Delo 400 MGX vs Gold Ultra

Hi All,

I've been using Australian Delo 400 15W 40 for 20 years in absolutely everything on our farm, from little Honda motors up to the ATV's, trail bikes, car and tractor. Never an issue, all run very well.

Now they've gone and changed it, and it seems my choices are the 2 in the title. Guy at the Caltex depo reckons Gold Ultra is the same old Delo 400, but I'm not sure he was correct.

I won't get into whether Delo is suitable, I've proven that to myself over 20 years. Just need to know which of these 2 is more suitable for gears and wet clutches in particular.

Thank you,

These products are differentiated by fuel type and not by gear or wet clutch performance. Delo 400 MGX is for CNG/LNG/LPG vehicles while Gold Ultra is for mixed fleet use.
Thank you.

So basically either will do, and the MGX is just a bit more emissions compliant and higher spec?

Should I just be using Gold Ultra in my old Kubota tractor and other gear?

No!

MGX is not needed since you have a mixed fleet and no natural gas vehicles (I'm assuming). Gold Ultra seems to fit your oil lifestyle better.

Not saying you're wrong, but if you look at the link I posted above the MGX actually says "heavy duty diesel oil". Are we talking about the same MGX?

Either way, I agree the Gold Ultra does seem to be more suited for my equipment, so I'll go that way in the future.

Thanks again

Hi All,
I won't get into whether Delo is suitable, I've proven that to myself over 20 years. Just need to know which of these 2 is more suitable for gears and wet clutches in particular.

Thank you,

Good news Captain... mileage is chief factor that determines when your clutch is about to slip than any one oil use... so it will not matter which one you decide to use... both will meet and exceed your clutch life...

Good news Captain... mileage is chief factor that determines when your clutch is about to slip than any one oil use... so it will not matter which one you decide to use... both will meet and exceed your clutch life...

The only thing that put a seed of doubt in the back of my mind was that I was told that these oils aren't rated for gears or something like that. It's always motorbike shops that say things like that, but again I've had no problem and plenty of miles.

The only thing that put a seed of doubt in the back of my mind was that I was told that these oils aren't rated for gears or something like that. It's always motorbike shops that say things like that, but again I've had no problem and plenty of miles.

Blackstone labs has real world data to help with your doubt and also affirm why you have had no viscosity problems...

The Importance of Viscosity?
Quote Blackstone Labs

The viscosity, or thickness of the oil, is not nearly as important
as many people think. Oil retains its nature no matter what thickness
it is.Think about this: automakers are continually recommending
lighter multi-grade oil in new engines. The reason is increased
efficiency. It takes power to pump oil through an engine, and the
lighter the oil, the less power required to pump it. The oil’s ability
to act like a solid and protect parts is not related to its thickness.
If that doesn’t sound quite right, consider this: The gears in a
heavy duty Allison automatic transmission are doing the same work as
the same machine equipped with an Eaton manual transmission. Due to
the hydraulics of the automatic, it runs on a 10W automatic
transmission oil.But the manual transmission uses a very thick
(sometimes up to 90W)gear lube oil. The gears of both types of
transmissions will have a similar life span. We don’t find any
significant differences in wear, regardless of oil thickness.

Back