Best Synthetic Motor Oil - Warranty Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Of course if you want to stay with Amsoil products, which is fine, then stop the SSO and go to the XL. It is their only certified oil period.

Amsoil Synthetic Blend 15W-40 HDEO Product code PCO

If any warranty seller is giving you a hassle for choosing one of Amsoil's products recommended for that application, Amsoil would love to know about it. If in some very unlikely scenario, Amsoil is the cause of a failure Amsoil stands behind their products. It will be wise to read the Amsoil warranty and be prepared, that way you can rest extra easy.

The Critic hit on something that I did not see anyone else mention. A extended warranty is a service contract, a maintenance plan if you will for changing your oil, your others fluids general upkeep of your car. You need to read really close to the terms of agreement etc, many extended warranty plans require you to bring the automobile back to the dealer for oil changes!! I personally seen one which required 3k oil changes by the service contract/extended warranty even though the owners manual called for 7500 miles OCI.

I would follow the contract to the T, I doubt you will ever need the warranty, however you did purchase this...so take care not to breach any of the contract

I found the whole Amsoil line at an old hillbilly, redneck auto parts store in town. So I put the XL 5-20 in my 09 accord, should work well with the OLM going around 7k between changes.

if you are looking to use Synthetic Motor Oil I would go with PP.

I am using PP in my 2000 civic EX.

Andy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Amsoil Synthetic Blend 15W-40 HDEO Product code PCO

I apologize. I did not realize they had any oils but the XL line certified.

Here are all the oils Amsoil has certified( for the OP )according to the API site...

PCO 15W-40 CI-4/SL** August 8, 2010
XL 10W-30 SM/CF* August 8, 2010
XL 10W-40 SM/CF August 8, 2010
XL 5W-20 SM/CF* August 8, 2010
XL 5W-30 SM/CF* August 8, 2010

Originally Posted By: Pablo
If any warranty seller is giving you a hassle for choosing one of Amsoil's products recommended for that application, Amsoil would love to know about it. If in some very unlikely scenario, Amsoil is the cause of a failure Amsoil stands behind their products. It will be wise to read the Amsoil warranty and be prepared, that way you can rest extra easy.

I hear this a lot from Amsoil and sorry but it is foolish. What is Amsoil going to do if this happens? the answer is NOTHING as far as going after the mfg/warranty provider as they have no legs to stand on! People can put whatever trust and faith into Amsoil's warranty they feel comfortable with.

However, if a car mfg, or aftermarket warranty provider, says use an API certified oil, that it must met or exceed spec such and such, and you must change it by X # of miles, you have to follow it. If you ignore all of that and go with Amsoil's recommendation for one of their oils that fails to meet required ratings and certifications, and you exceed the max allowed mileage limit set forth by the warranty provider, then the consumer has a problem assuming it is an oil related problem.

Amsoil can claim they will take on the mfg/warranty provider all they want but they will lose. It won't happen often as the product line is very good but god help the poor sap who believes them and does have a problem. IF you have a warranty follow what the company furnishing that warranty says( car mfg or aftermarket doesn't matter )not what some aftermarket company tries to telll you. Once out of warranty do what you want.

Last edited:
The OCI in the extended warranty terms states every 4 months or 4,000 miles which is a waste of money and oil in my opinion.

My 2003 Honda Odyssey has 152,000 miles on it and the warranty is for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. So in theory it may take me up to 252,000 miles. Even though 252,000 seems like a high number to reach without a failure I think the Honda engine will do fine...it is not like the Odyssey automatic transmissions which are junk. Just visit the odyclub forum for verification of the A.T. issue.

I think "THE CRITIC" is correct because the response I just received from Amsoil is similar to what he stated. Below is their extact response:

"Robert,

Aftermarket warranties are essentially a contract between you and the issuing warranty company. You must abide by their rules to keep the warranty from being voided.

Tech Services"

Even though this was Amsoil's initial response I was told via email just yesterday that they are still looking at my entire 8 page contract to help me find a way to still use the SSO. I will keep the forum updated on this.

I am learning so much just from the responses to my initial post and I truly cannot thank everyone enough...this has all been very helpful. This forum has got to be one of the most helpful I have ever come across.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Say that you have an "oil related" failure. How would Honda go to prove that you are using non certified motor oil?

The best they can do is get an oil sample, and see if it stayed in grade of the proper weight that they prescribe for this motor.

This is to make sure that you aren't using something like a 20w50 during the middle of winter.

They ask for the receipts and check what you used. They have a book with the UPC codes for lubes.

Been there done that.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: JustinH
Say that you have an "oil related" failure. How would Honda go to prove that you are using non certified motor oil?

The best they can do is get an oil sample, and see if it stayed in grade of the proper weight that they prescribe for this motor.

This is to make sure that you aren't using something like a 20w50 during the middle of winter.

They ask for the receipts and check what you used. They have a book with the UPC codes for lubes.

Been there done that.

Except this guy won't be dealing with Honda, but rather, the warranty company.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Except this guy won't be dealing with Honda, but rather, the warranty company.

Which could be worst...

The reason for the 4k or 4000 miles whichever comes first is using ANY oil the chances of having a issue with the engine related to oil is nil.

Bill

Originally Posted By: DaddyBlogger
The OCI in the extended warranty terms states every 4 months or 4,000 miles which is a waste of money and oil in my opinion.

