Best wax for vehicle stored outside in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 007
Too bad it stains other finishes and leaves a so, so look after application.

Never had that problem. You are not supposed to use it over other finishes. Applied correctly it has the best, longest lasting gloss, along with the easiest on / off application. Perhaps you're not applying it correctly?

Originally Posted By: billt460
Too bad it stains other finishes and leaves a so, so look after application.

Never had that problem. You are not supposed to use it over other finishes. Applied correctly it has the best, longest lasting gloss, along with the easiest on / off application. Perhaps you're not applying it correctly?

Are you using paste or liquid?

I live in South Florida, the bright sun destroys everything here. It's no joke, leftover cars on the dealership's lot have already started to deteriorate when compared to cars just showing up.

I was going to suggest a vinyl wrap. As I'm not convinced any wax or "sealant" will help. I wax my cars with NXT all the time and the trunk of my Jag looks like a kindergartner painted it. The paint under the clearcoat is losing it's silver color.

I don't know if you specifically want a wax, or if you're just using that term in an old-timey way. But, your best choice is not a wax at all, but instead a sealant or ceramic.

The sealant will last you much longer than a traditional wax. Yes, "nu finish" was one of the original polymer sealants, but they've also come a long way since then. Look at Adam's paint sealant, or Poor Boys. Note these sealants are just as easy to apply as waxes, but they simply last much longer, especially given your high-heat application. A wax will be [censored] out after a month. The sealant is going to last you 6-8 months minimum, and some up to a year.

If you want to "correct" your paint prior to application, the ceramic is the way to go. Ceramics aren't really any harder to apply, but they just require greater prep to the paint surface. But, you'll get more than a year of protection from a ceramic.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Nu Finish?

Beat me to it. I think it protects the best by far..... In any weather or climate.

I disagree. There are others that look better and last longer, and they don't stain trim...Collinite, Klasse, Duragloss, and Zaino all have longer lasting and better looking products...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Nu Finish?

Beat me to it. I think it protects the best by far..... In any weather or climate.

I disagree. There are others that look better and last longer, and they don't stain trim...Collinite, Klasse, Duragloss, and Zaino all have longer lasting and better looking products...

thumbsup2.gif
I used Nu Finish a few times and wasn't impressed at all.

Guess I am getting old and lazy looking for that one do all product!

If you want something easy then you can buy a cheap electric buffer at Walmart to help spread a liquid wax super thin and evenly. Use the foam bonnet to apply the liquid sealant. Something like Collinitue 845. Then switch bonnets to the microfiber removal bonnet. It's fun and easy to do instead of being a chore.

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Maguiars Cleaner Wax

why would a cleaner wax be your choice when you haven't even seen the paint?

Not only that, but Meguiars Cleaner Wax has HORRIBLE durability, especially in hot weather. I have a tub, and I have used it on multiple occasions on various cars. It does leave a coat of wax, and it does look good for a short time, but here in the Phoenix sun and heat especially, it's pretty much dead after 2 or 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, Megs Cleaner Wax has its place, but it's not what you reach for when you want durability.

This is going to be the case with most "cleaner wax"es.. as the wax is more of an "also ran" in terms of its effectiveness.. and wax is already fighting an uphill battle in hot environments.

If you want good protection, especially in strong sun and heat, a quality sealant is what you want, or if you're up to the task, a coating. Top it with wax if you like, to give it more shine and pop, but your base needs to be something more durable.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
If you car is "Stored" outdoors the best protection is a car cover.

I must disagree with this statement, strongly. A car cover is going to get blown around by wind, etc.. and ultimately will end up chafing your paint and leave swirls and other unpleasant wear marks.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I must disagree with this statement, strongly. A car cover is going to get blown around by wind, etc.. and ultimately will end up chafing your paint and leave swirls and other unpleasant wear marks.

With cheap ill fitting car covers I can see that being a problem. Nicer quality Custom fitted car covers can be had for

Last edited:

With cheap ill fitting car covers I can see that being a problem. Nicer quality Custom fitted car covers can be had for div>

I suppose if the car is being parked and actually "stored" long term, without being driven, this could be a reasonable way to go.

However, if the car is going to be driven regularly, I have to question it as a practical approach. In my case, my Fusion gets parked in my driveway when I'm at home, and it gets driven every day, so I know that I'm not going through the hassle of putting the cover on, taking it off, over and over. In this kind of situation, a properly applied coat of coating/sealant is absolutely the way to go.

This is an older car, 1999 SLK Supercharged, which I bought used and paint was kind of abused. This is a daily driver that was out in the Texas sun 5 or 6 days a week. Garaged at night.
I never buffed or polished it.
Waxed with Nu Finish and every time the paint just got smoother, deeper, and more wet looking. Unfortunately it was run over and totaled by a huge commercial truck a little less then 2 years ago. I replaced it with a used 2013 SLK.

Darn nice looking - I picked up a can of Nu Finish paste wax and may carefully apply to my own car versus the daughter's beater I bought it for .
Originally Posted By: Stevie
This is an older car, 1999 SLK Supercharged, which I bought used and paint was kind of abused. This is a daily driver that was out in the Texas sun 5 or 6 days a week. Garaged at night.
I never buffed or polished it.
Waxed with Nu Finish and every time the paint just got smoother, deeper, and more wet looking. Unfortunately it was run over and totaled by a huge commercial truck a little less then 2 years ago. I replaced it with a used 2013 SLK.

With cheap ill fitting car covers I can see that being a problem. Nicer quality Custom fitted car covers can be had for div>

I suppose if the car is being parked and actually "stored" long term, without being driven, this could be a reasonable way to go.

However, if the car is going to be driven regularly, I have to question it as a practical approach. In my case, my Fusion gets parked in my driveway when I'm at home, and it gets driven every day, so I know that I'm not going through the hassle of putting the cover on, taking it off, over and over. In this kind of situation, a properly applied coat of coating/sealant is absolutely the way to go.

Something I have found with car covers is they are dust magnets, and I'm talking about the inside of the cover. I have not seen one yet, no matter how much you spend on them, that doesn't make the car dustier after the cover has been on the car. I can take a freshly detailed car and put a cover on it, and when the cover comes off, the car will be covered with dust...and I have not found a way to keep them from attracting dust...

When we had more cars I'd keep my Saab under a cover. My rule was simple - the cover doesn't go on unless the car was just washed and dried. Doing so kept grit off the surface and out of the fabric. I used a cover made of weathershield fabric.

I did this for many years and never encountered any issues at all with scratching or marring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back