BITOG is full of snobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stelth
BTW, I'm a plumber. So I'm a "turd-chaser", all I have to know is that excrement flows downhill and payday's on Friday, "nothing dumber than a plumber", I rip people off all day long, you get the idea. The fact is that I've been doing this for 27 years, and I know my trade inside and out, but we still have the stereotypes to deal with.

Off topic, but to be honest, I think a good plumber is the most valuable tech on the planet.

I like my local Autozone which is quite close to me. The folks know enough and try. I would never berate the people who work there or any parts store.

My local Autozone actually has two real cuties working there.

I think it is highly ironic to say BITOG is full of snobs based on a post or two you have read about Chain store auto parts "professionals". I say this because you are doing the exact same thing describing some of the "unprofessionals" on this thread. Something of the sort of calling the kettle black, eh?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'm with the folks who have a reason to be annoyed with the parts counter people that DO NOT KNOW an answer and yet somehow feel obliged to offer one, that yes could causing damaging results.

Rule number 1 should be if you do not know the answer
DO NOT OFFER ONE!

The problem becomes that salespeople get bonuses and salesperson of the month on...sales...not on technical proficiency.

So a profound expounder of bovine fecal matter can be considered a "winner", in spite of sending many customers down the wrong path, while sounding convincing.

A counter guy who hears my part description, and turns the screen to me and asks "is this the one, or do we go back a screen" is worth his weight in gold.

The "regional sales manager' who turns up at my work with a timken machine, asking me to bring out my "best" grease...worse than the 40W-20 guy.

When I go to my local Repco branch and ask for a filter for a car the person on the counter asks for the rego number - I say don't be lazy and give them make,model,year,chassis number and engine number. Sometimes I have to guide them through this complex process that only 5 years ago every parts person knew back to front. Dumbing down the dumbest people.

My apologies. I made a generalization I shouldn't have. What I meant was that most (not all) "quick lube" tech's are inexperienced at anything but the most basic maintenance. This is not a criticism, just an observation. In most cases this position is a job, not a career. I mean no disrespect for any of them. I respect ANYONE who works in any field, instead of sitting home collecting "entitlements" when they are able to contribute to society.

Take another product. Soap, jewelry, dog food, guns...

How much do a LARGE chunk of the people selling those products really know about the product? Condensing it down because I have to get ready for work: Seems to me, the further the person is (in a hierarchy sense) from the "God like knowledgeable owner of said product", the less the person seems to know.

Do we expect the dog food stocking person at Walmart to know Fido's alimentary canal and how to cure his gas problem? I hope not! OTOH when we walk in a gun shop do we expect a gun shop employee to have a firm grasp on every gun on the market? We might, yet it's amazingly rare. In fact some of the "junk" I've been told at gun stores, I knew was absolute bunk or I later found out to be pure garbage. And there are reasons for this. Mainly because that god like person didn't directly channel or care to directly channel that knowledge or at least set a standard that all his minions should always have the knowledge or shut their mouths and go get the answer if necessary.

You will note that I have not participated in such bashing sessions and if I did it was to joke or just pass on my own anecdote. Please - we all have them. I was in a large surplus ammo shop and an employee told me directly a certain caliber was no longer available. Totally untrue. Lie or lack of knowledge?

Hahhhhh.....I do have a point....and maybe you picked up on it. It's the usual. BUYER BEWARE. Oh yeah and never actually be surprised by what you hear from someone separated from the source by more than one degree.

Can't believe this is still going....

Yet another reason not to take the internet seriously.

Bottom line-the internet is like real life-you gotta have a tougher skin. (or cry in the corner when need I guess.
smirk.gif
)

You think the opinions here are harsh? You should try some of my other car sites....

At least there is a much better respect for people here on BITOG.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
It has been my experiemce that many of the counter jockeys in this area are plant life. NAPA and CarQuest are good, AA & Advance are hopeless.

Interesting point, as I see the same in my area.

And to the OP, get some skin. Lots of names get bandied about here, no reason to get offended. As Pops said earlier, it's only an Internet message board!

You wouldn't last a week in my biz. Talk about name calling...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
It has been my experiemce that many of the counter jockeys in this area are plant life. NAPA and CarQuest are good, AA & Advance are hopeless.

Interesting point, as I see the same in my area.

And to the OP, get some skin. Lots of names get bandied about here, no reason to get offended. As Pops said earlier, it's only an Internet message board!

You wouldn't last a week in my biz. Talk about name calling...

