Bicyclists run over by teen rolling coal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their obtuseness is valid to a point, but too far in regard that they appear to be questioning whether he ran over bicyclists.

Also, for reference, is rolling coal illegal in all states now?

Their obtuseness is valid to a point, but too far in regard that they appear to be questioning whether he ran over bicyclists.

Also, for reference, is rolling coal illegal in all states now?
I'd think most if not all states have laws against gross polluters. If your car burned so much oil that it smoked, even decades ago that could get you a ticket in many jurisdictions, and that's not rolling coal.

My suspicion is that he was rolling coal while doing a burnout on acceleration, and that's how he lost control and hit the cyclists.

I'd think most if not all states have laws against gross polluters. If your car burned so much oil that it smoked, even decades ago that could get you a ticket in many jurisdictions, and that's not rolling coal.

My suspicion is that he was rolling coal while doing a burnout on acceleration, and that's how he lost control and hit the cyclists.
Makes sense, but from what i understand, many vehicles over X weight are not included under many of the clear air acts and 3/4 ton trucks seem to fall under this category, so whilst not legal to run without the emissions devices, nothing is checked thereafter, which seems to be a large reason why they do it. Then of course you have areas out of town that aren't included in being checked anyway.

To my knowledge, these trucks don't typically have the ability to do a rolling burnout all things considered, and to roll coal only requires acceleration loading so the injectors push through more fuel than currently burnable, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen in this case, 16 year olds are notoriously short sighted in their actions.

What does rolling coal have to do with the kid running over the bike riders? Again I ask.
This is really rather simple. If you are showing off in a car or on a bike and commiting an offense,(assau;t) and something goes wrong, regardless of intent, it gets added on. shout fire in a crowded theatre, and someone has a heat attack, you get charged with manslaughter. Will it stick, depends.

Rod

^ Bikes are fun to ride recreationally or exercise at your discretion. Forced to use them to commute on all roads, all traffic, in all states of cold and rain/snow/ice, not so much. Only a masochist does that.
I know quite a few people in Portland who do that daily. And a few bike tourists as well.

A masochist drives a Prius or rides the bus.

According to the law firm suing on the behalf of the injured riders.

I‘m not defending the teen driver, but since this comes from the attorney seeking damages, it’s not really an unbiased opinion.
Not really.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...river-who-rolled-coal-could-face-16603437.php

The criminal charges were the result of the District Attorney's office presenting the case to a Grand Jury and the Grand Jury agreeing that there is probable cause to issue an indictment for 6 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Makes sense, but from what i understand, many vehicles over X weight are not included under many of the clear air acts and 3/4 ton trucks seem to fall under this category, so whilst not legal to run without the emissions devices, nothing is checked thereafter, which seems to be a large reason why they do it. Then of course you have areas out of town that aren't included in being checked anyway.

To my knowledge, these trucks don't typically have the ability to do a rolling burnout all things considered, and to roll coal only requires acceleration loading so the injectors push through more fuel than currently burnable, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen in this case, 16 year olds are notoriously short sighted in their actions.
The guys who want to burn coal are often running high-performance chips and possibly other mods. From the factory these trucks are normally not able to smoke much. With the chip, if the bed is unloaded, the pickup can easily spin the rear wheels from standstill, and the tires will produce their own smoke to accompany the diesel exhaust smoke. Also remember diesels have a lot of low-speed torque.

The performance mods some of these guys make just to show off are crazy sometimes. They put the "Fast and Furious" ricers to shame.

Also, these guys avoid burning coal around cops. That's why they seldom get caught.

Rolling coal is typically a rolling affair..... ;)
I know their usually tuned, but even a stock F350 from the last few years pulls nearly 1000ftlbs from low revs, it's nuts. Even so, this kids actions prompts a bunch of questions we don't know the answer to.

Was he even doing the standard rolling coal of just flooring it when beside them? Did he brake boost and screw up and crash into them? a bunch more questions and possibilities exist, we just don't know until something else progresses with the case.

Rolling coal and running over the bike riders are two different things . Does Rolling coal [stupid] cause the driver to run over bikes? Do all coal rollers run over bike riders? I love how the media reports with an agenda. For example pay attention to how news readers report gun crimes .

Because in order to do maximize the effect, he got recklessly close to the riding pack, and ended up running them over.

