Bizarre letter from a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Seriously consider bringing this to the attention of the police.

I wouldn't, don't see any cause for that. Likely just make enemies of the neighbors and embarrass and scare the little girl. A friendly, light-hearted talk with the likely parents is sufficient. If it turns out it wasn't from who OP thought it was from, then I would maybe be abit more cautious but I think involving the police at this point is over-reacting.

You're stuck in a box.

Possible liabilities:

1. You show the letter to the parents, and they deny everything and think you're an a-hole for "ever thinking their sweet little girl could ever behind such a thing!". Think about it for a second:

Them: "Why would you think it was her?"

You: "Well, I just figured your 9-year old daughter probably has a crush on me.

This is literally the worst course of action you can take.

Just ignore any solution that has you accusing a9-year old of having the hots for you.

2. You go to the police.

"Hi officer! Check out this typewritten letter that I totally didn't typewrite myself. The only conclusion I can draw here is that a 9-year old girl has it in for me. I mean, obviously a 9-year old is more likely to be proficient with a typewriter than I, a 45-year-old man!"

The crux of this issue is that the only way you can broach this topic is to accuse a 9-year-old of having romantic feelings for you. As a child, she's pretty much bullet proof in this situation. You are 45 and single. You are a lead-magnet in a situation like this.

The letter is weird if they decide it's hers. If the decision is made that you wrote that letter, then the letter looks positively psychotic. There's no name. There's no postmark. You can establish nothing.

OK, maybe don't fireplace the letter. Documenting everything and holding on to it sounds like a better idea. But I would not go to anyone else about this at all.

There is yet another strange possibility.

Some neighbors may (wrongly) think you are a perv. Think about the possibilities. Weirder junk has happened. Maybe not a "pro" frame job, but bait.

Double Wasp has some good advice. Weird, very disturbingly weird, IMHO.

Thanks for the thoughts. Police will not be involved.

I will not post the letter or write the full content here, but its tone is humorous and goofy and sweet, but for that one line, and she goes as far to say that I will never know who wrote it as she would be too shy and too 'nerves', but then gives a fake name and unlikely physical description and a place where she works.

She correctly uses to and too in all instances.

While there are spelling and grammar mistakes, there are also parts which seem more mature.

On the initial read, My impression was there was adult oversight with intentional mistakes, but not on the subsequent rereads.

I took a photo of it and texted it to my sister who then asked if I was armed, which I thought to be a complete overreaction.

My street is a fairly tight community on a dead end street, considering its location where people prefer to ignore each other. I am considering showing the letter to another resident mother who is one of the more logical and rational women I have known, and not so much a gossip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back