BITOG would be very proud of my non-car person sister - niece is getting a "new" car.

So my niece will be graduating high school next year and her first car was a handed down, handed down, handed down 2003 Honda Pilot that was pushing 300k miles, had salt belt rust firmly taking hold of it and seems it recently overheated to the point its time to send it to the junkyard. My parents, my sister and my niece extracted every single last red penny out of that Pilot. My family was not of best of means so a 250k mile car handed down to the newly licensed teen in the household was and still is a thing.

My sister knows I am a car person so today get a random text about helping find a good car for niece that will last her through college so at least 5 years in Minnesota - yeah no prob. Get a text shortly after with a screenshot of a 2013 Camry LE with 111,500 miles for $11,450 from a private seller - Camry's are not my thing but you know I responded back with a A++ recommend. No not the sexiest car and its in the standard issue beige on beige color palette but hey its better than the 20+ year old overheating and rusting out Pilot so my niece would be in fancy town in a 2013 Camry. Thought y'all would be proud of her for having a good eye on looking at a solid bet despite not being a car person.

She has not pulled the trigger yet because as a financial analyst she still can't even justify the $11,450 for a 10 year old Camry and is still debating. She drives a 2016 or 2017 Honda Civic LX (non-turbo - 2.0 I think) with about 80k miles on it but has been wanting to upgrade for a few months now so she is toying with the idea of just giving her Civic to my niece then upgrading to a new CR-V. I don't blame her as she has same concerns about bottom dropping out on the used car market and all of a sudden what is the value of that 10 year old $11,450 Camry.

So she didn't pull the trigger but her first shot out of the gate was a winner. Told her to focus on Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla, CR-V and RAV-4 - and to run away from Altima, Sentra, Focus and Fiesta due to transmission issues.

It’s possible to buy a bad Corolla or Camry, but less likely for something to go wrong than the others. A mechanics inspection prior to purchase is more important than ever now, since used car prices are so high. Most of us don’t work on several cars per day for a living, so we’re not going to spot problems like a good mechanic would.

In my 2015 Camry, I've changed out the HVAC fan due to a whine noise and the water pump due to seeping. The replacement seeps so maybe it's a design feature. LOL.

Spark plugs and coolant and serpentine belt are probably due on the Camry. That's easy enough. Spark plugs take 20 minutes if you go slow and have the right tools.

I don't see the car market easing anytime soon.

A few of the no go cars you mentioned would be just fine with a stick.
Unfortunately stick is not an option - that kinda died out with me and my siblings. We all learned how but I was the only one to actually own a manual trans - my siblings all went straight to automatic.
It’s possible to buy a bad Corolla or Camry, but less likely for something to go wrong than the others. A mechanics inspection prior to purchase is more important than ever now, since used car prices are so high. Most of us don’t work on several cars per day for a living, so we’re not going to spot problems like a good mechanic would.
Camry or Corolla is a safe gamble though versus everything else. I'll mention getting an inspection done if she goes the used route.

So, you gave an “A++” on a car that has not been inspected and that you’ve not seen. You’re leading your “non-car person” sister to believe she’s made the right choice based on absolutely nothing.

Instead of giving your sister praise, I think we should revoke your BITOG card.:poop:

This is what she needs:
crown.jpg

So, you gave an “A++” on a car that has not been inspected and that you’ve not seen. You’re leading your “non-car person” sister to believe she’s made the right choice based on absolutely nothing.

Instead of giving your sister praise, I think we should revoke your BITOG card.:poop:
And you are making assumptions that she would not check out the car or have it inspected why? How do you not know an inspection or test drive were not in the plan? Your BITOG card should be revoked for making wild assumptions.

Guy at my work has an old hail damaged Camry(beige on beige) that makes terrible engine sounds when started then the sounds die down a bit but they are still there.
It starts and drives every day,tough cars.

Last edited:
I’m 20 and own a grandma-spec silver 2013 Camry XLE with close to 130k. It’s the least interesting car ever but I just wanted something newer and dependable with cold A/C, the fun car can come later in my life. Only major repair since I got the car with 109k was having to replace front wheel bearings. The car isn’t absolutely perfect, but what car is? My biggest regret is in hindsight, I probably should’ve gotten a hybrid variant :(

Back