Best value 0w30 options for Canadian customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good value Synthetic 0w30 oil.

I've been using German Castrol/Castrol 0w-30 oil in 1L bottles. This option without any sort of sale is somewhere around $11 or $12 a litre

I had tried both Esso XD-3 0w30 which is now rebranded as MOBIL Delvac 222 0w30 is roughyl $7.25 a litre if I buy the case of 12-1L bottles. These are only available from two distributors in the Toronto area, McDougall and NOCO, both of which say if I set up an account they may be able to give me better pricing.

Any other options I'm not seeing? I brought over a couple jugs of the Mobil 1 0w-30 fuel economy when I did a US road trip not too long ago but that's long since run out.

Are all of the Ow30s above comparable to German Castrol/Castrol 0w30? Is it something I can run all year round as I had been doing?

A 0w40 Euro GC/M1 is near the same viscosity as your GC, and they are available in big jugs for a lot less.

0w40?

Okay sure. Does it have to say EURO on the bottle? Or are there specific ones that make the most sense to replace the German Castrol?

Petro Canada has two 0W30 HDEOs with passenger car approvals. Probably they'd match the other distributors prices for similar oils?
Perhaps you could buy a couple 20L pails for more discount?

Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 at Canadian Tire when it goes on sale (every six weeks or so) for 35%-40% off. In 2016, it was around $31.50 per jug when on sale.

Last edited:
That's an option for sure. That would cover me off for a good while. Though some suggested that 0w40 might be the way to go now.

I think I would try Mobil 1 5W30 EP (Extended Performance) if it meets the specs for your car.

I think I would prefer the EP and forgo the benefits of a 0W30 in favor of 5W30 long drain oil as I don't think it would make any difference at all.

EP is usually a buck more per jug at Canadian Tire when it is on sale for around 32$ a 5L jug.

I would use Mobil EP for 1 year or 20,000 kms in my Fit without worries.

Couple guys on here are getting a good price on Amsoil in Canada; their 0w30 is top notch.

Last edited:
When I want a synthetic I just buy Canadian Tire's house brand Formula 1 Synthetic 5W30. I know that's not exactly what you asked for but it often goes on sale for $24 / 5 litres and it's made by Shell. Doesn't get cold enough in Toronto to need an 0W30 oil IMO.

^Wow CT has a house branded Euro oil would love to try it but I have OPD (Oil Panic Disorder) in that I just want to use up everything I have and not hoard oil anymore so I can try different stuff out of boredom.

I would love to try Amsoil SSO 0W20 at one point though and use it for better or for worse for 1 year 20,000 km then get a UOA at CAT near where I work and post on BITOG for fun.

Haha. The folks at CT must peruse these boards
cool.gif

Just saw a preview of it's upcoming flyer......MM F1 Euro on sale for $30.59 starting this Friday.

Can Imperial Oil give you a better price on the 0w-30 if you buy by the 5 gallon pail? I'm paying less than that for Delvac 1! As for other options, you might check the Petro-Canada distributor, as already mentioned, or perhaps Shell. They might have the Rotella 0w-30 option.

Other non 30 grade options have been mentioned already.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
cool.gif

Just saw a preview of it's upcoming flyer......MM F1 Euro on sale for $30.59 starting this Friday.

SO i'm heading over to buy a few jugs I guess.

Take a trip to Buffalo, NY and get some oil at Walmart. Looks like 100 miles one way. Then fill up your tank for $2.35 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
cool.gif

It's a SOPUS oil, so probably GTL, with an additive package close to Pennzoil Platinum. I bought it in Calgary on sale December 17th for CDN $28.19 for a 5 litre jug. Just wait for the inevitable "sale". They regularly discount it a few times per year by 40% and less often (but regularly) by 45%.

CT also discounts regularly Castrol 0W40 by 45%, typically to a price of ~$32.50 for 5 litre jug.

Watch their flyers. Available on-line, but also thrown in my mailbox by Canada Post each Thursday.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Take a trip to Buffalo, NY and get some oil at Walmart. Looks like 100 miles one way. Then fill up your tank for $2.35 a gallon.

We have to fill our tanks with each USD costing us $1.36 CDN. Not as great a deal as it used to be when the dollars were closer in value.......

$2.35/gallon is 0.85 CDN per litre, after factoring the exchange rate. Factoring in the cost of the drive to Buffalo, its more cost-effective to buy his gas in Toronto at CDN $1.10 per litre.

.... grrrr that CT Euro oil has a 0W30...

I guess I could drop by CT and pick up only 2 jugs!!! The price is insane would like to just read the back of the jug and maybe walk away... I need some plastic hangars anyway
smile.gif

This oil looks like it could do 1 year, 20,000 kms easily and a 30 wt would be really resistant to fuel dilution and I get to see for the first time what a 30 wt would do for my valvetrain noise after my valves are adjusted and see if it lowers my mpg noticeably etc or reduces my engine responsiveness being a bit thicker.

No more oil after this... Maybe SSO 0W20...

I will call this oil at 30$ a jug for a LL Euro 0W the next sleeper oil for Canadians I will keep it in mind for sure. This is probably GTL Pennzoil Ultra Euro in sheep's clothing.

CHEERS TO YOU SIR1900!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back