BITOG - Mobil 1 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow glad to see you guys do this and thanks.

1. I have never been a fan of Mobil oils why should I switch?

2. It is difficult for me to change my oils will your 0-20 go safely for a year before changed?

3. Do you have any ATF's recommended for the Hyundai SPF-III and if so have they been tested in that application?

Thanks
Ken

I have a few questions:

1) - The Formula for Mobil-1 5W-30 seem to make a drastic change around 2002. The newer formula left a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. The oil also looked and smelled different. What did you guys change in the oil, and why was there so much sediment in the bottom of the bottle? I called, wrote a letter, and emailed Mobil to get answers, but never got a response. I have not used Mobil-1 since. I am a little afraid to use it. Before 2002, Mobil-1 was the only oil I used in my vehicle.

2) - Why doesn't Mobil post a used oil analysis (UOA), on their website, of all their engine oil with batch numbers, so we don't have to spend our own money on a UOA. I am sure Mobil runs an analysis of all their oil batches before they even put it into bottles. It would be nice to have, even if it was in a secret section of their website and only accessible to people with a secret decoder ring.

Thanks for taking time do do this! I personally have used many jus of Mobil 1 in my life and recommend it to everyone. Here are my concerns:

1. obviously the high iron content is my top question, along with many other BITOG'ers. it seems like if every other oil has managed lower iron content then mobil 1 is obviously missing something, is it due to some sort of chemical reaction possibly?

2. is there a reason why Honda civic/accord engines tend to burn mobil 1 more than other engines?

Does the 10W30 High Mileage product use any Viscosity Index Improver?

And will this product stay SL or will you be moving it to SM?

I'll second the question on the Dexos requirement by GM for the 2011 line-up and beyond.

Is the Visom Group III+ base stock the same stuff you have been using for years (such as in the 0w-40) or is it a newer development than that?

Originally Posted By: bkbenjy
Why do the UOA's show higher iron than other synthetic oil UOA's?
28.gif

X 2 ??

Last edited:
Some Mobil 1 grades are available in 5 quarts jug such as 0W30, 5W30 ... But some grades are not such as 0W40 and 0W20 ... Do you plan to have all grades available in 5 quarts jug in the future ?

I would also like to thank you for providing a means of communication so to speak between Exxon Mobil, and it's users in which I hope we can clear up some long standing questions. Many loyal Mobil 1 users reside here, and I myself while not totally loyal to M1 do, and have used it with good results.

I would like for you to address the high iron issues on UOA reports, and explain this as well as you can without giving away any proprietary information of course (read please go in depth on your answer not just a no the high iron readings will not hurt, or it's just noise from a chemical reaction etc) if you could give some data, show us how you got your answer etc.. The high iron readings is/has been a huge issue with M1 oils, and I myself do admit to having second thoughts because of this.

Group III or Group IV/V base stock this is as well an ongoing debate, and a debate that welds a double edge sword so to speak. I hope you can/will shed light on this subject ending this debate once and for-all !! I see nice M1 prices while shopping for oils, at walmart M1 is now one of the cheaper synthetics as well at many other retail stores it can be said M1 is one of the cheaper priced synthetics off the shelf which is great.. so just by this alone I have come to the conclusion that M1 is group III which I find nothing wrong with, and please if you can explain in depth the use of group III oil in this soon to be sticky it would be outstanding to have two oil manufactures back to back showing information on the use of group III for base stock verses just purchasing oil deeming it by base stock group.

I will jump on the band wagon with others please make the 0w- oils more available in 5 quart jugs (even at just walmart if that will be the sole carrier of 5 quart jugs) I would prefer to use 0w-20 for my application.. the 5 quart jug is easier to carry, makes a perfect container for carrying waste oil back in for disposal/recycling and of course is a substantial svaings in cost for us purchasing the oil.

I know short to the point questions are easier to answer, and reply to.. however I did want to make sure my questions were in depth, and hope to get answers in the same degree.

To add a few short questions, or reiterate on others

Please give use 0w-20/0w-30 oils we want these, and I would choose them over the 5w every time myself if the price was the same or close which seems to be true from my experience... we want these 0w- oils, and no one seems to be offering them up.

Ow-20/0w-30 oils in EP, and AFE line in the 5 quart jugs please !!

As I perused the online data sheets for all of Mobil's oils, I noticed that, of the oils that actually showed the data, the lowest pour point listed was -54C. Interestingly, that was from the relatively thick 5w30 Truck & SUV and 10w30 High Mileage. What is it about the formulation of those two oils that gives them a lower pour point than even your much thinner 5w20 offerings?

Also, on a related note, the online data sheet for the 0w20 AFE does not list a pour point. I would certainly appreciate finding out what it is.

Thank you.

Obvious basic questions i can't believe no one has asked yet:

How does current Mobil 1 5W30 do on the SeqIV test? How many microns of camshaft wear in this test?

What is your response to Valvoline's statements below:

Q Why should I choose Valvoline SynPower motor oil over Mobil 1?

A: Mobil 1 5W30 DOES NOT MEET the most basic API SM or ILSAC GF-4 specifications. That means Mobil 1 5W30 cannot meet basic GM, Ford, Chrysler or Honda Specifications. Valvoline Synpower exceeds the specifications in all tests.

Mobil prides itself on having unique relationships with OEM's. What specific advantages does this give you when making Mobil 1? The 600,000 mile Mercedes test is one example. Is Mobil paying these companies to use Mobil 1, or do they choose it based on it's performance?

As stated above, Ashland's claims in conjunction with higher Fe in UOA's have caused suspicion of whether Mobil 1's cam wear protection is as good as competitor oils. BP and Ashland for months ran ads claiming 4 and 8x better wear on an industry standard Seq IVA test. Can you elaborate on this?

Is there enough demand for an Extended Performance 0w-20 and 0w-30 oil?

Thank you!

They aren't going to answer until the end of the month, Monday 9/27. They are gathering questions until then.

I saw that the 5 qt jugs changed over the past few months at various retailers. Does this mark the introduction of the new GF-5 oils, or will we have to pay more attention to manufacture dates along with product labels?

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
I see lots of questions, but no answers. :)

You need to read their opening statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back