BITOG - Mobil 1 Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Hello BITOG Members from the team behind Mobil 1,

We read posts in automotive-enthusiast forums frequently, and it probably comes as no surprise to know that we consider the members of BITOG to be among the most knowledgeable when it comes to Mobil 1. It would appear that quite a few of you are fans of our products (and thank you for that), and many of you have questions about them.

We therefore would like to give you an opportunity to ask questions about Mobil 1 and have them answered by our engineers. Whatever it is, let us know and we’ll do our best to answer your questions. We only ask that you keep in mind a few things:

When it comes to questions about formulation, much of that is proprietary information, so we may be limited regarding the level of detail we can provide. We also cannot answer questions about our future plans or product introductions.

We aren’t able to answer questions about our competitors. We focus entirely on the continued testing and improvement of Mobil 1 and don’t claim to be experts about our competitors’ products or how they compare to ours.

Please use this thread only for questions, rather than commentary. If you have specific feedback about Mobil 1, we ask that you give us a call at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL.

The thread will be open for question collection until Monday, September 13th. At that time, we’ll gather the questions and will provide answers on Monday, September 27th.

We look forward to receiving your questions!

Sincerely,

Ray McDonald

Global Technical Advisor, Synthetic Passenger Vehicle Lubricants, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties

…and the rest of the Mobil 1 team!

I've got one:

I've got some old (1960s) high-performance American v8 engines with moderately aggressive cams and high spring pressures, but not wild enough to be considered "racing" engines. I want oils that control deposits and hold up to everyday driving which rules out most of the racing oils that are available and would protect the cam. Most of the premium street engine oils today are tailored for newer engines with roller cams, overhead cams, and very light spring pressures. So I've been using diesel engine oils like your M1 TDT and Shell's Rotella T6. The downside is that these engines are really more set up for a 30-wt oil and develop high oil pressure on these HD engine oils, wasting power and stressing the oil pump drive gears. From reading oil analyses, it seems like your M1 0w40 oil might fill the bill a little better. Its still heavier than I'd really like, but it looks to be a little thinner than TDT 5w40 at operating temperatures, and still looks like its got an additive package that would work well with old-school cams and moderately high spring pressures. Do you have a better recommendation?

Why do the UOA's show higher iron than other synthetic oil UOA's?
28.gif

Is the newest version of Mobil 1 15W50 a PAO/ester based oil (grp IV/V),or is it a grp III hydrocracked based oil? Is there any difference between the newest label version and the previous silver cap version?

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions.

Mobil 1 has been considered by many to be the "Gold Standard" among synthetic oils. There is little doubt that Mobil 1 has always been among the best oils in the market place. However, over the past few years there has been a significant amount of criticism of the Mobil 1 brand in many internet forums. And it's not just noise. It would be nice to address the issues that matter most to your loyal fan base.

For unknown reasons, Mobil 1 tends to show higher Fe in various oil analysis reports compared to other branded oils in similar driving conditions. I've been on this website long enough to know that it's a real characteristic of the oil. We understand that this maybe nothing "significant" at all, and that the scientific process is far from good considering the used oil analysis samples we see on here. Can XOM confirm that the perceived higher than normal Fe is not a problem?

Oil consumption is a common complaint among your 5w30 vs other competitive brands. Is there a reason for this?

Will XOM continue to make the Extended Performance oils? Why not make 1 Mobil 1, and just claim that it's good for up to 15k miles out of warranty? The regular Mobil 1 appears to offer no advantage over many of your competitor's oils.

Thanks!

Thank you for providing this forum for Q&A. Over the years I have used M1 oils with engines that have timing chains, both overhead cams and overhead valve engines. I do 10-12K OCIs with no apparent chain problems, or apparent oil degradation.
Question.. Do timing chains place noticeable stress on engine oil requing shorter OCIs than engines that use timing belts? As you can see I am now using M1 5-20EP. Is your EP oil suitable for the 15K OCI as you advertise with overhead cam engines that use timing chains?

Thanks again for the opportunity you are giving us.

With Mobil 1 HM 10w30 with pour point of -54F and HM 5w30 of -42F is the 10w30 safe to use in Temps 0F to -25F or through winters in Wisconsin.

Also:

What improvements will there be for GF-5/SN?

Will Mobil 1 officially meet dexos1?

Why does Mobil 1 0w-30 only meet ACEA A1/B1 and not A5/B5?

Why was Mobil 1 0w-20 tested for GM 4718M?

Will Mobil 1 still be factory fill for the Corvette?

