Better MPG with thicker oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
With modern engines that have low tension rings and thin oils, everything is good to get great CAFE results for the first 50,000 miles or so required by the EPA.

Ring seal is an issue for power, and therefore economy.

Maybe the "High Mileage" oil marketing hype is not so bad afterall, if they just didnt charge such a premium for it. I will continue to use 15W-40 HDEO as my "High MIleage" oil.

Previous tank: 37.4MPG, last tank, 39.7MPG. That's with stop & go driving and the same 87 octane gas.
fruit.gif

I couldn't get above 38MPG last year no matter what I tried...even driving at a constant rate without the A/C on.

I'd like to give thinner oils a try to see if MPG goes up from here, but I really doubt it. This PZ HM is proving to be hard to beat!

fruit.gif

Thanks for the dance, Johnny.
grin.gif

I changed the HM 10w-40 today for a 3qt PZ 5w-20 (dated 8/31/04) and 1qt of the remaining HM 10w-40. We'll see if MPG changes any. Given that bottling date, is that 5w-20 SM or SL formuma?

Also, I forgot to mention, the tiny valve cover gasket leak on the R/R of the valve cover is completely gone! Well worth $2.00 more per jug compared to conventional oil for this product. Can you tell I'm a PZ HM fan?
smile.gif

fruit.gif
fruit.gif

Last tankful showed 37.2MPG with 87 octane Kroger gas with the recommended doseage of Fuel Power with some A/C and city driving mixed in. That's with 75% Castrol Syntec 5w-50 SM and 25% Castrol Syntec 10w-40 SM in the crankcase.

Before using FP (and finding BITOG), 34-35MPG was considered excellent by my calculations for this car. Now 37-40MPG is considered excellent. The bar has been raised.

You know, thanks to BITOG, the car has never run better nor has it ever achieved such great MPG!!!

cheers.gif

Alright TNS, plenty of A/C in the hot Sacramento weather, 90% city driving with trips 5 miles or less, and fresh Chevron 5w-30/Havoline 5w-30 mixes on Arco 87 with NO ADDITIVES yielded a 28.9MPG!

Michael

MW, 29MPG with mostly city driving is amazing for a Saturn!!! Mostly city, usually 25-26MPG was "good" in my book, your MPG is excellent! Keep up the good work!

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back