BITOG is full of snobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
To be honest i have met some that didn't know a lot but that's okay i will help them find me the right part, at least the guy is working for a living and i respect him for that.

Could not agree more.

You make a couple of good points, but i don't know if a parts person who knows about "things like racing, off-roading, lifting, lowering, basic mechanics" but not oil can be excused. I would think oil is a huge seller, and I would expect a retail employee to be somewhat familiar with the questions that come up, and at least be able to use the computer to get manufacturers recommendations

Originally Posted By: Astro14
"it's too thin", he said. He didn't even know what kind of car I owned!

I've heard that oh... about a dozen times by people who had no clue what kind of car I even had. Guess which side of this argument I sit on???

I understand that they probably don't pay well enough to have amazing staff, but to have less than your average customer but still feel inclined to give advice is beyond me. I have had some good experiences but more bad than good. I'd rather just not have any conversation at this point.

In my experience the dealer counter is a better place but then they only need to know one make. If you only have to know 10% as many cars it should be that much easier to be knowledgeable.

In Germany a sales person has to go to school for 3+ months to learn about what they are selling. They have to take and pass a test. I bought some boots in Berlin and the sales person knew about the different kinds or soles, boot lasts, thread and stitching, and leather. I didn't understand any of it.

I think the problem has more to do with personal development.

There will ALWAYS be somebody that knows more than you, and somebody that knows less. A person could use that rule anywhere for anything, even with motor oil. The problem (which is purely a personal issue) is how we look at people that are more/less developed in some endeavor. Do we ridicule? Idolize? Or, do we accept that there are things in the world that don't always make sense and then help those that need it and walk away from those that refuse it. Those that refuse it may not be so stupid after all, and perhaps a body should do their own premise-check.

Be patient. Be compassionate. And stand well away from things that are big enough to eat you.

Perhaps it is human nature, or cultural, but when asked a question one does not know the answer to, a large percentage of people answer as if they do.

So instead of:

" I have no experience or education in this matter and therefore my opinion is worthless."

One gets a:
"You need a 20w 50 in that car!" or similar, Spoken with authority that their opinions are indeed facts and therefore indisputable.

Generally if I hear an opinion stated as a fact, I just move on. I got my own ego do deal with, why should I bother with theirs?

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

Generally if I hear an opinion stated as a fact, I just move on. I got my own ego do deal with, why should I bother with theirs?

01.gif

Are they snobs or do they simply detest the attitude that SOME countermen take, which is they will make stuff up if they don't know the facts?

I have no problem with someone not knowing. There are many times in my job where I don't know. The difference is I'll say, "I don't know, but I'll find out."

So when I encounter someone who acts like they know, when it's obvious they don't, well color me un-impressed.

Is that being snob, or simply expecting honesty from the guy behind the counter? I'd like to think it's the latter.

Are there snobs here? Probably. But I suspect most just don't want to put up with folks who make stuff up or pass down "old wives tales" about how XYZ oil is junk because their great uncle's best friends barber said so.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
This thread is in response to "The truth about oil: Autozone style" thread. It is one of many threads where everyone on this board makes fun of parts store employees, looking down on them as morons who only know what the computer tells them to do. As a part-time "counter-jockey" (as some of you like to call them), I take personal offense to this. I have never seen an automotive forum that bashes parts guys as much as this one. And why is that? Because this is an oil forum, and other auto forums are not. Other forums talk about things like racing, off-roading, lifting, lowering, basic mechanics, and other things that most other people, including parts guys are commonly knowledgable about. But since these people don't know much about oil, that makes them utter morons who shouldn't be let within 10 ft of a vehicle.
smirk.gif

Even many expert technicians who have been in the field for over 30 years don't know anything about oil, so why should anyone expect a parts guy to know it?

It's funny how a lot of guys on here call parts guys "armchair mechanics" when THEY'RE the ones who have never done anything more advanced than a cooler-line flush on their car. And based on some of the ridiculous questions I see asked on this board, I wonder how many of you guys are "oil experts" and how you have any right to criticize others' oil knowledge.

I don't claim to know every last thing about oil, but I know more than enough to give customers good, safe recommendations about the fluids their vehicles need, as well as recommendations/advice about other areas of their vehicle such as gaskets, air conditioning, suspension, and brakes. I'm good at my job.

I'd like to see some of you do a better job than me. I really would. Rant over.

An anecdote:

Lady comes into my parts/tire store and asks the asst manager what antifreeze she should run. (holding a generic all makes long life product).

I try explaining it's fine for her GM, as it's HOAT just missing the trademarked dye. Two of the three people in the aisle had big
confused2.gif
over their heads.

Then the manager says, "this mixes with everything" and got a sale.

I then volunteered to shut up and stay behind the "staff only" door to the bays.
wink.gif

Like all said it really depends on the person.

Some really great people work behind counters and I've had some answers that I couldn't find anywhere from these guys. On the other hand, consumers just buy what they want at the lowest prices and experienced staff tends to work elsewhere than getting low pay from these entry level jobs. People may ask the questions online and then find out what they need before they even go to the store with sales staff that is nothing more than a warm body security.

