BITOG 2012 FAVORITE OIL FILTER'S RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I demand a recount!
How can MC not be number 1? I smell a cover up!
Rant.gif
soapbox-1.gif

Good job KC!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Thanks for the info.

The list is top heavy with premium filters as a generalization.

Just confirms what we see in other info on this site, but that's not surprising either. This website is (mostly) adorned by aficionados of all things lube related. We are, generally, zealots about this stuff. It is no more a shock to see high-end filters top this list, then it is to see how many synthetic/short OCI UOAs are posted. Most folks here over-buy for their application, because of their emotional attachment to the topic.

I agree with your assessment of the general mindset here, absolutely, I'm as guilty of it as anyone. But on the filters used, two of the top 3 are 3 dollar something filters, and the Pure One is a premium filter usually had for mid-tier pricing.

So I'd say while BITOG'ers are more than happy to spend money on oil and filters, they like a bargain too!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
This was collected off the "Post your latest oil change" thread, so this is not probably a mirrored reflection of BITOG as much as an indication of the preferences of those who actually prefer to post on that thread.

This for the win!

I agree with this. Though I've done many O/F changes, personally haven't posted on that thread in quite some time.

Also a bit surprised seeing the MC at two, must be many FoMoCo owners posting in that thread. Not saying it's not a good bang for the buck filter, just many apps not available in the silicone adbv thread end bypass favored configuration/construction for non Ford vehicles. Which makes those MC filters no better, or efficiency rating and cost wise not as good as, a Purolator Classic.

And while the comment was made that the list leans toward 'premium' filters at the top, I'd say it leans toward 'bang for the buck' filters at the top. P1's can be had on sale or with AAP codes for < $6, sometimes $3-5 depending on the promo. The next two, many MC's and all Classic
Another thing to keep in mind is that Wix and Napa Gold are the identical filters, just sold at different places. My local Napa store has 40% off oil filters semi annual sales. Because of that Napa Gold have become my filters of choice surpassing P1 in my stash. Fwiw, afaik all Napa filters are on sale this month, not the 40% off though.

As for the Ultra, while it specs out well and has gotten a fair amount of buzz on this board, it is relatively new, has ~$9 price point, rarely if ever goes on sale, and also rarely if ever included in oil and filter monthly auto store promos. To get max value with Ultra, 12-15k over one or two oci's is needed. I have one in my stash but mostly because I got a $6 Ultra oil/ EG air filter rebate that I'm still waiting on 7 weeks later.
49.gif

Thanks for effort compiling the info.

With all due respect and appreciation to KC and his efforts, this listing is meaningless to me, as are most of the other similar ones we see here. I don't need to consult the herd mentality to make my oil, filter and auto parts choices. I am more interested in why people chose a certain filter, but even that is only of moderate interest when you've looked hard at all the available choices for your applications.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I don't need to consult the herd mentality to make my oil, filter and auto parts choices.

I do it for a couple of reasons; one, just to see what opinions are out there, and two, I have nothing else better to do.
grin.gif

But I really respect KCJeep for doing what he did and clearly stating what he did is probably meaningless and absolutely statistically meaningless. He's not pretending as if it's some kind of perfect compilation and research data. It is what it is!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
But I really respect KCJeep for doing what he did and clearly stating what he did is probably meaningless and absolutely statistically meaningless. He's not pretending as if it's some kind of perfect compilation and research data. It is what it is!
grin2.gif

I still say MC should be #1!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I still say MC should be #1!
Agreed, but our opinion is also statistically meaningless.
grin2.gif

I know. I am just another abused statistic.
cry2-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back