BfGoodrich traction t/a

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
I just put a set of BFG T/A 215/55R16 93H on my Nissan Maxima...not all that impressed...NOISY!

what did you have on there before? are you running the same tire pressures old versus new?

The oem Toyo tires were good. Then a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2...really, really bad tires. After that, I had some Continental Contitouring CH95, which were pretty good tires actually. I bought the BFG T/A's on the strength of the Tire Rack surveys, but the aggressive tread design must generate more tread noise than I thought they would. Otherwise a good tire so far. Just noisier than the Continentals. PSI 33 front/ 30 back per Nissan specs.

ive had traction t/a's for 23k.. been thru ice.. snow.. downpours.. everything. theyre ok in snow.. terrible in ice (as expected with large tread blocks though..)not very good in heavy rain.. so i think theyre ok tires, but nothing special. previous tires firestone fr690's.. or 680's.. i forget.

oh yea, they are very, very noisy at first. but they'll get better.

I'd have to say the traction ta's are leaps and bounds ahead of the MXV4's. The MXV4's have terrible performance characteristics in comparison. The only advantage the Michellins seem to have is improved fuel economy. My stepdad's Passat had Energy MXV4's on it stock, the Traction TA's easily handle better under all conditions(snow especially).

--Matt

Well, I just got a set of Traction TA's installed on my golf yesterday after a tragic loss of 2 tires due to a shard of metal in the street. And I'm still going with they're better than MXV4's and leaps and bounds ahead of Tiger Paw Touring HR's.

AA traction rating with a compound that go's miles is hard to beat.

--Matt

Two weeks ago we purchased a set of Traction T/A tires in the stock size with a T speed rating for my wife's 2000 GTP. We decided to go with this tire based on the reviews on The Tire Rack, and from the dealer we bought the tires from. We had the stock Eagle LS tires, which were EXTREMELY noisy but rode pretty decent I thought. I was aiming for a long-lasting tire with a smooth and quiet ride and with a decent price also. I finally narrowed the choices down to the T/A and Yokohoma Avid's. As I said, the local dealer said the Traction T/A's were better all around.

Well, I've only driven the car twice since we've gotten the tires. The ride quality is absolutely terrible!! I can feel every **** bump in the road, and I haven't even driven on any really rough roads yet! The tire noise is much better, but the tires aren't exactly quiet either! Anything would've been better than the old tires though. I'm running the exact same amount of tire pressure as with the stock Eagle LS tires as well. It's so bad I can't even stand to ride in the car anymore. I don't know what the folks on The Tire Rack were smoking myself. My wife also says the ride and noise are better, but I noticed it was worse right off the bat! We had a nice argument over it also. I'm afraid the car will absolutely fall apart.

Anyway, was anybody else less than overhwelmed by these tires? I'm done with Goodrich. I have KDWS T/A's on my Formula, and it's the same way with them. They are noisy as **** and ride rougher than the stock Goodyear GSC's they replaced.

Do these tires get better with time? I hope so.

I had Yoko Avid 235/55s on my Regal GS and was very pleased with them, especially for the price. When it was time to change them out, I went with Traction TAs. I sized up and went with 235/60s. The traction with these is very good (AA rating), but I don't think they are quieter then the Avids. Right now, I do feel every pot hole out there, but everything is so stinking cold here in Michigan too. I thought the tires quieted down though after a few thousand miles, so give it time on your wifes GTP.

Good deal. I noticed this was a fairly common complaint on The Tire Rack as well. I haven't really been able to get a true gas mileage reading since we've had the tires.

Eagle LS tires have a relatively softer sidewall contruction compared to the Traction T/A.

Softer sidewalls mean a more plush 'buick' ride, but also less road input/feel. Turn in response and crispness and handling can be sacrificed when going for softer sidewalls, which is why some say that handling actually increases when going with a tire with stiffer sidewalls.

As per ChrisW.
It's a apples and oranges comparison.
Quote from tirerack....
Eagle LS,a standard touring tire,
"heavy design emphasis on a smooth, quiet, disturbance-free ride."

The Goodrich Traction T/A, H rating, is made by Michelin. On My 2005 Corolla, the tire is fabulous, the best tire I have ever used on a whole slew of Civics and Corollas. It is a firm tire, has the tracking prowess of a jungle cat, rides quietly and holds the road bigtime. I really love this tire and highly, highly recommend it. I did a ton of study before buying these tires and I assure you, I iz a happy man over that purchase.

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
Did your gas mileage go down as well with these tires?

I always ran an ultra performance dry tire with seperate winter tires. And many times ran soft compound rubber as well. It took some doing to even consider an all season tire. That is one effect of age and slower cars but thats another story.
It appears my auto trans Focus went from 32MPG to 30 MPG when I changed over from the OEM Goodyear Integrity's. The OEM's though were a disaster in every other catagory - wet/dry cornering braking etc.
Everything is a compromise. The Traction T/A's have become my all season tire of choice for all of the family sedans because of the overall combination of dry/wet/snow performance.
The noise is a bit more than a mediocre all season tire but much less than most low profile high performance tires.

I emailed the folks at Consumers Reports about the MPG change since they now include rolling resistance measurements when they test tires. I was told their data indicated a 2-3 MPG change is indeed possible between high and low rolling resistance tires. Looking at the ratings however, it appaears that in general terms, low rolling resistance equates to a very low performance tire in all of the other catagories.

you takes your pick.........

The BFG Traction T/A, H rated, is the best tire I have ever used. I put them on my new Corolla. They are firm, tight, solid, hold the road great and mileage appears like it will be very good. I studied extensively prior to the purchase. Most tires have a few raps against them. The H rated tires are a bit firm and unyielding at first, but the sense of security is simply outstanding. You can feel the front tires grab the road so well. They are certainly not gumballs, who would accept the poor mileage. And, the Falken ZX 512's are supposed to be less than stellar for wear, and some have said the middles wear before the sides, noticeably so. However, the BFG's, H rated, are the best tires I have ever had. I've driven a ton of miles in a long over the road career, had all the "famous" tires, but this baby is the cat's meow. I'd try others, but why deviate from the winner? And, some tire shops are not so knowledgeable as they might say they are. You can't have it all in any tire, period. I've had some cheapo Bridgestone tires that got 95k miles! They were hard as nails. A smart buyer sizes up his driving carefully and then goes to the websites and touches base with all his peers.

Mike

Just plus size my car with a set of 225/55R/16, V rated TAs.
Compared to my winter,Goodyear UG GW3s..
First impression , soft cushy ride and mostly noise free...I feel like I'm driving on big padded cat paws ! Only sometimes on some rough texture asphalt do I get some tire droning.

I've had these tires for two months now and have about 1,000 miles on them. I still hate them. I've lowered the air pressure, and the ride is still terrible. They aren't exactly quiet either. Their traction is the rain is overrated also.

One of the biggest auto-related mistakes I've ever made...

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
I've had these tires for two months now and have about 1,000 miles on them. I still hate them. I've lowered the air pressure, and the ride is still terrible. They aren't exactly quiet either. Their traction is the rain is overrated also.

One of the biggest auto-related mistakes I've ever made...

perhaps you should have gotten the H reated tires instead of the T rated; the T rated probably have a harder tread compound to provide for the longer utqg tread wear rating.

what kind of car is this for and what is the size of the tire and whats the milage on the suspesion?

no tire is going to stick in the rain the same as it does when the road is dry.

its sad to see you've had a terrible experience with these tires, i think they are terrific tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back