BG Syncroshift II in 4Runner transfer case?

Ok everyone, getting ready to change the transfer case fluid in my 17 4Runner and im sure you have all heard that toyota specs the LF 75w which 99% of all dealers carry and is like $90 per bottle. There are a few recommendations of people using Ravenol 75w or a lot of guys using 75w90 synth gear oil. My only concern was using a gl5 in the transfer case and by what i know gl5 is not yellow metal safe. So i was talking to my BG rep who gave me a few qts of BG Syncroshift II which is a fully synthetic GL4 75w80. i was just curious to know if anyone else has ever used this fluid with good results as i wanted to get some opinions.

R.jpg

Last edited:
If Toyota says GL4 or GL5 75w then that BG is ok.
If Toyota says LF 75w only, it's different, because LF is GL4+ / GL5.

“I have a concern about using something that doesn’t meet spec. So, I will choose this other oil that doesn’t meet spec.” That about right?

this was also an email from toyota stating you can use 75w90 but my concern was gl5 I found another member posted online

TCOIL.jpg

Last edited:
this was also an email from toyota stating you can use 75w90 but my concern was gl5 I found another member posted online

View attachment 113765
Good to know. Thank you for sharing that. Same year Tundra - same transfer case oil specification.

I've been using a manual transmission 75 - Ravenol makes one, and I actually got a couple of quarts of Titan 75W from JHZR2, which I used for my first transfer case fluid change.

Get the Red Line MT-LV and don't look back. It's been in my 2018 4Runner SR5 for 30K miles and works great.

But it doesn't say it's a gl4 or gl5. I think I'm just overthinking the whole thing
Here’s what I reckon, on the same basic unit: if it’s OK for a manual transmission, it’s OK in this. A 75W synthetic like the Ravenol is a safe bet.

Toyota gives GL specs for the front and rear differential, but not this.

So, anything outside the OEM fluid is a guess. But the MTF is a safe bet.

Ive come to believe this guy knows his Toyota stuff. He too, states that GL5 75W90 is perfectly fine in diffs and TCs. He also specifically addresses GL5 being hard on yellow metals in manual transmissions and emphasizes the need for GL4 in those applications. Anecdotally, when I dumped the FF in my 2012 4runner TC I switched to Supertech synthetic 75w90. I now have over 180k trouble free miles.

G'day (Australian for Hello) all, just joined the forum while searching for an answer to this same question of what other oil for my Toyota TC. Got an early 2014 Toyota LC Prado. I've been asking this question to Toyota Stealerships around the country here and no one has the fluid in stock but they can order it in, you'd be happy to know it is same sort of price as you all are paying over there, so no discount for being closer to Japan (are we?), maybe someone in Guam gets a better price, but anyway! The other thing that they do not know is the GL4 vs GL5 composition of this oil. One parts guy said read the can when you get it. I told him I have seen reasonable amount of images for the product and it does not mention it. What infuriates me more is the fact that most TC's will take roughly 1.5 liters and you will have some oil sitting for next use. Not sure if there is a shelf life for this oil so that can lead to lot of wastage if it cannot be used again. Valvoline website here had a 75W, but speaking to the most disinterested person on the phone they could not tell me when it will be in stock or anything else. Their information says it is GL4, https://www.valvoline.com/en-au/gear-oil-75W/. Anyway happy to be on this forum and be part of the community. Thanks again.

Ive come to believe this guy knows his Toyota stuff. He too, states that GL5 75W90 is perfectly fine in diffs and TCs. He also specifically addresses GL5 being hard on yellow metals in manual transmissions and emphasizes the need for GL4 in those applications. Anecdotally, when I dumped the FF in my 2012 4runner TC I switched to Supertech synthetic 75w90. I now have over 180k trouble free miles.

I've seen few of his videos and he does seem to know what he is talking about! Even wears a Toyota like uniform to give it more authentic look! (y)

Depends on the transfer case, as there are 2 different types.... full time AWD vs parttime 4wd. One would have to know the differences between these two transfer cases and whether one of them, Limited AWD, is using some type of synchronized on demand or electromagnetic clutch system.
The simpler part-time 4wd would more likely be immune to fluid choice.

I wouldn't blindly use ANY 75w without a VOA to compare additive packages. Looks loaded in this link:

Like all my Toyota 4wd transfer cases over the years, I'd use the GL-5 gear oils, unless it was a Limited 4runah AWD, which would get the LF 75w until I get both xfer cases autopsied on the bench for a side by side comparison.

Back