BFG Advantage T/A?

Inn the market for an aggressive highway tire or mild AT tire for the wife’s F150 before winter (the primacy XC tires are down to 4/32). Primarily interested in the ubiquitous Defender LTX M/S but looking at this BFG has me wonder. 65k tread wear and 3PMS for winter…. Anybody have experience with them? How did they do?

I'm not going back to BFG Advantage again.

Mine has cracks that developed within the tread blocks that I'm not seeing on other tires (that were lower in cost) at a similar age. In fact I will be getting a new set of tires later this year even though the BFG has plenty of remaing tread left

@OVERKILL seems to like his conti Highway tires.

if you like Discount tire, discount tire direct has $110 off conti AT tires, 10% military "friends and family" discount, manufacturer 100 mir, $30-$50 CC mir today and tomorrow

We have the Advantage Sport TA LT’s on our Grand Caravan. They’ve been great, but they’re still new (got late last year) so I can’t comment on longevity, probably going to get the same tires for my Ram.

If you are talking about the Advantage T/A Sport, I have had them on a 2016 Jeep Cherokee for the last 3 years. They've been OK, but not great. It's an AWD, so that chews up tires a little faster than normal probably. They're very close to the wear-bars with about 35K on them. I'll be replacing probably here at 40-45K. They've been fairly stable and quiet. Mine are not 3 peak rated however. I would think that would be a softer compound that would wear even faster. They're not good enough to make me want to buy more. I'll try something different on the next set.

My 2020 Tundra came stock with Defender LTX A/T's (not M/S's). They ride nice and have been a decent compromise for mostly on-road and some light off-road use (dirt and rocky roads, pastures, etc while hunting/fishing). I do probably 65% highway, 35% dirt roads, pasture, etc. However, they're are at 20k and I can tell that I'll probably only get 45k out of them. They have a good ride and are quiet. Don't know if that is a good comparison for the M/S's though.

Neither of these vehicles are driven hard and I keep the tires well maintained with proper inflation and rotations. Maybe I expect too much from my tires, but I'd sure like to see them get closer to their alleged mileage claims. The last truck tires I had that held up to that was Kuhmo Crugen HT51, but two of them were out of round when I had them first installed. They put new ones on before I hit 1000 miles and didn't have another problem with them. They were 3 peak rated.

Last edited:
We have the Advantage T/A Sport on our CRV. Weve liked them. They do seem a little traction-oriented in that they really do hold the road, and might be a little softer in formulation - the trade off being less treadlife, but I prefer that anyway. There is a slight amount of tread growl, but it’s only present at certain times and doesn’t stand out. Rain traction is better than the Bridgestone LE2 on their previously. They also have very generous water evacuation passages, approaching that of some of the milder all-terrain tires for light trucks.

BUT I’ll say this. I just put new tires on our f150 and am thrilled with my choice. I had continental contitrack ATs on there before…. Extremely quiet, best wet traction on a truck I’ve owned, and the wet traction didn’t disappear in the 20,000 miles I had them. I replaced them early because I came in to a cheap set of Ford oem wheels I liked and refinished them and installed. I almost went with another set of the continentals but decided to try out the Yokohama GO15s, and for me it was a good move. The Yokohamas fixed a sideways pull which was present with the conti’s, and I figured was a poor alignment (which I’d paid for previously). Installed the GO15 and was impressed with the accuracy in steering. I received a slight increase in mpg. The yoko’s are a touch noisier than the continentals, but it’s unobtrusive white noise. It took a few days to wear the wax off in the rain but since then they have seemed to be a very slight touch behind the continentals in wet braking.

Handling wise, they hold in corners with less air pressure than the conti’s did, which also means they are less harsh over train tracks and the like. I would probably choose either of these over the BFG, but I also considered the bfgs both times when buying the continental and the yoko. I’m also pretty sure the BFG and the yoko carry the winter snow rating, while the conti does not.

good luck!
m

Back