Bike engines in cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,i am involved in sprints and speed hill climbing in the uk.We run cars such as Jedi,OMS and Force all with bike engines ranging from 250bhp hayabusas to almost stock blackbirds and blades.
The big thing in bike engined cars is copeing with oil surge if you are not running a dry sump setup and also the gear box/clutch is having to cope with more weight than it would originally and the wet clutch is really stressed what with wide sticky slick tyres and no cush drive.

For that reason it makes sense to run a bike specific oil because of the JASO MA spec to cope with the wet clutch and also many of the bike specific oils have a EP content to protect dog rings and gears operating outside the role they are designed for.---I never ceased to be amazed by the abuse modern bike units can stick.
Popular brands here are Shell advance ultra 10/40,Castrol power 1 10/40 and Silkolene 10/50 and Mobil 1 15/50.Just to my mind it makes sense to use a synthetic bike specific oil and change it every few events.Remember the likes of Shell etc put in a lot of r&d into these products,best wishes gus

In the JTH (jabba the hut) (just a joke) bike engined race cars (so popular over here) synthetics are the way to go.

Originally Posted By: gusgeds
For that reason it makes sense to run a bike specific oil because of the JASO MA spec to cope with the wet clutch and also many of the bike specific oils have a EP content to protect dog rings and gears operating outside the role they are designed for.

It sounds like that's more of a statement than a question.

Popular brands here are Shell advance ultra 10/40,Castrol power 1 10/40 and Silkolene 10/50 and Mobil 1 15/50.

Is Mobil 1 15/50 a motorcycle specific oil? I thought it was a universal oil.

Just to my mind it makes sense to use a synthetic bike specific oil and change it every few events.

Do you or others run UOAs on the oil after these events to see what's happening to the oil? It sounds like what you're doing falls into the "extreme" end of the scale and I'm curious if the UOA would show this.

Hi tucsondon,about my post sounding like a statement,sorry i was trying to get across that a bike specific synthetic is in my opinion the way to go rather than try HDEO products which may do the job but are not bike specific.

The mobil 1 15/50 i mean is mobil 1 racing 4T which is a bike specific oil sold in Europe.

Yes we do run in the extreme end of the scale but i dont know anyone who has run uoa,s.gusgeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back