If they can make a part store into a vending machine with no staff, they would.

1) Almost every vehicle comes with a owner's manual. Not only that, almost all of the places where you need to add fluid, the specification is listed right there.
2) If not, all information is readily available over internet. It has been a great equalizer.
3) Your cellphone can tell you the exact part that your car needs.

There is really no reason for somebody to walk in blindly in a parts store. Either go there with your VIN number and let them find it for you or you do the initial leg work and ask for the exact part.

- Vikas

I read "dumb counter guy" threads for entertainment... much the same way others go people-watching in public.

I like to think most guys, and many gals, here in my area are auto savvy. Very few "dumb counter guy" stories from my end.

And, yes, I've gotten into the habit of bringing the VIN to the store with me for parts. Better yet to bring in the old part.

All I ask of a counter guy is that he knows where to find the stock in his store. I usually look up the parts in the on-line catalog. If you are looking for some old part for a 40 yr old orphan , then you are just asking to be frustrated. Do yourself a favor and do some prior research.

I like reading about uninformed counter guy. I really love trying to teach him and he looks confused like I do not know what I am talking about. I try to mentor people and share my knowledge and experience because I do not want the cycle of people of either sharing improper knowledge or ignorance to continue and hopefully the knowledge and experience I share will continued to be shared with someone else down the line. I do sound harsh sometimes especially when someone is sharing or selling information that does not make sense. That is my 2 pennies!

Like in most other areas of customer service, I have experienced a mixture of employees / "parts guys" at AAP or AZ:
Some of them knowledgeable and able to help and knew what I was talking about, some of them seemed totally lost and had no clue.

One would be wrong to say they're all great, just like one would be wrong to say they're all dumb.

Therefore, I highly doubt that a real consensus/conclusion can be reached in this discussion.

That said, I think people who seek service in AAP or AZ should also have some idea about what they're looking for.

When I am looking for a part/item, at AAP or AZ or Radioshack or Napa whatever or even Lowes etc, I always try to research beforehand as much as I can and always write down the part number or catalogue number for the specific store - that helps and earns mutual respect, IMO. and saves time, too.

my idea / experance is that there far fewer morons at the counter than most think. as a customer i have a responsibly to know what i want. but some times i want something different than the book calls out. at that point i should know what what to ask for. the thing that happened to me. i was experimenting with different spark plugs. i ask for a certain part no. but the cat at the counter kept asking for what CAR it goes in.

There are some people who visit bitgo who act like snobs. There are some people here who act like they know everything. One thing I have discovered in my life is that nobody knows everything. There are people who think they know everything. I have never actually met a human being who knows everything.

And it is silly to stereotype people. Anytime somebody says that all auto parts employees are like this or all mechanics are like this or all anybody is like this this obviously has to be wrong. I have met some auto parts employees who didn't seem to know much of anything. I have also met some very well informed auto parts employees. And everything in between these two extremes. Anybody could be working in an auto parts store. Some young guy or woman just out of high school could be working in such a store. Or a retired auto mechanic could be working there just out of boredom in retirement and to make a little extra money. Just recently I met an elderly man in a Lowe's Store who seems to know a lot about many things and he was bored in retirement. After 7 years of retirement doing basically nothing he went back to work.

Anytime somebody stereotypes a certain group of people and says they are all the same the one thing you can be sure of is that the person doing the stereotyping is wrong.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
There are some people who visit bitgo who act like snobs. There are some people here who act like they know everything. One thing I have discovered in my life is that nobody knows everything. There are people who think they know everything. I have never actually met a human being who knows everything.

And it is silly to stereotype people. Anytime somebody says that all auto parts employees are like this or all mechanics are like this or all anybody is like this this obviously has to be wrong. I have met some auto parts employees who didn't seem to know much of anything. I have also met some very well informed auto parts employees. And everything in between these two extremes. Anybody could be working in an auto parts store. Some young guy or woman just out of high school could be working in such a store. Or a retired auto mechanic could be working there just out of boredom in retirement and to make a little extra money. Just recently I met an elderly man in a Lowe's Store who seems to know a lot about many things and he was bored in retirement. After 7 years of retirement doing basically nothing he went back to work.

Anytime somebody stereotypes a certain group of people and says they are all the same the one thing you can be sure of is that the person doing the stereotyping is wrong.

+1 You get all kinds on the internet, just like you would asking anybody on the street. The idea is that hopefully you will walk into the right place and as the right person.

I'm with the folks who have a reason to be annoyed with the parts counter people that DO NOT KNOW an answer and yet somehow feel obliged to offer one, that yes could causing damaging results.

Rule number 1 should be if you do not know the answer
DO NOT OFFER ONE!

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Even many expert technicians who have been in the field for over 30 years don't know anything about oil, so why should anyone expect a parts guy to know it?

They get a substantial amount of grief here, too, along with the dealerships. I know plenty of parts guys who know nothing about oil, one of whom thought 0w-40 was too thin for the summer but 5w-30 would be okay. I know a lady who sold oil and knew all the European proprietary specifications by heart. Knowledge is all over the place in the parts business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back