One other question. There has been much debate over the cooler that is attached to the front of the MB in the million kilometer test you recently came out with. It is some sort of cooler, so my question is what kind of cooler is it? Engine, tranny, differential?

Thanks again
Tig1

1. Are there any known issues with running a heavier oil, such as M1 0w40, in engines spec'd for lighter oils, such as 5w20? I ask because I've been using 0w40 in a few of the (non VCT) Ford Modular engines with zero consumption (5w20 was 1L/10,000Km) and a quieter valve train.

2. Why does the Canadian PDS for the 0w40 differ from the US version? (flash point is different: 236C for the Canadian one, 230C for the US one, no pour point on the US one, cST at 40 and 100 different..etc).

3. When are we going to see the 0w20 and 0w30 AFE oils in Canada? These oils are very desirable up here in the "Great White North" due to their low-temp performance characteristics.

Thanks for a great product line! I still remember getting 5 qts of M1 as a birthday gift (approx?) 27 years ago. (I have good friends!)

Anyway - some members here have some of the new DI engines and are concerned about deposits. Which product do you recommend and what have you found in testing M1 in DI engines?

To add to tomcat27's post, if I may:

I'd be more concerned about major league fuel dilution with the DI engines and the oil's inability to achieve an extended OCI, i.e., 7,500 miles or more.

Does XOM plan on offering a "robust" motor oil in the 5w-20 and 5w-30 viscosities that would withstand the deposit and/or fuel dilution issues in DI engines and allow for extended OCIs? Or have you actually tested the EP line with DI engines and believe it can withstand the "stress" of DI engines?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: buster

Why does Mobil 1 0w-30 only meet ACEA A1/B1 and not A5/B5?

^^^This was going to be my question as well but coming from a long time user of your product i have no worries with this currant rating, i abuse this oil in my line of work and with extended oil change intervals and never any engine problems.

your products are one of the best I've used keep up the good work and thanks for taking our questions.

one other question as well,, like to know calcium,and TBN levels in your 5w30HM.

Welcome - and thank you for caring!

As a long time Mobil 1 user, I must reiterate the concerns others have expressed about the clearly higher iron content in UOA reports. I would like to understand the reason and physical/chemical mechanism behind the elevated levels. I understand the absolute iron levels are not of much concern, but the relatively higher levels are disturbing when one is paying top dollar for what is perceived to be a top class product. This is especially true when considered in the context of your competitor's claims that the 5W-30 has failed the cam wear specification in the Sequence IV engine test.

Tom NJ

Hardcore302,

I found the answer to your question on the Mobil1 FAQ here:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx#Mobil_1_FAQs10

"Why do you recommend Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy as an alternative to 5W-20 when my car manufacturer recommends 5W-20?

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy exceeds many new car warranty requirements where SAE 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy provides the high temperature protection of 5W-20 oils while offering improved fuel economy."

If the manufacturer of my car recommends a 5W-20 motor oil, will I void my warranty if I use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy instead?

If your car manufacturer recommends a SAE 5W-20 ILSAC oil (starburst), we recommend either Mobil 1 5W-20 or Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy. You will not void your warranty. Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy can provide better fuel economy and better low temperature performance."

Thank you for doing this, I too am a long time user to Mobil products. I have few questions but I also like you to know that people at large including my self expect Mobil products to be simply best and better than what is available over the counter at the retailers, since it is an established brand and also demands top dollars!

1. Why does dozens upon dozens of M1 UOA's show significantly higher Fe than other oils in the same application? (You can confirm this yourself by checking under UOA section, where most of the tests are done by Blackstone)

Recently even ESP has shown higher Fe wear in one if the UOA, there is an absolute consensus among BITOGER'S that this is true.

This is "The Most" pressing question about M1 and I really hope that you get to the bottom of this.

2. I really wish you had 0W-20 & 0W-30 in EP line up instead of 5W-20 & 5W-30!

3. Why does not M1 EP 5W-30 meets all the same mfg specs which M1 5W-30 does?

4. When will you make M1 oil filters available in Dominion of Canada?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: dkryan
To add to tomcat27's post, if I may:

I'd be more concerned about major league fuel dilution with the DI engines and the oil's inability to achieve an extended OCI, i.e., 7,500 miles or more.

Does XOM plan on offering a "robust" motor oil in the 5w-20 and 5w-30 viscosities that would withstand the deposit and/or fuel dilution issues in DI engines and allow for extended OCIs? Or have you actually tested the EP line with DI engines and believe it can withstand the "stress" of DI engines?

Thanks.

And Id like to add to this. If the DI intake and valve deposits are a recognized issue by Porsche what is XOM doing in conjuction with Porsche to address the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back