Best way to remove odors from you car:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Since I just had my pup throw up in my back seat, I had to use a old trick a detailer taught me a while ago and I thought I would pass it on to you all!

If you have leather seats, it's fairly easy. A simple cleaning will do.

My pup was able to miss the seat and throw up on the carpet however. So, after "cleaning" up the mess with paper towels, I still had the odor in my car.

Here is the very effective product to use:

Hydrogen Peroxide.

Test a small area to make sure it will not affect the color. (I never have had it happen)

Pour it onto the spot and let it sit for a few min before sopping it up. The hydrogen peroxide is a mild oxidizer and it will lift away and kill organic compounds (i.e. odor)

It works great when sprayed on the carpets and headliner to really freshen up the whole car. (smokers cars can be fixed with ease!)

Then, to keep your car odor free, stop masking the odors with scent trees and absorb them the fridge and freezer box arm and hammer baking soda.

Two boxes (one under each seat) will keep your car 100% odor free.

I also throw one in my trunk.

So, for $3 ($1 for a bottle of peroxide and $2 for two boxes of baking soda (get the fridge packs)) you can have your car's odors gone. Not covered up. But gone!

I hope this helps ya dealing with those pesky odors!

Also, I have used a shop vac with great success too. Apply a lot of water to the soiled area, I use a mix of Simple Green and water, then shop vac it up. Sometimes I repeat this 2 or 3 times until the stain is totally gone. The shop vac removes most of the water and then the area drys on its own quickly.

Careful with the peroxide and colored fabric. This can cause dyes to fade and change the color of carpeting. Test it on a small out of the way patch first!

Thanks for the tip. I forget about using hydrogen peroxide on vehicle interiors.
"Oxy" laundry products work the same way hydrogen peroxide does. They are sodium percarbonate which creates hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate when mixed with water.

Good idea!
I have been doing the trick my Grandfather did. He used to cut a bar of soap into quarters and throw a piece under each seat and one in the trunk.

It does a good job, but like you said, it covers up smells. Never could get the cigarette smell totally out of my Grandmother's car.

For smells, I leave a few pouches of volcanic rock in my car. They seem to absorb moisture and odours quite nicely, without changing the smell of the car. Im not a fan of strong smells, I just like the clean car smell, and volcanic rock has no smell. Seems to work fine, and you can replace the pouches every 6 months or a year. I get them for a buck each at the dollar store.

On top of oxy-clean suggestions for fabric, I'd suggest spraying some Febreze with Anti-microbial properties(hard to find somewhat, but it has the orange cap FWIW)...just be sure to leave your windows down after use to let the car air out. I sprayed some of my last bottle into my air vent system because of strong odors from the ventilation, and now it smells much better. I figure it attacked mildew or something along those lines in the air ducts somewhere. No outside air filter on this 92 Civic.

Good tip.

Actually, I got one of those "stupid" Bell 12-volt Air Freshener Ionizers......didn't think it would work, but figured eh, what will it hurt :p So....I keep it plugged in.....my car never stinks.....and I tote around smokers, and dirty people every so often :p

I always throught the whole "Ionic Breeze" was rubbish, but nah, this seems to use the same concept.....it splits the atoms or molecules in the air and breaks apart the odors or something crazy....lol. Or so they want us to believe....but my car never "stinks" - it really doesn't smell like "anything"....but I partly attribute it to that little Ionic Air Freshener Dongle...There's no filter or anything to change, it does put off a little "glow" when its plugged in, and that's it....doesn't make any noise......only way you know it's on is the blue dim light it emits.....

The one I have looks like this one http://www.amazon.com/Bell-89107-E-Air-Purifying-Ionizor/dp/B00184BNVM

And I think I paid about that at Walmart back about 3 years ago...only mine is black (first car was black hehe)

I've also heard about people using a box of dryer sheets
wink.gif
Just keep the box open in the car......if/when (likely never...lol) loose scent, move them to the laundry room for use as a decling-agent :p

Last edited:
That is a simple ionizer.

It creates ozone, O3, which releases one atom of oxygen to oxidize the odor and leaves you with oxygen (O2).

The perfect deodorizer. But toxic in large amounts.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
That is a simple ionizer.

It creates ozone, O3, which releases one atom of oxygen to oxidize the odor and leaves you with oxygen (O2).

The perfect deodorizer. But toxic in large amounts.

Yup, and worth every penny. They work great. I have several Ozone machines in my house (with kids) and they work. Just need to be smart. Nevermind my show dogs (pits and mastifs).

Work great when I detail cars.

I definitely would NOT recommend continuous use, especially with children!

You may want to read up on Ozone. As I said above it is toxic in large amounts and quite irritating to your respiratory tract.

A neat trick I've used for smoke odors is to put a bunch of coffee (i.e. the unused grounds, whatever that's called - coffee, I guess) in a cup, and leave it in the car. We used to do that with the cabs. The coffee has a decent smell itself, and seems to absorb some of the stink.

OZIUM!!! You can buy it at auto parts stores, but I find a bigger spray can at walmart for about 6 bucks. Works better than anything I have ever used, in the house or in the car. If the smells are coming from inside the carpet or upholstery you might have to shampoo them, but Ozium was able to get rid of cigarette smell in my car when nothing else would work.

You can also fill a saucer with lemon scent ammonia ,set it in the car with the windows rolled up and let it go a day or two.I guess if you put it on a cloth in a small pan or cup it would do the same thing but you would be able to drive the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back