My 2003 Honda Odyssey has 152,000 miles on it and the warranty is for 5 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. So in theory it may take me up to 252,000 miles. Even though 252,000 seems like a high number to reach without a failure I think the Honda engine will do fine...it is not like the Odyssey automatic transmissions which are junk. Just visit the odyclub forum for verification of the A.T. issue.

I think "THE CRITIC" is correct because the response I just received from Amsoil is similar to what he stated. Below is their extact response:

"Robert,

Aftermarket warranties are essentially a contract between you and the issuing warranty company. You must abide by their rules to keep the warranty from being voided.

Tech Services"

Even though this was Amsoil's initial response I was told via email just yesterday that they are still looking at my entire 8 page contract to help me find a way to still use the SSO. I will keep the forum updated on this.

I am learning so much just from the responses to my initial post and I truly cannot thank everyone enough...this has all been very helpful. This forum has got to be one of the most helpful I have ever come across.

JMO but it sounds like your contract is pretty clear to me. 4 months and 4K tops. Period and end of story. Besides, did you not tell us earlier that this warranty company also requires the oil be API certified? If so than SSO is out because it is not in any weight. Go with the XL line if Amsoil is what you want to use.

I posted the API certified oils Amsoil has available but here is a link so you can verify that info yourself. No SSO oils certified...

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayCompanyInfo.asp?CompanyID=226450

I have to say I would not want to follow any advice to try and circumvent that warranty nor a loop hole that some company thinks they found to try and justify using their product in a manner not consistant with what the warranty says. Your call.
21.gif

4month/4K, 5W-20, and API certified( does it just say certified or does it say it has to have the Starburst seal? - they mean different things ) = pretty simple and straight forward to me? I worked many years in the automotive field and dealt with warranties and such at a dealer. The Amsoil oil you want to run to stay in compliance is their XL line. End of story.

BTW - is this one of those US Fidelis or some other warranty we see advertised on TV?

I am learning so much on this forum - thanks to all.

I had no idea that they could mean different things. I looked it up and it says it must have the API Certification Seal and shows the starburst symbol next to this statement.

This is an extended warranty through Warranty Direct. I am sure they are still a pain but they are suppossed to be one of the best third party type extended warranty companies.

So I might go with the Amsoil XL line, however some comments have made me curious about others...

Is the Pennzoil Ultra out yet and is it API Certified and in a 5W-20?

I also thought about Mobil 1 EP but found conflicting information on websites outside of this forum as to whether M1EP carried true API certification.

I am now convinced by all the responses that it would be unwise to continue using Amsoil SSO in order to satisfy the terms of the extended warranty contract. If I did not have this warranty I would continue using the SSO. When the "CRITIC's" comments matched the first response from Amsoil, sadly I knew my time with Amsoil SSO was over.

I bought this warranty for the sole purpose of the automatic transmission which is horrible for the 2nd generation Honda Odyssey. I have 152,000 miles on the original automatic transmission. I am active on the OdyClub forum and many report having their third transmission by my reported mileage; so I know my time must be up soon on my AT. Sadly they require I use the Honda Z1 ATF which is horrible in my opinion.

I truly appreciate the responses so far. Thanks once again.

Last edited:
This is an extended warranty through Warranty Direct. I am sure they are still a pain but they are suppossed to be one of the best third party type extended warranty companies.

I have heard good things about Warranty Direct, but I do not have any personal experience with them.

Is the Pennzoil Ultra out yet and is it API Certified and in a 5W-20?

Yes, it will be API certified. It should begin shipping towards the end of this month.

I bought this warranty for the sole purpose of the automatic transmission which is horrible for the 2nd generation Honda Odyssey. I have 152,000 miles on the original automatic transmission. I am active on the OdyClub forum and many report having their third transmission by my reported mileage; so I know my time must be up soon on my AT. Sadly they require I use the Honda Z1 ATF which is horrible in my opinion.

Most of the issues with the 2nd gen Odyssey transmissions are with the 99-01. The 02-04 transmissions are about average in the reliability department. While Hondacare will definitely cover transmission failures, are you sure that a third-party warranty will cover transmission failures? Most third party warranties will only cover failures due to manufacturer's defects, not normal wear. Also, even if they do cover the failure, it is likely that they will provide a used transmission for the repair, which is likely to cause the cycle to repeat.

Besides, transmission failures are not that expensive on a 2nd generation Odyssey. You can purchase a Honda remanufactured unit off eBay for $2100 shipped and pay a tech eight hours labor to swap the unit. That's $3k. I'm sure the warranty for your van was near $2k anyway. If I were, I would cancel the warranty and just have the money ready.

Sorry for taking this too much more off-topic, but here is an example of what I am referring to:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Auto-Warrant...te-wo-g7585.htm
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-warrant...ct-wi-8x538.htm
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-warranty/warranty-direct/warranty-direct-interstate-n-m77e3.htm

As you can see, if your transmission failed Warranty Direct is going to want a teardown of the unit. Honda dealers will not do transmission work besides swaps. Also, they may or may not authorize using OE parts.

I am learning so much on this forum - thanks to all.

I had no idea that they could mean different things. I looked it up and it says it must have the API Certification Seal and shows the starburst symbol next to this statement.

Yes, it is different. The Starburst seal means not only is the oil certified at the highest current service level( SM at this time )but it also meets certain fuel economy standards. An oil can be API certified to service level SM and not carry the Starburst seal. Look back to my 1st post to you and I show the 2 seals.

This is the info from API on it it if you want to read more...

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/2009_ENGINE_OIL_GUIDE.pdf

Glad to hear it isn't US Fidelis. Heard nothing but horror stories on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back