hard enough, the inside rear wheel lifts and you go from getting a lot of roll resistance from the rear of the car to ZERO roll resistance at the rear of the car and suddenly transition back to severe under steer. That can be interesting.

If this is an everyday driver and the amount of factory under steer doesn't bother you, stay away from stiff rear sway bars. They are more of an illusion than a real improvement in ultimate cornering power.

According to the research I've done, the TRD (made by Toyota for this car) bar is not a heavy unit. It adds just enough to the rear of the car to improve the handling some without inducing the oversteer that a heavy bar would. There are a couple of aftermarket rear sway bars available for the Yaris but they're heavier and I wouldn't consider them for that reason.

Granted, the factory understeer is not objectionable (and not all that noticeable with a whopping 106 hp on tap) but I've read good things about the Toyota bar...price is reasonable too. Now if I could just locate that 12 foot roof-mounted spoiler....

What is it with you Ohio guys and your Collinite 476s? If I was going to use a wax on the OP black car it would be Collinite 476s....

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Now if I could just locate that 12 foot roof-mounted spoiler....

Spoiler? I thought that was a carrying handle.
grin2.gif

Let us know how the rear bar works. Mild one will probably do no harm and feel good.

Give it a good wring out to your traction limits in a nice open place like a big parking lot.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
california duster + black car + improper use = high possibility of swirling

No problems after using calif. duster for 15 years. Of course you don't want to use it to remove heavy dirt or debris, that is the time to wash.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I recommend washing your car at the minimum of twice a month and waxing with a good carnauba once a month.

I agree once per month is ideal because you aren't just maintaining what you have, you are adding to depth and shine every month and your car is looking better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back