I've been in a group where one person had a raw egg thrown at her. Had no idea why as we were all just on the sidewalk just minding our own business. But if they had gotten even closer with the car and jumped the curb where one of us were hit, the egg throwing would seem to be relevant I'd think.

I know quite a few people in Portland who do that daily. And a few bike tourists as well.

A masochist drives a Prius or rides the bus.
Never had a desire to own a Prius but I'd take that hands down over living in Portland and riding a bicycle everywhere. Heck I'd rather have a 1980 YUGO if it were that vs a bicycle, unless talking about some ebike that can do 40+MPH and isn't legal to do so, so have to be stealthy.

Because in order to do maximize the effect, he got recklessly close to the riding pack, and ended up running them over.

I've been in a group where one person had a raw egg thrown at her. Had no idea why as we were all just on the sidewalk just minding our own business. But if they had gotten even closer with the car and jumped the curb where one of us were hit, the egg throwing would seem to be relevant I'd think.
that is saying the gun killed the person when it was actually the guy that pulled the trigger,,, No?

that is saying the gun killed the person when it was actually the guy that pulled the trigger,,, No?

I'd say no. That he was rolling coal is absolutely germane to the discussion of why this happened. Now it's not necessarily clear if he just got too close or that he accelerated to get it to put out the soot and lost control, but the end result is he ran them over as a result of trying to spray a group of bicyclists with soot. Rolling coal was not the pickup, but that he was trying to do it.

There were reports that he even backed up so he could spray soot on this group a second time.

Prosecuting a 16 year old as an adult requires a judge to sign off on it. So there's at least one judge this family can't count on.

If you could wave a magic wand and banish every person who has 'rolled coal' from the planet, it would have an absolutely insignificant affect to the environment. You do realize how much pollution is released from developing countries and their coal fired electric plants, right? Nothing we do will come close.

What does rolling coal have to do with the kid running over the bike riders? Again I ask.
In order to "roll coal" you need to give a large throttle application, gentle acceleration won't do it, it's a deliberate act. Additionally, you have to change things on your vehicle to do it, making it even more deliberate.
A normal, cautious, respectful driver (which is what the law expects of all of us) would overtake a group of cyclists at a time and place where it was safe to do so, and in a controlled manner. Part of being a respectful driver would involve not blowing clouds of carcinogenic, foul-smelling, smoke in the vicinity of a group of people.

The fact that the driver who hit these cyclists had to use a large throttle application to overtake indicates either an intent to "roll coal" on them, or a choice of overtaking location or time that was unsafe to the point he had to floor it to get around them "safely".

It's up to the witnesses to tell if this way simply a misjudged passing attempt that ended badly or some idiot trying to show off by harassing other road users who screwed it up in a rather spectacular way that will, no doubt, not help with the feelings of inadequacy he had that caused him to feel the need to modify his truck to roll coal in the first place.

If you could wave a magic wand and banish every person who has 'rolled coal' from the planet, it would have an absolutely insignificant affect to the environment. You do realize how much pollution is released from developing countries and their coal fired electric plants, right? Nothing we do will come close.
In urban environments, ground-level pollution is a legitimate problem and reduces air quality considerably. This is the reason for no idling bylaws. This is also why shipping regulations have, in many/most instances, resulted in the banning of burning bunker C in port, they have to run a cleaner burning fuel so they don't increase local pollution as much.

When Ontario eliminated coal from power generation, this had a direct impact on the number of smog days Canada's most populous region, the GTA, experienced. These high population density pockets trap airborne particulate and other noxious compounds. Many of these plants were directly adjacent to this population centre, so location is relevant. "Smoggies" unnecessarily introducing particulate and other combustion byproducts by intentionally altered diesels in these environments are indeed having a negative impact on local air quality and thus the lives of people that live there. If you pee in the pool, yes, it's eventually going to get mixed in with the rest of the water, but for the immediate period after you void your bladder, the kids in the water around you are going to be the ones exposed to your urine, not little Jimmy at the other end.

This was a strange summer... I've been cycling on the road for 25 years, and up until now only the occasional jerk who swerves too close to us or something. But this summer, someone has rolled coal on us just about every other outing. IDK if that makes someone feel like a man? He can push his right foot down on the pedal? Wow.
Just more mutants driving on the roads ,and have no respect for themselves let alone anyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back