BITOG Donation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a new year, and I thought I’d try to encourage others to be site donors.
Why not instead encourage BITOG to have vendors pay for it? Free Market has worked well for our favorite pastimes, i.e., XOM, Phillips66, Valvoline, Motul, etc...Why not for this board?

Being able to express a family-oriented opinion on motor oil has nothing to do with sponsors. Or, it shouldn't.

Nothing against donations, I might become one sooner than later, but there are better alternatives.

Weird, I've NEVER experienced anything like you mention. I usually only make a few dozen transaction/year, but I've never had an issue buying.

I use PayPal WAY less often to receive payments, but haven't had any problem getting small amounts (usually less than $100) transferred pretty quickly.

Maybe you were dealing with large sums, but for most of us who use it as an added layer of protection over our CC's it has worked well for everyday purchases.

I don't have anything good nor bad to say about Ebay. I've always felt it to be one level above Craigslist on the sketchiness scale, but I don't have anything to back that up but one bad experience where I eventually got my money back....thanks to Paypal, actually.

/

Using it start and cancel a recurring payment to a place like BITOG? I think PayPal is ideal. If I want to stop, I simply go to Paypal and cancel the recurring payment. Idiot-proof.

I had PayPal ohhh... 2000-"2011"

2011 ? My Ebay got shut down, out of the blue, no reason given.

EBAY customer support doesn't exist

My PayPal was linked to it

I was selling about three things a month

I was "retronrex" That username is GONE

I feel shady things were happening, that was only the start of bad experiences.

I of course am mad.. I was doing great on EBAY but like know I just buy, don't put up ads anymore.

I had a group of people doing a whole bunch of character assa... you know what, no. But I was for sure "targeted."

Similar to when people get de-platformed..

I *THINK* I can still use it but only through family member account.

As to using it to pay... I'd rather just enter in my card number now.

Hope this helps, as I would struggle to explain why my experience wasn't good beyond these broad strokes and I've since found better options amyway...

You didn't answer most of my question:

How little can people actually donate? Are there hidden fees that make some value or less infeasible?

Would most of donating a buck or two a month do it? How hard up are you guys?
Lol I have no idea, I’m not a moderator.

Why not instead encourage BITOG to have vendors pay for it? Free Market has worked well for our favorite pastimes, i.e., XOM, Phillips66, Valvoline, Motul, etc...Why not for this board?

Being able to express a family-oriented opinion on motor oil has nothing to do with sponsors. Or, it shouldn't.

Nothing against donations, I might become one sooner than later, but there are better alternatives.
When vendors pay, you end up with more ads. Top banners, side banners, bottom banners, gets really annoying.
I do wish that there was an option to donate to not see the few ads there are now.

One thing that bugs me is that depending you your layout, finding how to donate is not easy.
I posted about this a while back, with no real response.

edit: well seems the only spot I can find the donate button now is on the main forum page on the right lower side.

Last edited:
I should share, for those that haven't found it: There IS an option to NOT pay with PayPal. This is most reassuring.

The Donate button is on the bottom of the main forum listing on mobile. 📱

Quick question.. when you donate $50 or $100, does it automatically generate the Site Donor badge?

The ads will stay. As mentioned in the other thread, you need an ad-blocker. I would NOT recommend you block any ads unless you plan to donate. It's a fair compromise, IMO.
That's a shame.

I only offer two options:

Donate. Ads go away. Site gets money.

Don't donate. I block ads. No ad revenue. No donation. Nobody gets anything.

Yep.

Also, you see some threads being locked ( or at least a moderator chiming in cautioning members to stay on topic , or else ) fast while others continue with no intervention and allowed to go off topic.
Moderators cannot see and read all posts. They have real lives too.

If you see something inappropriate going on, click the Report button.

For me, there has to be more consistency with rules enforcement before I would donate ( locked threads; personal code of conduct ) with all due respect.
Totally agree. There are some members who should of been off a long time ago because they are ALWAYS rude to other members especially new members there are three right off I can think of. They have ran several regular members off too. Until they are gone I’m not giving anything. I don’t want to get in trouble for saying that but it’s just how I feel every day seeing their negative posts drives me away from this board more and more. It’s definitely against the rules I’m sure. I’m finally over my post getting deleted the other day maybe I said a little to much but they have all those abusive posts that needs to be deleted as well I didn’t say anything bad I just might of touched on a forbidden subject too much. What I said was way less worse than what they have said. Then there are members who I greatly appreciate and enjoy and stay around for them. Sorry if I got on a rant I just want to make sure my voice is heard about my dissatisfaction.

Totally agree. There are some members who should of been off a long time ago because they are ALWAYS rude to other members especially new members there are three right off I can think of. They have ran several regular members off too. Until they are gone I’m not giving anything. I don’t want to get in trouble for saying that but it’s just how I feel every day seeing their negative posts drives me away from this board more and more. It’s definitely against the rules I’m sure. I’m finally over my post getting deleted the other day maybe I said a little to much but they have all those abusive posts that needs to be deleted as well I didn’t say anything bad I just might of touched on a forbidden subject too much. What I said was way less worse than what they have said. Then there are members who I greatly appreciate and enjoy and stay around for them. Sorry if I got on a rant I just want to make sure my voice is heard about my dissatisfaction.

Lots of people have left since I've been here because of some of what you have mentioned.

Last edited:
Moderators cannot see and read all posts. They have real lives too.

If you see something inappropriate going on, click the Report button.
The thread in question had a moderator post something ( unrelated to the rules ) so they had to know what was going on. I did report it.

Why are you suggesting I feel moderators do not have a life?

Definitely. The civility rule doesn't apply in some situations plus stuff goes off-topic. Ironically, the very ones who do not like an old thread being revived do not complain when it's still going on in that thread ( despite it being sort of funny to be honest ). Members should not be the ones telling others to basically not post something because they feel the thread is too old. Them responding is, ironically, keeping it more alive which is funny but hypocritical.

I am just having a conversation and pointing out what I notice. I am not losing sleep over it tonight ( I will if I stay on BITOG too late LOL ) .

I am moving on from this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back