Sad to say the AAP and Auto Zone around here are the same. While there are good parts guys around its tough to find them in chain stores. But then again how much can you really expect from a person paid $10/hr or less? My AAP now has a manager that was a manager at Target, he's clueless when it comes to cars.

Quote:
Tell him that you need a set of points for a 73 International 1210 with a 392 and a Delco distributer.

Would you like that with with a separate condenser of the Blue Streak with attached condenser (do they even make those any more)?

Just utter the word "points" in any AAP or AZ and they'll begin furiously typing away on the computer trying to figure out what they are and where in their database they hide, or just deny that there is such a thing (since their Scion/Civic/Integra in the lot doesn't have them).

I ran into something like that with something else that seemed straightforward to me. I actually knew the part number (that I got from their site) but they wanted to find it themselves. They looked for 10 minutes on the computer before giving up.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Tell him that you need a set of points for a 73 International 1210 with a 392 and a Delco distributer.

Would you like that with with a separate condenser of the Blue Streak with attached condenser (do they even make those any more)?

What?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

thumbsup2.gif

I don't know. I haven't sold parts in a long time.

Spent a bit of time helping early Jeep owners convert to GM HEI from points or that hapless Prestolite ignition though. AMC distributor gear was tricky to find post Chrysler takeover/pre-eBay.

Originally Posted By: Garak
BTW, I'm a plumber. So I'm a "turd-chaser", all I have to know is that excrement flows downhill and payday's on Friday, "nothing dumber than a plumber", I rip people off all day long, you get the idea. The fact is that I've been doing this for 27 years, and I know my trade inside and out, but we still have the stereotypes to deal with.

Off topic, but to be honest, I think a good plumber is the most valuable tech on the planet.

Off Topic but turd chasers are some of the most insightful and intelligent people I have spoken to along with Deck Gorilla's.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Bottom line-the internet is like real life-you gotta have a tougher skin.

You think the opinions here are harsh? You should try some of my other car sites....

I strongly agree. (and forgive me for dragging this thread out even further)

On the honda forums, a kid posted a technical writeup with a video -- “GUARANTEED way to increase your horsepower in 10 minutes!”

His post was critisized. He responded. They insulted him. They asked him questions – baiting him. He tried to defend. They then ripped his technical writeup to shreds – line by line. On and on. Some insults were funny and in good fun. Others were downright nasty.

They then phtoshopped his pic in what I can only describe as "men with men" setting (forgive me if that term is not tame enough).

The moderator stepped in and added the following:

“I can change your thread. I can lock your thread, I can delete your thread. I can do whatever the [censored] I want with it, but I'm enjoying watching you try to backpedal.

I'm tired of know nothing [censored]s like yourself coming in here making claims with….”

The moderator added this AFTER making several insults himself.

Too mean? To harsh?

Well the kid WAS spreading misinformation on a technical forum. And those that were tearing in to the kid DID know their stuff.

And this kid did later post the question “Why does my car not work anymore?” In other words, why did my engine suddenly die?

Duh. Because you went crazy with the seafoam, you moron. Even I knew that.

Call me mean spirited but I think this kid got what he deserved. And I kind of enjoy the fact that I KNOW that what I read on there is quality. They do a good job of policing themselves.

And I should confess that I do kind of enjoy seeing flare ups on forums that I’m NOT responsible for moderating.

Sue me.
smile.gif

Again, forgive the longwindedness.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1502112&page=5

[i truly do value this forum very much also, and i don't mean to imply otherwise]

"This website makes me weep for the future of humanity."
-- Grumblemarc, aka The Grumpiest, senior member of honda tech, author of well respected technical write ups

Rough crowd!!!

grin2.gif
grin2.gif

that was in his signature, btw

Hi Stelth,

There are jerks in every kind of business.

I know who some of them are in the local Autozone and O'Reilly, but I know who the good ones are, too.

And i am a bean counter. And that would explain why females always find me to be so very exciting.

I appreciate what you wrote.

"CPAs are [censored]s!!!"
-- a CPA, at a CPA firm where i used to work

Some of us bean counters do fully recognize that there ARE some awful people in our own profession.

regards

I don't consider myself a snob, and I find that most of the employees at parts stores are gearheads or techs to one degree or another.
A number of techs retire from their first career early, because the physical demands of the job are unbearable after a certain age or number of years, and many of them work at parts stores.
You do hear some stupid oil advice from time to time, but you also find a number of employees who want to learn about oil and are willing to listen.
I've even told a number of them of this site, and I'm sure some have at least visited.
As long as the parts guy isn't making crazy recommendations that might cause harm, like using 20W-50 in a late model Honda, no harm is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back