Best VW 507 00 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: BTLew81

Pablo...all the respect in the world for you, but whats the sulfated ash on DEO? Issue is that this car has a DPF, and too high of a SA content CAN lead to DPF damage. I'd love to use DEO, but have not seen where it is comparable to a 507.

The sulfated ash content of DEO = 1.0% (by weight). I doubt that would harm a DPF, but again - I'm not recommending he use this oil. I'm saying I would run it, and it's a great oil for this application.

They do not harm
many many other DPF on any other engines and exhausts so why would they harm a VW or MB -- DPF ?

If you can not answer the question -- it has been answered .

The VW / MB specs are way out of reality and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badnews

You flaunt those specs like it is the spoken word of GOD

look at them and figure them out

I can certainly figure them out - can you?
I am not a god, but you sure write like a troll.

Charlie

troll = translates into I have no argument to counter you with so I will resort to name calling

your acceptance of my facts has been acknowledged

thank you

Originally Posted By: badnews
troll = translates into I have no argument to counter you with so I will resort to name calling

your acceptance of my facts has been acknowledged

thank you

No offense but I don't consider what you wrote to be facts. The many posts I've seen m37Charlie write have been very informative. You should try to learn from him, as we all should.

I learn from study not listening to one spout things without the facts or links to back them up.

I am here to learn and I have learned . Some people know of what they speak others just speak.

I speak of no one in particular now because I am still learning , but I do not tolerate one that just blows smoke

As to who one feels is in the right, that is ones choice , choose wisely

Last edited:
I am using M1 ESP 5W-40 in my (out of warranty) '09 JSW.

Despite the slightly higher 40C viscosity and HTHS, I have not seen any reduction in fuel economy.

Tim

Why are you worrying about oil on your Golf? You have 3yr /36k maintenance included. Let them use what they chose for 507.00 oil until you are out of your free maintenance term.

I just picked up a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG :)

Originally Posted By: Marco Esquandoles
Why are you worrying about oil on your Golf? You have 3yr /36k maintenance included. Let them use what they chose for 507.00 oil until you are out of your free maintenance term.

Makes sense to me. Besides, if specs have changed because of warranty on the cat, people can still make a choice. They can use the specified oil to protect their cat warranty, or they can not worry about that. If the cat survives, which it probably will, then great. If it doesn't, so be it. A premature cat failure is far from the end of the world.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Marco Esquandoles

Makes sense to me. Besides, if specs have changed because of warranty on the cat, people can still make a choice. They can use the specified oil to protect their cat warranty, or they can not worry about that. If the cat survives, which it probably will, then great. If it doesn't, so be it. A premature cat failure is far from the end of the world.

The bigger issue is not just the cat, but the whole multi-thousand dollar emissions system of the Clean Diesel TDIs.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
The bigger issue is not just the cat, but the whole multi-thousand dollar emissions system of the Clean Diesel TDIs.

Well, that could be a problem. How sticky has VW been on the issue? Are they actually supplying warranty-specified oils in their service plans? A few year back, VW of North America was not.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Well, that could be a problem. How sticky has VW been on the issue? Are they actually supplying warranty-specified oils in their service plans? A few year back, VW of North America was not.

Indeed, just like it has been for some years now, some dealers do, some don't.

What actual impact that has on the engine and emissions systems, I don't know. That would take years for someone to find out.

Indeed, just like it has been for some years now, some dealers do, some don't.

What actual impact that has on the engine and emissions systems, I don't know. That would take years for someone to find out.

Just noticed your signature. Are any of the Royal Purples speced for VW TDIs? A buddy has one, I believe a 2005 vintage, and he's been curious. I haven't come across anything.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I'd go to Pep Boys and get the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40. I personally don't cotton to using 5w30 in diesels. While the M1ESPFM isn't technically 507.00 rated, it is MB 229.51 rated which IMO is certainly good enough.

The OP asked for advice, your's is the best advice in this thread. During the warranty period, MAYBE the 5w30 ESP Formula, but the 5w40 ESP Formula M would be my first choice too.

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
I would vote for Mobil as well at least it is a true synthetic. I know but I could not help it!

I hate to break the bad news to you. All the Mobil 1 ESP oils are hyrdocracked group III.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Re DEO vs 507:
507 is based on ACEA C3. Which not only specifies ash Mercedes in page 223.2 of
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?session_id=&navigation_path=&language_id=1
allow use of 228.51 oils but not 228.31 in DPF equipped vehicles.
What's the difference? 228.31 is essentially CJ4 and allows P up to 1200ppm. Whereas 228.51 allows only 800ppm P. Too much P will poison catalysts more quickly.

DEO fails in 2 key aspects for this application.
I wouldn't use it unless you are fond of replacing precious metal containing catalysts and the DPF more quickly than necessary.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for this information. I have a new direction in which to focus my CJ4 studies.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I would vote for Mobil as well at least it is a true synthetic. I know but I could not help it!

I hate to break the bad news to you. All the Mobil 1 ESP oils are hyrdocracked group III.

How did you get Mobil to divulge that information?

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

Of course you have info from XM that they gave to you telling you this, right?

If it were mine, stay with the warranty recommendation

VW 507.00 5w30

After, VW 507.00 5w30

Total INEO 5w30 507.00

Mobil One 5w30 ESP VW 507.00

lesser known

Fuch's 5w30 VW 507.00 (factory fill)

If you are so inclined to go to a (non) VW 507.00 rated oil but close enough MB 229.51, aka low saps

Mobil One 5w40 ESP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back