Best Used Hatchback?

My family and I are planning on buying a good used hatchback, 2017 - 2019. Options we're looking at are Honda Fit, Kia Soul, and Kia Rio. We could afford a new one but why take the depreciation hit? We've found several with 5k - 10k miles on them.

There are pros and cons to each. Honda has the CVT that we're trying to avoid, but Honda makes great engines. Kia's new IVT has not been tested out yet, not to mention the fires. Rios depreciate fast, and can still get picked up with less than 15k miles on them. Many are coming off of lease.

We're planning on keeping it for at least 10 years and put maybe 8 - 10k miles per year on it. 1/2 and 1/2 city and highway driving. What are your experiences with them, if any?

I have found Honda Fit to be a good car. Reminds me of the way Civics used to be before they blossomed in size. I wouldn't worry about the CVT.

I'm not a Kia fan, but you might be able to get a smoking deal on a used one because of the depreciation. It probably wouldn't be good enough for me to get one though.

I would also consider a VW Golf, if you are open to suggestions.

Not a hatch but you can get a new leftover 2020 Hyundai Elantra for 13,500 plus tax, title and license. If you can’t find any of those in Fl then I’d hop a flight to OKLAHOMA where they still have them. Someone on here did that deal. Used ones from rental car companies with 30k miles are going for that price. Might as well get a new one. The 21 Elantra was redesigned which is why last year’s model is so discounted.

Last edited:
Mazda 3 with Skyactive engines. 2015 and up. Good looking and handle beautifully.
Six speed auto. I'm a little biased with a 2017 Grand Touring model, but have 94,000 miles and only had to put Mazda brake pads at 75,000 not needed yet, but figured I do them and changed spark plugs. Oil gets changed every 5000 miles runs and handles beautifully with the 2.5 motor.
Has all of the bells and whistles. Heads up display , radar cruise control, nav, bose, leather, power drivers seat, heated steering wheel and seats, dual climate control, auto braking, blind spot, sunroof etc.etc.

I don't think you could go wrong w/ any you list, plus you live in FL so rust shouldn't be an issue. I'd even add the Chevy Cruze hatch to the list. A co-worker of mine has had one for a few years and loves it.

I was going to suggest a Subaru, but to me that's kind of pointless in FL.

The flat land of Florida is easy on transmissions, and Honda makes a good CVT. Look for a Honda with a good CarFax history of regular oil changes. You do not want to buy a used vehicle that was driven too long without oil changes and has a bad motor because of that abuse. There are many of them like that out there.

Find a Honda with less than 30 K miles on it, and change the CVT fluid using only Honda fluid every 30 K miles. You can get original Honda fluids and parts at lower cost than a dealer at some of the online stores. Avoid Amazon and e-bay you may get counterfeit from them and usually there are better prices at the online Honda parts stores.

There are YouTube videos on how to change the CVT fluid on Hondas. They are very easy to do, and there is no filter to change. However you only get 1/2 the fluid out when you drain it, so one drain and fill leaves you with 1/2 old fluid. But apparently that amount of change is good enough.

If you want to do a better job, drive it some after the change to mix the new with the old well, and do a second drain and fill. Some people even do 3.

If it is an AWD the rear end fluid should be changed every 15 K miles. Again there are YouTube videos, and it is very easy to do.

Last edited:
I believe the Pre- 2019 Rios all have 6 speed autos. IVT came out in 2020. That would be my go to.
Yes , 6 speed auto . The '18 and '19 Accent have same powertrain . Our '18 Accent has averaged 39 m.p.g. calculated since purchased in the fall of '18 . The computer for Avg. MPG is 3 > 4 m.p.g. higher than the calculated . The Accent has 22,000+ miles . Use synthetic oil since new . Easy access for filters ( oil , engine , cabin ) . Drove the '18 and '19 RIO hatch and liked them . Plenty of room behind the rear seat and gets a cargo cover standard .

There have been reports of engine failures and engine fires in Kia's and Hyundai's without great warranty support. Not sure of which models, but I'd avoid them on principle.

I like to drive Volkswagen's but I've never dared buy one because of reliability concerns.

I'm not a fan of CVT transmissions in general but I expect Honda could make one that would be reliable. If I were thinking of a Honda Fit I'd be looking for a manual transmission, though I appreciate that wouldn't suit everyone.

Best bet may be a Mazda 3 hatchback. The only knock against them is corrosion and that shouldn't be an issue in Florida.

There have been reports of engine failures and engine fires in Kias and Hyundai without great warranty support. Not sure of which models, but I'd avoid them on principle.

I like to drive Volkswagensbut I've never dared buy one because of reliability concerns.

I'm not a fan of CVT transmissions in general but I expect Honda could make one that would be reliable. If I were thinking of a Honda Fit I'd be looking for a manual transmission, though I appreciate that wouldn't suit everyone.

Best bet may be a Mazda 3 hatchback. The only knock against them is corrosion and that shouldn't be an issue in Florida.

Yup, Mazda FTW in this case....the others all have something questionable - and since you plan on 10 years of ownership, best to get rid of all the ?'s prior to buying.

Back