BITOG 2012 FAVORITE OIL FILTER'S RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about doing this for a while but just recently decided to go ahead and do it. It was pretty time consuming so I'm not sure I'll do it again, but the results would probably not be much different anyway for a year or two.

Before I started I thought the Pure One would be #1 here, that turned out to be true but I did stumble on a few other surprises. I knew Motorcrafts were highly regarded here but I never dreamed they'd come in #2.

This was collected off the "Post your latest oil change" thread, so this is not probably a mirrored reflection of BITOG as much as an indication of the preferences of those who actually prefer to post on that thread. As an example, from hanging out here on the oil filter forum as much as I do, I'd have expected more people to have been using the Fram Ultra than what was reflected in the oil change thread. Another interesting note, it was surprising how many people that used a Fram orange can had to add an excuse to their post such as "it was free with an OCI special" or something along those lines. I noticed that occur probably close to 10 times, yet I never saw a similar comment for the use of any other filter, even e-cores.

Anyway, here are the results, enjoy! The number to the left is the ranking, the number to the right is the number of filters used on the oil change thread.

1 Pure One 147
2 Motorcraft 119
3 Puro Classic 97
4 Wix 64
5 Mobil 1 48
6 AC Delco 42
7 Napa Gold 41
8 Toyota OEM 32
9 Bosch D+ 31
10 K&N 27
11 Other OEM 26
12 Fram Extra Guard 25
13 Hyundai/KIA OEM 24
14 Mann 24
15 Other Store Brand 23
16 Bosch Premium 20
17 Fram Tough Guard 17
18 Amsoil 13
19 Royal Purple 13
20 Fram Ultra/Extended 12
21 Quaker State 12
22 Mopar 11
23 Baldwin 11
24 MicroGard 10
25 Honda OEM 8
26 Super Tech 8
27 BMW OEM 8
28 Napa ProSelect 7
29 Casite 7
30 Driveworks 5
31 DENSO 5
32 Mahle 5
33 Napa Silver 4
34 Hengst 4
35 Valvoline 4
36 Napa/Wix syn 3
37 STP 3
38 Purolator Synthetic 3
39 Hastings 2
40 Fram High Mileage 2
41 MicroGreen 2
42 Champ 2
43 Pennzoil 2
44 Fleetguard 2
45 Knecht 1

the verdict is in......
You have WAY too much time on ur hands !!
laugh.gif

nice work KC,
I thought NAPA would be higher on the list,I'm surprised all the time about how many ppl use P1's. I guess that means they will raise the price on them soon......

Last edited:
The top 3 filters: Pure One, Motorcraft and Puro Classic are popular here because they are quality filters at reasonable price and can be found at most parts stores.

Thanks for putting this together. Cool to see the results lined up like this.

I wonder if Purolator's results will change next year as a result of the current kerfuffle over the warranty issues.

I know here FRAM = X can of death , but never thought they would be soo down the list.

PurONE doesnt suprise me , best bang for the buck out there.

No surprise that the top 3 are Purolator-branded filters. 3k mile guarantee or not, we know these are quality filters than can extend beyond 3k and can be easily acquired at a very reasonable price.

Nice work, KC and thank you for your time and effort.

Isn't the Fram Ultra/Extended a relatively newcomer on the scene? I'd never paid any attention to any Fram until I saw them at Walmart and then did some research online. Its now my #1 for the the Accord and Altima since I do 10K OCI's.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Isn't the Fram Ultra/Extended a relatively newcomer on the scene? I'd never paid any attention to any Fram until I saw them at Walmart and then did some research online. Its now my #1 for the the Accord and Altima since I do 10K OCI's.

They have been around for a while but you're right, they didn't really catch on here at BITOG until more recently. It was apparent in the OCI thread as well, there were far more Fram Ultra's used in the last few months than earlier in the year, so you could see them picking up steam.

They would be one good example of something that likely would change if there were a similar thread for 2013 results.

Originally Posted By: tc1446

+1...the Ultra is a newcomer and IMO...thats the reason its down on the list.

I did the same as the above and researched the Ultra....and now its my filter of choice on my Ford Focus. I had been using PureOne's for the the previous five years. A very good filter, but IMO...not as good as the Ultra because of its two-tier synthetic media and wire mesh backing....its excellent efficiency rating...and it can hold much more crud and thus can go up to 15K. I will be using it for for two OCI's (2 X 7500) with M-1 0w20.

wow, good stuff. hope you used some sort of aggregator/sql or pivot tool to figure this out rather than hand counting
smile.gif

The top three are the filters i always use. i like the motorcraft in my 300 and the puro's in the kia.

Nice compilation, KCJeep.

I predict that next year's survey will see the Fram XG/Ultra rise (the only Fram I like, IMO they are very good) and Purolators fall due to their poor response to customer inquiries.

Wix may also fall now that they have discarded their design that BITOGers love, and are now as generic as any other brand.

I must remind any reader that my prediction isn't worth the time it took to read it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
wow, good stuff. hope you used some sort of aggregator/sql or pivot tool to figure this out rather than hand counting
smile.gif

Well the actual counting off the thread was done by hand, but the layout was done in Excel, or I would still be working on it ha ha.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
KevGuy is gonna commit hara-kiri when he sees those results.

crackmeup2.gif

He can rest easy, while not popular on BITOG I doubt these results would be typical of the population at large, FRAM holds a large market share. I also suspect more BITOG'ers are using orange cans than care to admit it, as many who did felt the need to justify their use, and many posts did not mention the filter used at all.

Thanks for the appreciation all, I hoped you'd get a kick out of it. I got to thinking and realized it wouldn't be near as much of a bear to do for 2013, if I chip away at it instead of having a whole year to do at once it wouldn't be too bad. And now I've got a template already done so less time there as well.

Thanks for the info.

The list is top heavy with premium filters as a generalization.

Just confirms what we see in other info on this site, but that's not surprising either. This website is (mostly) adorned by aficionados of all things lube related. We are, generally, zealots about this stuff. It is no more a shock to see high-end filters top this list, then it is to see how many synthetic/short OCI UOAs are posted. Most folks here over-buy for their application, because of their emotional attachment to the topic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
This was collected off the "Post your latest oil change" thread, so this is not probably a mirrored reflection of BITOG as much as an indication of the preferences of those who actually prefer to post on that thread.

This for the win!

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Nice compilation, KCJeep.

I predict that next year's survey will see the Fram XG/Ultra rise (the only Fram I like, IMO they are very good) and Purolators fall due to their poor response to customer inquiries.

Wix may also fall now that they have discarded their design that BITOGers love, and are now as generic as any other brand.

I must remind any reader that my prediction isn't worth the time it took to read it.
wink.gif

WILL still not use Fram, too many others out there...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back