Biceps tendon surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a car accident last June where I was rear ended. They thought I had a rotator cuff tear because my shoulder would pop when washing my hair or putting on my belt. It has been doing it 3-4 times a day. The MRIs showed that I do not have a torn rotator cuff. The doctor NOW says it is biceps injury. He recommended surgery and said I would be wearing a sling for about a month.

I have very limited use of my right arm, so surgery on my left and being in a sling for a month scares the bejesus out of me. I would be completely dependent on someone else for everything for that time frame. The lawyer would have to bring in round the clock health care because I have no family in this area. I'm also in school and looking for a job because I will be laid off in 3 weeks.

I checked into unemployment as LT4Vette suggested, their is not a great deal of money for me to draw on and it would be 75% of what I'm making and run out in 6 months.

I feel like this doctor is just "guessing" and requested to have my attorney set up another conciliation/opinion.

How successful are these surgeries? Can I have it performed at a facility of my choice? I would like to have it done in the Round Rock area if possible.
Dusty

Mod: requesting post be moved to the general topic forum. Sorry I thought that was where I was posting
Dusty

Dude ok you are already getting the shaft. You need to know your options and bennefits. They are different than from up here but pretty much the same idea. You are insured from your car or at least could be depending on your coverage. You need to go down there and see what you are intitled to. For instance if they will pay for certain things or whatever. Then you need to either find a better doctor and get whats wrong with you in writing for any insurance purposes or risk not having a case or proof for your incoming endevor. When the doc writes what is wrong with you make sure he puts something to the extent of there could be more underlying injuries so this is for the rest of your life which is not a lie. If he wont put that at least not limited to will do fine.

Now for money if you get the shaft from someone else you are entitled to living the life you had before. You might have to get on disability and will obviously get a lawyer to sue either the insurance company or settle or whatever or you will have to take the other driver to court for the damages you suffered cause he caused them. There are rules in yours and my country and they are there to protect us. Dont be affraid of getting what you are entitled to. Everyone else does it and its perfectly legal.

Dont get Shafted anymore and stand up for yourself you dont deserve to be like this and you didnt choose it so someone has to pay and thats life. They made their bed and now they have to sleep in it. You should not have to sleep in someone elses dirty bed.

I cant really tell u what to do cause of our geographical differences but you need to read and call and be clear and not be rude but not back down and allow you to get all the compensation you deserve. Up here the ICBC which is the insurance corp for all of bc they send you a major lowball settlement offer and you decline it and your lawyer gets you double. You need to do a bunch of math and figure out what you made before and what you will need to be as before but with the lack of your arms pretty much. Keep us informed if you want. There must be a couple people on this site that have had a similar situation or know whats up. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks,
Yes, my lawyer it going to put me in touch with a second doctor.

Recap: I was rear ended by a lady who was driving a company truck and has a suspended drivers license for 7 years. She was also using a cell phone at the time of the accident.My lawyer submitted an "open policy demand" for the suit..

Clearfication: My layoff is my store is closing, it's not accident related yet but the popping is getting more frequent and pronounced.. BUT with the surgery I will be unable to look for work and even if I do find work it would be difficult to start in a sling/recovering.

I'm going to let my attorney know that the surgery will impact my work search. I will see what he says. If he says take the time off, it will be good for the recovery and the time off of work/job hunting will be paid, I will do it. I'm guessing 2- 2.5 months from surgery to employment because I have being job searching for over a month now and have not had any luck so far. The job market is stiff here.
Dusty

Last edited:
sounds like you got it all going you are just in the waiting period now. I hear of alot of people driving without a license down there. You get busted here and its game over. I hope she gets what she deserves. You should not have to pay for someone else's stupidity. What is your field of expertise if you dont mind me asking. Or are you just trying to find anything, also if you dont mind me asking. With some arm injuries you are pretty much not going to be able to do the easy money makers. Like hard labour. can you sell cars? they go through salesman like no other up here. I was seeing some 10,000$ a month guys up here and like 5,000$ a month minimum. These new cars sell theirselves all you have to do is get them in the car. Hey you could use the sling for sympathy I think you could milk it for at least 6 months before people start to wonder.

I worked in retail for seven years now. I've been attending college since I graduated HS in 2005 while working full time. I got my Associates at the community college while taking 12 hours of classes and I worked 2 jobs and 54 hours a week. I ended up leaving the Waco area to pursue my DPT. I would take any job while finishing school.
I'm not thrilled with anyone I have met down here, The school that I'm attending has almost caused me my scholarship they are careless to say the least. Lost money/ misplaced money. I went to the financial aid director who "recovered" $894 last semester, now he has given me the finger. I found $2300 in mistakes over a years time and reported it and was told I'm SOL. I have also contacted the news stations.

I've been here for 2.5 years and can honestly say that people south of Round Rock leave a great deal to be desired.
I just want to lead a semi normal life and not have to call people out for ripping me off/lying to me.

The lady who hit me was released from the accident.. This place is a complete joke. I would be in prison if that was me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86

How successful are these surgeries? Can I have it performed at a facility of my choice?
Dusty

As a general rule, I don't like any unnecessary surgery. There are risks, and most people are incredibly ill informed of the risks. They will gladly go under the knife, for all sorts of minor issues.

Anesthesia is safe, with a tiny chance of death. Something like 1 in 300,000 people die from anesthesia related issues. However, that does not mean that you will come out of it will all of your brain cells intact. There is a casual link between isoflurane, hypercarbia and brain cell death in humans. That means, we know it happens in people, but it's not yet proven. Animal testing certainly shows widespread brain cell death. We are not going to cut people apart after surgery to determine the facts.

If at all possible, the highest quality physical therapy is my preferred option. I've had fantastic results after serious injuries. But, once again, there are huge differences between just showing up for a session and "really" making an effort to improve. That includes finding the best, most up to date people and programs.

I worked in healthcare and lots of surgeons were too eager to 'slash for cash'. If you absolutely need it then do it but I would rather put up with the popping and discomfort for the time being. Maybe take that 6 months unemployment and decide what is best for you.

What does your wife say about this situation ?

I'm not married. I don't even have a girlfriend currently. I've think that their is WAY too much drama with that and I have school and my employment to focus on.
When I finish my education, and get stable I plan on adopting kids that had "challenging" upbringings like myself. Buying land and building a house really.

Last edited:
Last year I met a guy on the golf course.
He was 75, and worked drywall/paintng .
He had torn the bicep off at the lower arm [ulna].
It was attached by drilling a hole through the ulna, and the tendon at the end of the muscle was secured by some sort of 'button'.
After only 9 months, he was golfing and pretty well healed.
So if at that age wonders can occur, you have much to hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back