Best VW 507 00 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister just got a 2010 Golf TDI with the DSG. Just curious to see if there's any BITOGers with the common-rail TDI, and what oil you're using.

Last edited:
There aren't a lot of choices, afaik. M1 5w-30 ESP (PepBoys) and Dealer Castrol SLX Pro.

I'd take the SLX.

If your truely talking the best, I agree Motul all the way

Bob fout is pretty savvy on the TDI. he may have some less expensive choices, but if it were mine I'd run motul

Last edited:
+1 We are running the M1 ESP in our 08 rabbit, but it has the 2.5L and so only needs a 502 oil. SInce 504 should be better/supercede 502, were using it, and it seems to do well. You can check my UOAs to see what kind of add packs youre dealing with...

I'd go to Pep Boys and get the Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40. I personally don't cotton to using 5w30 in diesels. While the M1ESPFM isn't technically 507.00 rated, it is MB 229.51 rated which IMO is certainly good enough.

Granted, I've seen what blinding following a VW specification (505.01 for my PD engined Golf) would do versus using a good 5w40 diesel rated oil that's suitable for your application (CJ-4, in my case).

I'm not trying to be 'smarter' than the VW engineers - smarter than the bean counters, certainly.

Pep Boys has 5 qt's Mobil 1 and a M1 oil filter for $29.99. Last time they had this promotion, they let people get the M1 ESP for the sale price. If you have use for a M1 oil filter on another application, this seems to be a good price.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
My sister just got a 2010 Golf TDI with the DSG. Just curious to see if there's any BITOGers with the common-rail TDI, and what oil you're using.

IF I owned that car (nice!) I would run Amsoil DEO 5W-40. I'm not telling you to run it, and Amsoil doesn't even list it as recommended for 507.00 VW apps. But without a doubt I would use it.

An '09 JSW TDI here.

We run the Castrol 507.00 5w-30 from the dealer, and it's been excellent. Perfect break in with zero consumption.

I would take all non-507.00 recommendations with great caution, if you want warranty coverage.

I use the Mobil 507.00 from PepBoys in my Jetta TDI simply because it's less expensive and easier to obtain than the dealership Castrol SLX Professional LL03.

The Mobil carries more builder approvals than the Castrol but I have only one UOA on my first fill oil so I don't have hard data to say whether one oil performed better than the other.

The Castrol bottles are prettier,, the Mobil smells better and performed better in my freezer test. Any 507,00 oil will serve you well.

[/quote]

IF I owned that car (nice!) I would run Amsoil DEO 5W-40. I'm not telling you to run it, and Amsoil doesn't even list it as recommended for 507.00 VW apps. But without a doubt I would use it.

[/quote]

Pablo...all the respect in the world for you, but whats the sulfated ash on DEO? Issue is that this car has a DPF, and too high of a SA content CAN lead to DPF damage. I'd love to use DEO, but have not seen where it is comparable to a 507.

That being said,I am currently using m1 5w30 ESP. I have been tempted to use the ESP 5w40, as I am not a fan of the 30wt in this car either. My top pick? Amsoil....if it works.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

Pablo...all the respect in the world for you, but whats the sulfated ash on DEO? Issue is that this car has a DPF, and too high of a SA content CAN lead to DPF damage. I'd love to use DEO, but have not seen where it is comparable to a 507.

The sulfated ash content of DEO = 1.0% (by weight). I doubt that would harm a DPF, but again - I'm not recommending he use this oil. I'm saying I would run it, and it's a great oil for this application.

Well, I am speaking from memory, which is a dangerous thing... :)

I believe VW 507 specifies SA of less than or equal to .8%. So, sure DEO is not over by much, but I would love to see some real world testing. Don't get me wrong...I WANT to find a reason to run DEO. I think it would perform well....just nervous about that VERY expensive DPF behind me....

Oh...maybe I'll get the guts to run it. I figure if the car isnt consuming oil, the DPF should not be a problem anyway.

Re DEO vs 507:
507 is based on ACEA C3. Which not only specifies ash Mercedes in page 223.2 of
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?session_id=&navigation_path=&language_id=1
allow use of 228.51 oils but not 228.31 in DPF equipped vehicles.
What's the difference? 228.31 is essentially CJ4 and allows P up to 1200ppm. Whereas 228.51 allows only 800ppm P. Too much P will poison catalysts more quickly.

DEO fails in 2 key aspects for this application.
I wouldn't use it unless you are fond of replacing precious metal containing catalysts and the DPF more quickly than necessary.

Charlie

How soon did cats need replacing in the days before SM oil? I think SM oils were introduced when the government made the manufacturers increase the warranty on cats from somewhere around 80.000 miles to 125,000 miles.

Last edited:
Oh, and CJ4 oils (like DEO) have a third more sulfur than C3 oils as well. (0.4% vs. 0.3%)
Diesel cats are totally different than gasoline engined cats.
Not only do they have an oxidizing cat like a gas engine to burn soot and HC with O2 and NOx, but then there's a reduction cat to reduce NOx with NH3 released from (catalytic) breakdown of urea.
This is what is poisoned by P and S.

Charlie

I just went through this stuff with a MB engine
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 -----------

Nothing will blow up the engine or cause harm
when folks argue .08 SAPS vs 1.0 SAPS -- come on ... be real

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Re DEO vs 507:
507 is based on ACEA C3. Which not only specifies ash Mercedes in page 223.2 of
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?session_id=&navigation_path=&language_id=1
allow use of 228.51 oils but not 228.31 in DPF equipped vehicles.
What's the difference? 228.31 is essentially CJ4 and allows P up to 1200ppm. Whereas 228.51 allows only 800ppm P. Too much P will poison catalysts more quickly.

DEO fails in 2 key aspects for this application.
I wouldn't use it unless you are fond of replacing precious metal containing catalysts and the DPF more quickly than necessary.

Charlie

You flaunt those specs like it is the spoken word of GOD

look at them and figure them out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back