Best way through New Jersey?

Allrivght Bobbers, going to Philly this weekend. Crossing the ME-NH border at 0930 Friday, returning Sunday.

The eastbound tolls along the NJ turnpike and GW bridge are... aggressive. I don't mind paying a few tolls, but I don't want to pay a bunch. Have EZPass.

Strongly considering the Cuomo/Tappan Zee bridge for at least the eastbound return. Seems the GW westbound tolls are ignored.

Considering the Garden State Parkway instead of the NJ turnpike, but have heard it gets more traffic. Commuter traffic? Summer traffic? Both may be applicable.

Not on an incredible time crunch, would invest an hour for an easier drive. It's a 7-8 hour drive for me.

Any favorite routes?

Last edited:
On a Friday you got a lot of shore traffic. The earlier you get on the parkway they better.
Commuter traffic can be heavy too though. Maybe let Waze show you the fastest route.

I lived in Cape May for two years and my route was the Lewes Delaware car ferry. Then down to Norfolk and escape west to the rest of the world. A circuitous route for sure and $$. Good for the dozens of reasons I don't live there anymore.

1718291225682.jpg

Visit Delaware

I remember bring my brand new 1996 Saturn SL1 on that ferry when there was a bad storm, It was the last trip that day due to the storm.
Big waves crashing over the front all over my brand new car. That week I went to the car wash multiple times to get the salt off of it.
I went to shipboard fire training with a few of the crew from the ferry.

The Parkway parallels the shoreline. You can come down the Parkway and switch over to the Turnpike in Edison. You can exit the turnpike at exit 7 and hit I-295 South down to Walt Whitman bridge if you're headed to South Philly or the Ben Franklin for center city. The Parkway is five lanes of crazy. LOL.

From NJ NY border take I87 north to Albany, then Rt 7 east to Bennington VT and Rt 9 to NH. EZPass doesn't give any discount for out of state cars so you don't really save anything.

I lived in Cape May for two years and my route was the Lewes Delaware car ferry. Then down to Norfolk and escape west to the rest of the world. A circuitous route for sure and $$. Good for the dozens of reasons I don't live there anymore.

View attachment 224686
Visit Delaware
We vacation in Cape May and I always make a point of bringing the bicycle. Ride the bike over to the ferry terminal and cross over in about 90 minutes to Delaware and then ride around into Cape Henlopen and Fort Miles. Ride through the trails and come out by Rehoboth beach. There's a great deal of history and nature in that area. Then back to the ferry, grab an adult beverage and sit back and relax. Then back to Cape May. It's usually about 35-40 miles depending if I zig or if I zag. It's always a day I look forward to all year.

Avoid NYC traffic too, if you don't plan on stopping there.

The problem with NYC is not just the standard traffic. Not long ago, I was stuck in a 9 hour jam in NYC. I tried to escape the blockage, but could not reach a moving exit.

It was a truck crash that blocked the road and police activity on the exit.

I will drive hours out of my way to avoid that area. DC too.

TLDR: Ya never know, epic jam could be anytime there.

Nj Turnpike southbound usually moves very well off peak hours and gets you to the PHL doorstep. The GWB is a major bottleneck but once you clear it you are on the NJTPK. Tappan Zee or Coumo we take when traveling from north west Jersey to Boston route 287 to 80 west then 206 until it connects to 195 then 295 south. More indirect but could be worth the trouble depending on GWB NYC traffic. Route 80 is rather crazy…fast hilly and crazy drivers. Turnpike is straight flat and fast

I suggest crossing at Tappan Zee and taking 287 around to at least I-78.

I've driven from VA to Maine and Cape Cod once each. The first time, I went up I-95/the NJ Turnpike and don't remember where I crossed the Hudson, but can't imagine I would have taken the GW bridge.

The next time, I went through Harrisburg, PA, to avoid DC-Baltimore-Philly altogether. I-78 to 287 and across the Tappan Zee bridge. 287 was wide, smooth, and clear at that time. Cicadas so loud we could hear them with windows up and A/C running.

The Parkway parallels the shoreline. You can come down the Parkway and switch over to the Turnpike in Edison. You can exit the turnpike at exit 7 and hit I-295 South down to Walt Whitman bridge if you're headed to South Philly or the Ben Franklin for center city. The Parkway is five lanes of crazy. LOL.
Tappan Zee , GSP, Turnpike best way to that area considering the time of day.

Travelling to Philly from NJ, I normally take I-295 South in NJ to one of the Delaware River crossings (Walt Whitman or Commodore Barry Bridges) to I-95 south to Philly.

Returning would be the same, but I would definitely take the Tappan Zee (now Mario Cuomo) Bridge. It is much cheaper and usually flows better than the GWB. Then hop on the Merritt Parkway to I-95, or direct to I-95, depending on what your GPS or the traffic reports are saying. There is almost always construction on the Merritt that causes backups. However, it is a more pleasant ride than 95.

Keep in mind that the Hudson River crossings are tolls only when heading east. They are free west bound. Current toll for the Mario Cuomo is $6.61 for non-NY EZ Pass, and $7.48 for Tolls by Mail. GWB is $17.63 for Tolls by Mail!!!

As you get closer to NY/NJ/PA, start tuning into AM 880 (WCBS) or AM 1010 (WINS). Both are all new radio stations with strong signals and traffic reports every 10 minutes. CBS is on the 8's (1:08, 1:18, 1:28...) and WINS is on the 10's. Make your decisions based on their reports.

Good luck and listen to the traffic reports. There are lots of potential problems on that drive.

Four or so miles after the I-84 bridge over the Hudson is the NY Throughway (I-87, at that point). Go south.
Going around 287 counter-clockwise (post #15) is longer but tempting. It's not immune from traffic either.
This route does expose you to more westbound options.

The most direct way:
I-87 (NY Throughway) Exit #15 in Suffern, NY deposits you on 287. You can also take Rt.17 southbound.
Take Rt. 17southbound to Rt. 3 eastbound for a bit (like, 1.0 mile) and get on the NJ Turnpike (I-95 by another name) south.
You'll see MetLife Stadium (Jets/Giants) to the north..

The trouble is a constriction to two lanes on Rt. 17 in Rochelle Park.
This is located south of the intersection of Routes 4 + 17 in Paramus.
People do merge it well. It's not a deal breaker.

Back