Best way to deal with roof antenna leftovers

My new to me SSV 2009 Expedition has 3 antenna bases on the roof with a little bit of rust around them.
I'm trying to prevent further damage and moisture intrusion. I can't think of a personal need for antennas.
The simplest thing I can think of is to do a bit of sanding around them and apply some paint, even on the antenna bases. Not worried about looks, it's over 6.5' up in the air.
Is there anyone else here that had to deal with a situation like this?

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 41
If their not leaking now I'd just mount 3 new antennas up on that roof...might keep people from messing with you.
Thanks, might keep the catalytic converter in place at the drive-through LOL.
This truck barely fits in the garage as it is :) it's nice to do maintenance out of the wind (and dust).

Flex Seal

That was a joke. But you can probably use some roof silicone for RVs and make a smooth dome over each one after cleaning it good.

Could do this, there might be some better looking ones. but I would install some antennas instead.

I would find just a whip, like this. Maybe hook up a scanner, listen to local fire.

If I understand what I'm seeing in the pics, the drilled holes were not protected so rust grew from that, made the paint chip off and the rust spread.

If that is the case, then I would sand (or wire wheel in a rotary tool) off all the loose paint and rust, then a rusty metal primer, then decide whether to color coat it or put some silicone caulking on. The rusty metal primer should be given a long time to cure before a top coat, at least 3+ days based on what I'm seeing of your cool, and high humidity weather.

After you do that, if you want to put caps on then I'd do that too if they're not too expensive, though I expect that you'd want to mask off the threads on the mount while painting in order to get caps to thread on later.

Last edited:
I’ve mounted those before. I prefer to paint the metal before installing the mount. That said, they aren’t small holes. I vote for putting short, center loaded 2m ham antennas up there and putting sealant over the bases after they are screwed down!

sorry - I know that won’t help you get in the garage…

My new to me SSV 2009 Expedition has 3 antenna bases on the roof with a little bit of rust around them.
I'm trying to prevent further damage and moisture intrusion. I can't think of a personal need for antennas.
The simplest thing I can think of is to do a bit of sanding around them and apply some paint, even on the antenna bases. Not worried about looks, it's over 6.5' up in the air.
Is there anyone else here that had to deal with a situation like this?
Remove the antenna base and grind the sheet metal flat. Primer any bare metal with etch primer.

Cut an oval piece of metal slightly larger than the hole width wise. Glue a stud of some kind that you can later detach / grind flat. Use auto body panel adhesive and glue it in place and hold upwards pressure temporarily while it dries. You may need a heat gun to speed this up so you can let go of it.

Than grind / fill / primer / paint the area to match.

1678717213735.jpg

Someone with a phillips screwdriver could be a rascal and have a little fun at your expense.
Huh? There's nothing with a Philips there?

To remove these, unscrew the outer ring with a crescent or properly sized open-end wrench on the flats. The inner part will not go down through the hole like you might expect. Instead move the inner part to the side until the lug on the bottom clears the hole, then tilt it out and lift up. Either pull all the cable out through the hole or cut the cable.

Huh? There's nothing with a Philips there?

To remove these, unscrew the outer ring with a crescent or properly sized open-end wrench on the flats. The inner part will not go down through the hole like you might expect. Instead move the inner part to the side until the lug on the bottom clears the hole, then tilt it out and lift up. Either pull all the cable out through the hole or cut the cable.
Excellent advice, got the worst offender out!

Remove the antenna base and grind the sheet metal flat. Primer any bare metal with etch primer.

Cut an oval piece of metal slightly larger than the hole width wise. Glue a stud of some kind that you can later detach / grind flat. Use auto body panel adhesive and glue it in place and hold upwards pressure temporarily while it dries. You may need a heat gun to speed this up so you can let go of it.

Than grind / fill / primer / paint the area to match.

View attachment 144833
This is spoon feeding with a golden spoon (if it works :)), thank you!!!
Here is some progress, straightened the sheet metal somewhat and installed the backing with jbweld, it may help others.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 11
Well, it's done. I skipped the bondo and applied more layers or primer (Rustoleum marine). Topped it all off with 3 layers of undiluted paint (Rustoleum marine). I ended up using lamps to help dry/cure, the epoxy took the longest.
Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0060.jpg