BITOG Gets Eclipsed!

wwillson

Staff member
The normal traffic curve is a nice rounded bell curve from morning until late evening. Today there is a missing chunk of that bell curve.

eclipse.jpg

I'm reminded of an obscure bit of trivia - IIRC, this involved an Olympic gold medal game some years ago, with Canada in the final. At least one Canadian city reported an unprecedented spike in water consumption about two minutes after the end of regulation time, with a tense overtime looming.

The unusually high water consumption was attributed to many toilets being flushed at the same time.

I'm reminded of an obscure bit of trivia - IIRC, this involved an Olympic gold medal game some years ago, with Canada in the final. At least one Canadian city reported an unprecedented spike in water consumption about two minutes after the end of regulation time, with a tense overtime looming.

The unusually high water consumption was attributed to many toilets being flushed at the same time.
I saw an article saying that British electrical grid operators know to expect a big surge in demand after major "soccer" games when millions of viewers go put the kettle on after the game ends.

I saw an article saying that British electrical grid operators know to expect a big surge in demand after major "soccer" games when millions of viewers go put the kettle on after the game ends.

I remember when I was an apprentice electrician we had a lesson on the national grid and how it operates. We did a short case study of a night when there was some kind of popular TV program on in the 70's, and as you said everyone got up after the program finished and turned their kettles on and nearly brought the grid down!

Back