BG 44K application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just received a can of BG 44K (ordered from a website) and the only directions on the can were to add it to the tank during fill up. Now i've searched the web for other instructions, but have only found that the oil and filter should be changed shortly after the BG 44K treatment, and that the initial tank of gas should be consumed in a couple days (i.e. drive the car around for a few hundred miles in the next day or so).

To anyone who has successfully (or not) used the BG 44K: is there any truth to these methods and is there anything else i should know about using BG 44K? Thanks.

New fuel filter(before) is a must. There's nothing like cleaning out a used dirty fuel filter.

Use a funnel if you have a CAN of bg44k. It is expensive and spilling could cause paint issues.
I wish that bottles were available. Around here, all I can get is the spillable can from the new car dealers.

Some additives evaporate quickly. I don't have $30 to waste to see how long a bottle of BG44K will evaporate. So, plan for some cruising to burn out the tank quickly.

I've been using it for the past 4yrs with no special procedures. My mechanic first told me about it, & the two local Napa stores both carry it. Nobody's had any special instructions to give me other than it's only recommended every 20k miles. unDummy's suggestion of a funnel is good, especially if your gas fill is recessed. I always dump it in when I fill the tank & just drive normally. Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 days to empty the tank, sometimes it takes maybe 2 to 3 weeks. The only "special" thing I do is try to use as much of the tank as possible, to get all the "full strength" 44K thru the system.

Pete, some of the Saab & VW dealers in my area carry it, but I've had better luck finding it at indy garages than at dealers. BG's website might lead you someplace local, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back